The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Another trigger puller - Legend LX

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

KakaduDreamer
Posted 2004-01-23 8:25 PM (#196687)
Subject: Another trigger puller - Legend LX

Howdy gang! I'm one of the newbies here at OFC, but you'll be hearing more from me in coming days and weeks!

Just a few hours ago, I received my Legend LX in beautiful Natural finish. Frankly, I'm still giddy, shaking with excitement...like a kid sitting beneath the Christmas tree.

I'll follow up with a longer post once I've had a chance to play it more extensively.

I am far from being an accomplished musician (I think I'm up to about 10 chords now) and I've only played a handful of acoustic guitars in my lifetime. But from my perspective, I think Kaman has created something really special with the LX Series. Even in my humble playing hands, this guitar's sound is fuller and more rich than anything I've ever played. It's beautiful! And I haven't even plugged in yet!

For now, I figure you would appreciate seeing these photos I took this evening:

Matt's Ovation Legend LX

Cheers,
Matt.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nils
Posted 2004-01-23 8:32 PM (#196688 - in reply to #196687)
Subject: Re: Another trigger puller - Legend LX

Very nice Matt. I'm looking forward to trying out an LX.

/\/\/
Nils
Posted 2004-01-23 8:40 PM (#196689 - in reply to #196687)

I just noticed that the neck laminations appear to be thinner on the LX than they are on my 5 piece neck O's. I wonder why they changed that?

/\/\/
dvd
Posted 2004-01-23 9:15 PM (#196690 - in reply to #196687)

Matt, she's a beaut! Thanks for the photos! We know how you'll be spending your weekend.

Maybe the narrower layers has something to do with the new truss rod design? It's hard to see the lamination in the "LX Tour" pics from the Ovation web page, though, so who knows.

Matt's next purchase?? Furniture. :p Just kidding.
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-23 9:18 PM (#196691 - in reply to #196687)

She's beautiful for sure. How's the action?
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-01-23 9:53 PM (#196692 - in reply to #196687)

Matt, great guitar! I absolutely love the honest, clean look it has. Very classy. Now go plug it in!
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-23 9:55 PM (#196693 - in reply to #196687)

Matt,
Beautiful guitar and really cool website!

I just "triggered" the Elite LX cousin. I know that giddy/shaking thing.

If you make it up my way we can do a Elite/Legend comparison! Probably call it two Mediocre Players with Exceptional Guitars!
KakaduDreamer
Posted 2004-01-27 5:41 PM (#196694 - in reply to #196687)

Hi everyone! I apologize for not responding sooner to share more of my thoughts about the new Legend LX I got last Friday. Hopefully you’ve had a chance to see the pictures I provided (see above for link). Anyway, I had my hands full with paintbrushes and sprayers over the weekend rather than on MY PRECIOUS. It was my wife's fault for making me spend all weekend painting! I’ve since forgiven her – and I was kind enough to play her a couple requested songs to demonstrate how nice my new guitar sounds.

I think I will take a “somewhat abbreviated” approach now with regards to describing my guitar but I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Frankly, I think "dvd" (aka. David) provided some wonderful, well articulated descriptions of his new Balladeer LX (in a different posting) that are equally applicable to my Legend LX. Based on David’s photos and well-written descriptions of the physical properties of his Balladeer LX, it would seem evident that both guitar have a lot in common.

First of all, I think any of you considering a new Ovation would be remiss if you didn’t seriously consider one of the LX Series models. Any of them – the Balladeer, Legend, or Elite are exceptional instruments. While I haven’t played many different guitars in my life, I’m convinced that these new LX Series models are something special!

To put it simply, my new guitar sounds wonderful! It offers up such a full and rich sound. I attribute much of that to the mid-depth bowl but I suspect it’s also because of the new “scalloped bracing” inside. While I’ve played other Ovations before, the main guitar I’ve spent my recent years with has been an old Washburn dreadnought style acoustic. Compared to it, the Legend LX has a deeper more “bassey” (is that a word? Probably not…) sound.

I’ll be honest, I’ve played MY PRECIOUS since I got it mostly unplugged, but when I plugged in to my little practice amp it sounded great too. Now don’t laugh too loud, but it’s a 10 watt ‘Rok Axe’ brand that I picked up from Wal-Mart a couple years ago. Overall, I prefer to play unplugged for now…it sounds so nice that way and I like to sit in the living room and play for my wife without all the plugs and wires hanging about. (I know, I probably should get something a little better than that Rok Axe! Perhaps it’s analogous to driving a brand new Porsche with cheap-ass, low grade fuel in it.)

The action on the Legend is phenomenal. In fact, the set up on it is perfect, at least to my humble musician’s eyes and ears. I don’t feel a need to mess with anything at all, just playing it straight out-of-the-box. It’s extremely easy to play, moving up and down the neck/fretboard. I most definitely wish I had more things to actually do whilst moving up and down it, but that’s a personal problem. Playing the Legend everyday should help remedy that!

I love the OP-Pro preamp. So far I've mostly messed around with the built-in tuner, which works great! No more blowing into my little round "harmonica tuner"!

I strongly considered the Balladeer LX but decided in the end upon the Legend because of my previous experience playing one. Also, I like some of the refinements that the Legend offers, such as the gloss finish, gold tuners and ebony fingerboard and bridge. I’m a real traditionalist when it comes to acoustic guitars – I like the center sound hole and the natural finish. It’s simple, clean and elegant.

Oh, and “dvd” / David – the reason I have no furniture in those photos of my new Legend LX is because…there is none! How do you think I managed to pay for it, the most expensive guitar I’ve ever owned! Sold all the furniture, but kept the wife, computer, and cat. ;-)

Now on a somewhat unrelated and final note, does anyone know where I can find the lyrics and chords (on the web) for the songs from “A Mighty Wind” movie. The film just cracks me up – the songs are great though!

Cheers & (Homemade) Beers,
Matt
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-27 10:13 PM (#196695 - in reply to #196687)

you could try here

http://amightywindonline.warnerbros.com/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)