The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Signal Path (Paul Templeton)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

WayneG
Posted 2004-01-24 9:58 AM (#196669)
Subject: Signal Path (Paul Templeton)

I am interested in improving my tone and keeping it consistent from venue to venue. I have studied Pauls rig in the album section. Which components are essential vs. nice to have? Which are the key elements in shaping your sound?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-24 11:23 AM (#196670 - in reply to #196669)
Subject: Re: Signal Path (Paul Templeton)

Wane, Unless you always carry carry your own sound system consistency isn't easy. Club systems vary enormously, especially in the quality of the monitors. The ears & skill of the house engineer is also a potential spanner in the works.

My rig is designed to take care of 4 or 5 instruments simultaneously depending on the situation, & send them all to a single channel on the board (guitar, slide guitar, dulcimer, mandolin, lap steel & sometimes Ashbory bass)If you use one or two instruments you wont need as much kit. If I had to break it down to the bare minimum it would be a DI box with EQ, so you can get a sound from the stage without relying on an engineer (Boss AD5, Baggs Para-Acoustic, Sans-Amp Acoustic DI, there's others) and a personal monitor/acoustic amp. I use a Gallien Krueger 200MV which I've had for nearly 20 years. In the case of venues with crappy monitors It's good to have a monitor you know the sound of and can trust. Only other thing I find essential is my Berhinger Shark feedback destroyer. A compressor is nice but certainly not essential. If you have a couple of intruments & a single DI box an A/B switch comes in handy.
WayneG
Posted 2004-01-24 11:51 AM (#196671 - in reply to #196669)

Which that info, I can look at your rig and understand better what you are accomplishing with that setup. Very helpful!!

Thanks!

p.s. I love this site!! Expert advise in the moment
cliff
Posted 2004-01-24 2:12 PM (#196672 - in reply to #196669)

I have my 6-string and my 12-string going to an A/B pedal. From there it goes to the tuner. From there it goes to my effects pedal which has a parametric EQ and an XLR-out to the P.A

The problem I have is that when I dial in a pleasant setting on the EQ for the 6-string, it's not necessarily an optimum setting for the 12. The 6 is a deep bowl, the 12 super shallow. See how this ties in with a previous thread on "bowl depth/plugged-in". I can get a fair compromise by tweaking the on-board EQ's. Fortunately, I usually prefer a bright, thin, "strummy" sound to my 12-sound, so I pretty much tailor the parametric in favor of the 6 (since I usually use that the most) and adjust the 12 accordingly.

It's funny, we'll sometimes do half a set where I'm playing the 12 all high and bright and almost with an "overgrown mandolin" sound, then I'll switch to the 6 for a song and wow!! what a difference!!
It's like hugging a big bellows! You can almost SEE the air being pumped out through the soundhole!!
alpep
Posted 2004-01-24 4:45 PM (#196673 - in reply to #196669)

I would love to steal Paul t's compressor and watch him scurry around like a hedgehog wondering what on earth he would do.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-25 11:58 AM (#196674 - in reply to #196669)

I didn't realise my compression addiction was so obvious.
alpep
Posted 2004-01-25 2:25 PM (#196675 - in reply to #196669)

yup
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)