The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Greetings from a newbie, and a few Q's too

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

CharlieB
Posted 2004-01-27 7:19 PM (#196421)
Subject: Greetings from a newbie, and a few Q's too

Greetings ladies and gents!

I've been playing since the 70's, but (sorry to say) I've never owned an acoustic, or played one much. Y'know... just me and Tele's till now. I've gotten the wifes blessing to go for an acoustic, and have pretty much settled on Ovation, and thought this might be a good place to ask a few Q's.

Is the Special Elite USA made? I know the others are, but not certain on the 6778-LX.

We've got two decent shops here - GC and SamAsh, but they're totally out of (or just dont have on demo) any Elites or Balladeers. So here's the next question

I've played the cheapie Ovation with the epaulettes and soundholes in the bouts, and another cheapie with the single sound hole. Frankly the strings were shot, the action lousey... and well they both sounded pretty dead.

On a better instrument - can someone give me a short lesson on one round soundhole verus smaller ones in the bouts?

Lastly... GC said they're waiting for new LXs and wont be discounting much because they're new. I'd like to buy sooner than it will take for the price to come down. Musicians Friend (and some others) have them online. Is it safe to buy an acoustic that way - between getting a lemon and possible damage in transportation? I know Musicians Friend is reputable as far as business dealings go - so just mainly worried about getting a guitar in the box, not a box of toothpicks. When they say "hardshell case" included - I'm supposing thats the Ovation case, not a knockoff? So the last real question is... is there a preferred vendor for Ovation users?

I know thats a lot of stuff to cover. I appreciate someone helping me out (taking me under their wing so to speak). I hopefully can return the favor one of these days.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-01-27 7:33 PM (#196422 - in reply to #196421)
Subject: Re: Greetings from a newbie, and a few Q's too

the LX guitars are made in the usa.

epaulettes and sound holes sound different because of their location and how the top vibrates. it is really a personal choice.

there are tons of good vendors find one that you can trust and has what you want.

enjoy.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-27 7:35 PM (#196423 - in reply to #196421)

Buy an LX from M.F. Guitars are shipped all the time (how do you think they got the the Guitar Centers and Sam Ashe stores?).

The LX, I believe, is head and shoulders above the regular Legend, Balladeers, and Elites, in terms of sound.

I think if you go with an LX, you'll be very happy. And don't worry about the shipping question.
dvd
Posted 2004-01-27 7:37 PM (#196424 - in reply to #196421)

Welcome aboard!

I'll take a swing at a couple of your q's..

All LX's are made in the USA. Lots of good detail on the LX's on Ovation's web page, www.ovationguitars.com or search for LX here.

Single vs. multi-soundhole is personal preference. You'll get lots of votes each way.

Keep in mind that GC should price-match any online retailer as long as they are authorized dealers.

Alpep, one of the founders of this board, is a dealer, lots of people swear by him. Find his name in a post and send him a note.

I've ordered 2 guitars via the Internet. My Balladeer LX arrived in the Ovation case with zero damage (from music123.) My electric arrived from Musicians Friend with the pickup selector switch broken off. (It was not in a hard case, just the cardboard box.) It took a while (without the guitar) to send it back to them and get a replacement, but they made me whole and didn't put up a fight. If I were to do it again, I'd simply buy a second guitar and return the first one..
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-01-27 8:01 PM (#196425 - in reply to #196421)

I'll vouch for Alpep! He adds extra stuffing in the box for a higher chance of a safe shipment. Just received my Custom Legend from him today, as a matter of fact... I would strongly recommend you call him on a land line and discuss your likes and dislikes, desires and price range. Al can help you with your decision...

When I buy another guitar, it will be from Al...

Dale ;)

btw, Welcome aboard!
Beal
Posted 2004-01-27 8:29 PM (#196426 - in reply to #196421)

CharlieB, welcome, got to love people from Florida!
(Cliff and Al, how's the weather up there today?)
Charlie, come on by the Orlando guitar show this Saturday at the Centroplex Expo Plaza, 500 W Livingston. Should be some Ovations at Kummers Vintage booth.
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-27 8:44 PM (#196427 - in reply to #196421)

Can you buy one there? If so, do they take trades?
alpep
Posted 2004-01-27 10:23 PM (#196428 - in reply to #196421)

cwkII
sunday into monday 6 inches of snow
tuesday into wed sleet and 4 more inches of snow
thurs clear
friday night just as I leave for Orlando more snow.

I may be late on saturday if my plane is delayed.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-28 7:52 AM (#196429 - in reply to #196421)

CharlieB...Welcome!

I concur with the "call Al" comments. I have dealt with him and if you want solid advice, experience, integrity, honesty and professionalism and very competative prices, then buy from Al... if you don't, then buy from the GC. Here's his web page:

http://www.lostartvintage.com/

If (when) I buy another guitar it will be another multihole and will buy from Al... no doubt about it! I live on the West Coast and Al is on the East Coast... shipping was no problem... he packs them great!

I bought my Balladeers from GC and the experience wasn't pleasant... I bought the 2001 from Al and it was one of the best deals I have ever made! Check the pics in my album in the Member's section....

tim
cliff
Posted 2004-01-28 10:10 AM (#196430 - in reply to #196421)

Bill;
Woke up to 9" of new snow this (Wed) morning.
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of this shit!!

Can't compliment Al enough on his service/professionalism. I'm lucky in that he's just a couple of hours away, so I can just drive down and try out guitars in his "showroom" while Al runs back and forth from the "stockroom" arms laden with various goodies. Anybody else here who's actually had the pleasure/privledge to do this knows hows how absolutely bizzarre this whole scene can be. I'm thinking next time of bringing my video camera and giving the "Osbourne's" a run for their money!
(Al, have you let Suze out of the basement yet?)

Awhile ago, Al sold me (over the phone/e-mail) a Chinese-made dobro to learn slide on. We're talking a $100 guitar in a gig bag, and it arrived packed like it was a SlotHead Adamas bound for Siberia (secret ingredient: coffee cup trays! ;) ). It arrived in pristine condition!
btw, Al: When you get back from "Flah", we need to talk about getting a nut extender for "HopSing".

Have a great time, Guys!
You don't know HOW much I wish I could be there!!
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-28 11:47 AM (#196431 - in reply to #196421)

Al...are you bringing any goodies to Florida to sell?
alpep
Posted 2004-01-28 12:29 PM (#196432 - in reply to #196421)

Peter
sorry but no.
Beal
Posted 2004-01-28 8:23 PM (#196433 - in reply to #196421)

Al, Cliff, had to bring the plants in tonight, they say it might freeze for an hour or two. I don't miss what youse guys got attall!!!
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-28 8:50 PM (#196434 - in reply to #196421)

cwk2...that's why I live in South Florida. You're practically in Georgia.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-28 9:12 PM (#196435 - in reply to #196421)

Should I start with the Arizona comments? 320 days of sunshine a year. And the 45 they call 'cloudy' would pass for sunny in most parts. But hey, I spent the first 35 years of my life in New York so I can sure feel for you guys. Dave
alpep
Posted 2004-01-28 9:30 PM (#196436 - in reply to #196421)

cwk2
I will bring a light jacket for the weekend.
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-29 8:07 AM (#196437 - in reply to #196421)

The coldest weekend of the year & the guitar show in the same weekend. I may have to wear a jacket going up North to Orlando.
Beal
Posted 2004-01-29 8:39 AM (#196438 - in reply to #196421)

Peterbright, Up here it is called South Georgia or the Georgia part of Florida. It's not too bad except for the G/F weekend when this whole island turns red and black. Georgia usually looses and they all go home Saturday night. Not that I'm a big orange and blue fan. I don't care for any of those colors but I can't say that out loud here in South Georgia, someone will take a shot at me.
cliff
Posted 2004-01-29 10:00 AM (#196439 - in reply to #196421)

COLD WEATHER

60 above zero. Floridians turn the heat on. People in New England plant gardens.

50 above zero. Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in New England sunbathe.

40 above zero. Italian and English cars won't start. People in New England drive with the windows down.

32 above zero. Distilled water freezes. Moosehead Lake's water gets thicker.

20 above zero. Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and hats. People in New England throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero. New York landlords finally turn on the heat. People in New England have the last cookout before it turns cold.

Zero. People in Miami die - or return to Cuba. New Englanders close the windows.

10 below zero. Californians go to Mexico. People in New England get out their Winter coats.

25 below zero. Hollywood disintegrates. Girl Scouts in New England are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero. Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in New England let the dogs sleep inside.

100 below zero. Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in New England get frustrated because "the caah won't staaht".

275 below zero. All atomic motion stops. (Absolute zero on the Kelvin scale). People in New England start saying, "cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below zero. Hell freezes over. Red Sox win the World Series.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-29 11:19 AM (#196440 - in reply to #196421)

SNOW IS FANTASTIC!!!!
I took yesterday off. Skied over 5 hours without a break.
If I gotta live with it, I might as well enjoy it.
Brad
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-29 11:37 AM (#196441 - in reply to #196421)

S***is a four letter word. I like to watch it on TV.
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-01-29 11:42 AM (#196442 - in reply to #196421)

St. Petersburg, FL... Last night it got down to high-30s around here... You should have seen the ashen complexion on the weather anchorman on TV, the tone of dread in his voice... They had dispatched field reporters to locations where they were expecting freezing temps... Absolutely hilarious. But, and I'm sure W2 will back me up on this, a VERY close call 'cause we actually had to CLOSE THE WINDOWS. It really was scary for a few minutes. :eek:
Beal
Posted 2004-01-29 6:35 PM (#196443 - in reply to #196421)

JohnnyMac, Yes it has been cold. I think that we've had winter this week. Maybe you should change your OFC name to Acoustic Standard Balladeer? Would go well with the number. Come over to Orlando this weekend and see Al. He's doing a meet and greet guest appearance at Kummer's Vintage booth. Bring your camera.
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-01-30 2:25 AM (#196444 - in reply to #196421)

Always thought that was kind of cool that my member # worked out like that... I would love to get out to the show, but my wife has the honey-do-list on steroids (or is it crack??) waiting in the wings, so it's doubtful. But next time I'll try to plan in advance & maybe get out...
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-30 6:53 AM (#196445 - in reply to #196421)

It's on both Saturday & Sunday. You're only an hour & a half away. Come on over.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)