The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Headphone/recording question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Strummin12
Posted 2004-01-25 10:43 PM (#196519)
Subject: Headphone/recording question

My akg 110M's are not doing a good job of keeping sound from leaking onto my recordings when recording with a mic. Often the drums are audible on vocal and guitar tracks and it's pissing me off, especially when I'm just using them as a click track to be removed later.

Any suggestions for a headphone? I'd prefer not to have to take out a mortgage if possible. Someone at the NY sam ash pro audio store recommended Sony mdr7509's, in the $200 range.

Any experiential help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Johnny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-26 1:06 AM (#196520 - in reply to #196519)
Subject: Re: Headphone/recording question

"NY sam ash pro audio store recommended Sony mdr7509's, in the $200 range"

That may be a Sam Ash price, but the MDR-7506 are pretty much a standard and most places like Musicians Friend have them for $99.00. Sometimes a little cheaper if they have a sale. I have several sets, they are pretty much all I use in the Studio. They are extremely clear, and quiet so you can keep the volume within reason, so they don't bleed into the mic. Of course if you are running a large diaphram tube condenser, than just choose your battles. Also for mixing, they handle just stupid volume levels without distortion.

By the way, one of the "selling" points for me on these headsets was a trip to NAMM a couple of years ago where pretty much anyone that didn't actually sell headphones themselves, used these MDR-7506's to demo their product where headphones were needed.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-26 3:27 AM (#196521 - in reply to #196519)

The industry standard headphones for recording are Beyer Dynamic DT100 & DT150. There are probably "better" sounding headphones but the Beyers are industry standard because they are very comfortable & can be worn for hours, they can take very high SPL without distorting, they leak very little sound & every component is available as a spare part, so they last forever.

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/com/product/index.htm
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-26 4:05 AM (#196522 - in reply to #196519)

"The industry standard headphones for recording are Beyer Dynamic" That's a rather bold statement and seemingly not true on this side of the pond, however, I do agree, they are great headsets for the money. About the same specs as the Sony, a few more dollars, but a little more rugged construction and only a little heavier, but they have more surface so I don't think it's noticed. I don't like them much because of the combination of weight and style causes a good case of "sweaty ears" over long hours. A lot of folks like the Sennheiser HD25? phones too, which I'm not fond of from any angle either. AKG's (like the K240M) are called "industry standard" too but I blew up two pairs in one day, so they obviously got returned.

FYI I've also had two drummers try to walk out with the Sony 7502 sets which are bascially the 7506 elements in a set designed more for drummers allowing them to hear themselves live and just get a custom mix in the phones.
alpep
Posted 2004-01-26 7:11 AM (#196523 - in reply to #196519)

I have a set of sennheisers basically because they were what my distributor carried when I needed to buy a pair.

I also have an old set of bang and oulfsen that came with a beomaster 5000 I bought years ago. the headsets sound great but are ugly seventies chrome huge uncomfortable things.
Strummin12
Posted 2004-01-26 9:27 AM (#196524 - in reply to #196519)

Thanks guys.

-Johnny
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)