The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Sigh...Amp questions now....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

CharlieB
Posted 2004-01-27 9:20 PM (#196415)
Subject: Sigh...Amp questions now....

Many thanks for all the responses on my previous post. I suppose I'll have to just pick one of the LX's and go with it. I'll let my wife pick, that way I can blame her.....

Now for an amp. Whats the biggest difference between an "acoustic" amp, and your run of the mill blackface Fender? Voicing? (as in tone), speakers? special filtration...?

Don't hit me here folks, but there are more amps sitting in this abode than I can possibly use - the problem is they're all blackface Fenders.

I hate to buy if I can build it (and I CAN build it). Just need to know what I'm building! Was thinking about perhaps popping a McIntosh 30watt power amp into a 3way stage monitor I've got stitting here. Any ideas on that? Ought to add, I really don't play out too much, mostly just dink around at home.

Again... many many thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-27 9:26 PM (#196416 - in reply to #196415)
Subject: Re: Sigh...Amp questions now....

this has been coverered on numerous occasions. Try using the search function and you'll find a lot of information. In a nutshell, and this is a gross over-simplification, amps & speakers designed for electric guitars have a deliberately limited & colored frequency response. Acoustic amplifiers are basically compact PA systems & have a much wider & flatter frequency response.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-01-27 9:49 PM (#196417 - in reply to #196415)

Thanks Paul - the search feature timed out for me after about two minutes, so I thought maybe it was non-functioning or down.

BUT - you answered my question. The McIntosh 30 is flat from DNDC to about 50KC, so its a matter so speakers and maybe an equalizer. I can handle that.
alpep
Posted 2004-01-27 10:20 PM (#196418 - in reply to #196415)

If you DARE tear up a MCIntosh 30 I will personally grab you at the orlando show and smack some sense into you.

Basically the way an acoustic amp is different from an electric amp is the EQ. use your bF fenders and just an eq pedal but use one with a JBL or EV so you get a better sound reproduction than the stock jensens which I happen to personally hate. OR sell me your old Mcintosh and fenders and I will send you some genz benz acoustic amps.
Nils
Posted 2004-01-28 1:17 AM (#196419 - in reply to #196415)

I've been looking at zoom 504 II's. I've never actually tried one yet, but in their ads they talk about a "de-amp" setting that I think is supposed to address this. Would that do the trick?
While I'm at it, would the 504 II work well with my Shenandoah Jr? The little SJ has lots of effects but a pedal would be much handier. It looks like they can be had off the bay for around $30.

/\/\/
CharlieB
Posted 2004-01-28 2:17 AM (#196420 - in reply to #196415)

Whats to tear up with the Mc30? Just mount it in a cab and plumb in the input. As it sits - and you know the McIntosh better than I - it has an inupt for line level signal, but I wig up a preamp for it.

The guy I got it from used that Mc30 as a stage monitor for his jazz gigs - he had a sort of one-man-band thing going with midi accompanyment, while he played all the guitar parts. The midi stuff thru a D130 and a small horn was pretty tight with the Mc30.

Its more like what cabinet am I gonna tear up to mount the amp in rather than vice versa.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)