The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ok, who has bought a NEW Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Englishplayer
Posted 2004-01-25 6:45 PM (#196564)
Subject: Ok, who has bought a NEW Ovation

Ok, who has bought a NEW Ovation (or ordered one) since January 1, or received for Xmas. What model, color, and what are the pros and cons. Yes, and the cons! I'm curious to see how many members here have bought new products since so often the talk is about older models.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-25 7:02 PM (#196565 - in reply to #196564)
Subject: Re: Ok, who has bought a NEW Ovation

This should be interesting...would be interesting to track for the year. Have to believe there will be a number of LX's.

30th Anniv Custom Legend 6-str through Al - only available in natural. Amazing guitar, no "cons."

Also GAS for the slothead 6-str Adamas when it is released.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-25 7:09 PM (#196566 - in reply to #196564)

I bought 8 new Hercules guitars stands - does that count? Dave
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-25 7:14 PM (#196567 - in reply to #196564)

I'll take the bait.

Dec 03 I bought a CP2003H, an excellant Celebrity with an attractive finish, single epallets(sp)and an arch top. THEN hit this board, got an education and got more money. Sent it back. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new Elite LX (see photo gallery).
Could have bought 2-3 used classics, maybe - but the thrill of "NEW" and latest is a pretty sharp hook.

I love Ovation for their ingenuity and what is coming out in the electronics and the LX is pretty cool! :cool:

Maybe 25 years from now I'll be on this board defending or bragging about my "first year" LX but that's not why I bought it. I wanted a dependable quality instrument to play the heck out of for the next few decades and I was blessed at this time to have the funds. If you see a lot of talk over the "Collectors" keep in mind that it should be expected from any "Fan" club. There is a lot of valuable info and lore there. Know where you came from and keep your eyes on the road ahead!
And enjoy it and share it.
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-01-25 7:46 PM (#196568 - in reply to #196564)

In the middle of December I ordered a Custom Legend 1779 in black from our beloved alpep... It's in transit at this moment... It didn’t take the three month wait I was prepared for... I'll say this for Al, his prices are competitive with any out there, and his service is superior and comfortably personal...
If Ovation drops these "older" styles, then I will have one of the last ones...

Dale :D
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-25 8:15 PM (#196569 - in reply to #196564)

I'm realy interested in an LX & want to hear more feedback on the different models before puting up the bucks.
dvd
Posted 2004-01-25 9:35 PM (#196570 - in reply to #196564)

I guess my purchase qualifies.

I ordered a cherry-cherry burst Balladeer LX on January 8th, received January 20th.

Pros: See my previous post for reviews and pics.. I love it!
Cons: a few. :-)
1) I have to start thinking about humidity.
2) Since I got it, I haven't touched my electric.
3) As Wayne Campbell would say, <*drops to knees and bows*> "I'm not worthy....I'm
not worthy!"

I have played the electric long enough to know that I love playing guitar and that I want an acoustic. I went with the Balladeer LX because I wanted to buy one acoustic that was going to last me a long, long time. Call me crazy, but I chose the Balladeer over the Legend because I don't like gold hardware. And I chose the Balladeer over the Elite because I'm not a big fan of the epaulets. They all sound great, and they all sound similar enough that it made sense to me to buy a beautiful guitar that motivates me to want to pick it up and play over a guitar that may be slightly "better", and yet less interesting to me.

That being said, I can't wait to hear what mwoody has to say about his Elite LX!
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-25 10:35 PM (#196571 - in reply to #196564)

Have I yet to lack an opinion...

Maybe I'll go visit MrGolf007 down the road apiece and get an experienced opinion. I chose the Elite because I saw how the inlaid epaulats were on a 2003 Collector (yes, Ted Brown in Silvedale actually had one)and I saw the archtop from the CP2003H.

It's probably comparable to trying to decide who has the cutest puppy.
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-25 11:15 PM (#196572 - in reply to #196564)

The cutest puppy is the one licking your face at the moment.
ladinsky14
Posted 2004-01-26 9:16 AM (#196573 - in reply to #196564)

I made my first venture into the Ovation world at the beginning of January. I have just got back into learning to play after a long time off and my 20 year old Epiphone was murder on my fingers and could not be adjusted sufficiently anymore to make it somewhat comfortable to play. I have always wanted an Ovation because of their sweet sound. Since I am just starting out again, I bought a Black Ovation Celebrity CC057 with the new OP20 Pre-Amp. The instrument is so beautiful in looks and sound that I never want it out of my hands. My goal is to get good enough and graduate up to a Balladeer (hopefully the LX model), that is if I can convince my other half.
FrankStar
Posted 2004-01-26 9:47 AM (#196574 - in reply to #196564)

The Brown Truck just delivered a brand new black 1778T Elite T about 45 minutes ago.

Thus far, all I can say is WOW!

The action was set perfectly, fit and finish are extraordinary and the sound both plugged and un just blew me away!

I A/B-ed it with my CC026 and the difference was absolutely amazing. I bought it online without having a chance to play one first (but I had a 45-day return policy).

This one is a keeper.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-26 9:50 AM (#196575 - in reply to #196564)

It has only been a few weeks since the LX has been launched. In the next six months this board will probably report some healthy LX purchases. I bet this board will buy more new guitars this year than in years past.
If the LX is as good as the reports, I'll get one. And I have not bought an Ovation, new OR used in well over 30 years.
Brad
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-03 9:42 AM (#196576 - in reply to #196564)

Slipkid,
I got it! I absolutely love what they did with the epaulets. If your a fan of the Elite's this should be reason enough to get an LX.

Very playable, very even on the tone - down low it as a real growl and the high end is defined but not brassy. More often I finger pick with hammer-ons and pulls - THERE IS REAL DEPTH COMING OUT OF THIS GUITAR! My direct comparison is a Guild D50 built in 1967. The LX (brand new out of the box) has the low end of the dreadnaught. It has a damn good start on the 36 years of tone as well.

And nothing can project like an Ovation!

I don't see how anyone could be dissapointed. The only question is "Elite or Legend"!
John B
Posted 2004-02-03 11:10 AM (#196577 - in reply to #196564)

In December I purchased a 2003 Baladeer S771 and it has quickly become my "workhorse" guitar. After playing Martins almost exclusively for years the Ovation felt like is was built like a tank in comparison. I swear that this guitar must like abuse. The harder I play it, the better it sounds!

Pros:
*Good Quality
*Mid Depth Bowl sounds great plugged and unplugged.
*Reasonable Price $650.00 for a USA made guitar!
Great Pre-Amp w/ built in tuner

Cons:
The satin (natural) finish is a little delicate. It looks like it would ding pretty easily.

I also just bought a Legend 12 string but it's too new for me to really evaluate, but so far I love it!
Goober
Posted 2004-02-03 11:19 AM (#196578 - in reply to #196564)

What's a new Ovation? ;)
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-02-03 1:36 PM (#196579 - in reply to #196564)

I bought a 1867 Legend with the OP 40 preamp in late December. Overall I love it
pros:
it plays like an electric
has a very comfortable neck
its beautiful
the craftsmanship is well above standards
notch filter, notch filter, notch filter
acurate built in tuner

cons:
I have yet to find a way to cut through the mix in live aplications
it tends to move a lot when playing in a standing position
I know someday I will actually ding it

Overview:
The guitar is awesome, takes a little bit of tinkering with but the payoff is worth it.
I can and have played it for hours on end.
Hugh McMillan
Posted 2004-02-21 5:55 PM (#196580 - in reply to #196564)

I bought my 10 year-old son, 11 in June, a Collector's 2003vn to learn on. I considered a Celebrity for $399 but the Collector was $729 and it seemed like MUCH more than twice the guitar for less than twice the money. My feeling was that he would never outgrow a guitar this nice where if I had purchased a $200 Applause or $400 Celebrity he would want to replace it sooner rather than later.

Why did I buy an Ovation? Well, I attended prep school with Bill Kaman in the mid-late '60s and one year he lived across the hall in my dorm. The school was in Florida and were were both from Connecticut. At a time when the other kids had Guilds & Martins he had this odd "Kaman" with a black bowl back and liking unique items I swore if I ever bought a guitar it would be a Kaman. My musical abilities are limited to playing an iPod but when my son wanted a guitar I knew what he had to have.

I wanted a "rugged" guitar that Scot, my son, could play in the back seat of the car during commutes to tennis lessons 75-90 minutes commute in Simsbury. Now his guitar is too good to knock about in that manner so I am thinking of getting him a Trekker just so he will have something to practice on which is similar to his Collector.

-Hugh
Goober
Posted 2004-02-21 6:00 PM (#196581 - in reply to #196564)

So Bill is a "preppie?" What's wrong with this? :cool:
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-02-21 6:42 PM (#196582 - in reply to #196564)

Last Tuesday- Pro: Got my 30th anniversary Custom Legend in.
Last Thursday- Con: Sent my 30th anniversary Custom Legend back to Ovation.
Today- Still wondering how such an expensive guitar can be released from the factory with problems.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-21 7:04 PM (#196583 - in reply to #196564)

So, . . . . does this mean you'll be changing your name, . . again?
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-02-21 7:07 PM (#196584 - in reply to #196564)

Nope, this name sticks. I still have my old Custom Legend that I love.
TRboy
Posted 2004-02-21 8:01 PM (#196585 - in reply to #196564)

Hey Paul,
You sure you don't want to be MOB57GUY ;)

:cool:
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-21 8:01 PM (#196586 - in reply to #196564)

Paul, you need to grow up and accept that this is not a perfect world. Every guitar manufacturer strives to produce the best product they can at the best possible price they can. Most of the time they manage to do that, but even with the tightest quality control something will slip through which will not be acceptable to a certain customer. That is the nature of factory guitar production. You have bought a guitar which does not meet your expectations, Ovation customer service will put it right, so leave it be. If they don't then feel free to bitch.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-02-21 9:20 PM (#196587 - in reply to #196564)

Paul T, I am grown up thank you. I will bitch about this guitar as much as I want to. It is not a Celebrity, but a Custom Legend. Maybe you can accept that is was not correct, but I can't.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-21 9:58 PM (#196588 - in reply to #196564)

Last Tuesday I got my Adamas SMT. Its supposed to be Ruby, but looks more like the vintage "wine" color. Wooohooo and it plays and sounds much better than it looks!~
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)