The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ultra GP type sound

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

creative7
Posted 2004-01-27 3:18 AM (#196495)
Subject: Ultra GP type sound

My quest for an Ultra GP began a couple of months ago and has been thus far unsuccessful.

So, in a bid to keep me tiding over until I manage to get my hands on one, I thought I could fit my Les Paul with some Super 2's.

Now, I know the GP stands for Guitar Paul because it was (loosely?) based on the Les Paul, so I am assuming by fitting these pickups it should sound vaguely this same. Is this thinking correct?

I'm hoping it will do until I find a real GP.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GregDK
Posted 2004-01-27 3:31 AM (#196496 - in reply to #196495)
Subject: Re: Ultra GP type sound

well, in therory that's right. but the shape of the ovation is much kewler than the gibson. also there are differences at the fretboard, the ovation is more narrow between the frets.
but it's hard to find real super2's because you'll get super 2 distortion pu's in fact dimarzio stopped the production a few years ago and the type could not be foud out by reading the subscription of the pu. there always stands di marzio made in usa and not more.
Beal
Posted 2004-01-27 4:55 PM (#196497 - in reply to #196495)

the GP body is a dead knockoff shape wise of a paul with a bass side horn so the answer to your question is yes, it will get close to the sound. BUT as Greg says, finding those exact pickups will be a challenge. Also the paul is 3/4" maple over 2" of mahogony. The GP is a flame veneer formed over some sort of mahogony type looking sorta wood. The neck attachment joint is also differently shaped. Minor points but they will affect the sound a bit.
creative7
Posted 2004-01-27 4:59 PM (#196498 - in reply to #196495)

I emailed DiMarzio and they said I would be able to order the Super 2's without any problem, is that right?
innerman
Posted 2004-01-27 5:37 PM (#196499 - in reply to #196495)

I don't think the Super 2's that Dimarzio sells now are wound the same as the ones from 20 years ago. Don't take this as gospel; I just seem to remember reading that somewhere. Maybe Dimarzio could clarify...
creative7
Posted 2004-01-28 12:07 AM (#196500 - in reply to #196495)

Here is the reply from DiMarzio, received very quickly I might add:

The Super 2 has been in continuous production since 1977 and is wound and has the same sound as it always has. From 1977 to 1980 it was equipped with a plastic cover, but it has been on the market with exposed coils exactly as it is today since 1980 and has never been discontinued.

I guess it's right, since they work for them and all!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-28 12:50 AM (#196501 - in reply to #196495)

If you are tinkering with "getting as close as" I would look at some of the Samick set-neck guitars made today and replace the pickups on those. There is a model that I have seen that is VERY close to a GP shape. An Epiphone Les Paul might be a good close match too and not break the bank. If you are looking for a great guitar with a similar sound, than I would suggest one of the Hamer models that is also close in shape, and have them install the pickups you want right when it's built. You'd be surprised at what you can get a "custom" order done for especially when you just want a minor change like pickups. My full circle point on this is that the "it" factor that you loose by it not being a GP is somewhat replaced by a guitar built in the USA to your specs by the same company that made the first one... emphasis on YOUR SPECS.

I am awaiting an hand-made guitar that I saw while I was in California. I in fact helped design it a little as far as the configuration. When I picked it up, it was worth every penny as a guitar, and it was MINE, as in custom ordered from the start.

There really is nothing like that feeling of a guitar built for you.
creative7
Posted 2004-01-28 1:02 AM (#196502 - in reply to #196495)

I already have the Gibson Les Paul but would it be better opting a Samick or Hamer model as you suggested?

Thanks
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-28 4:26 AM (#196503 - in reply to #196495)

Well a Hamer is one of the best guitars built in the Country these days. Samick makes an import model similar to the GP. It's apples and oranges really. I don't think much of Les Paul's, especially the newer ones, so if I wanted a great guitar that looked like a Les Paul but was built better I would get a Hamer. If I didn't have a lot of money to spend, and I wanted a guitar similar to the UltraGP, I might try the samick model that looks like it.
creative7
Posted 2004-01-30 2:13 PM (#196504 - in reply to #196495)

Are there any of the Hamer or Samick models you can recommend?

Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)