The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas Slothead - Got Mine Today

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-28 7:27 AM (#196379)
Subject: Adamas Slothead - Got Mine Today

Today I took delivery of my Adamas Slothead. Sorry for the length of this post, but I've been waiting for this guitar for some time and have a lot to say about it. If you want the condensed version, here it is: UN FREAKING BELIEVEABLE!

Here's the whole story: This is not one of the original 33 pre-production Adamas Slotheads. Nor is it one of the new 12 fret Adamas Slotheads like we saw at the OFC tour and at NAMM. It's sort of in the middle. It's basically a 1982 Adamas II Slothead. Most likely it's the only one in existence.

This whole project started because I wanted to own an Adamas Slothead (who doesn't). But the chance of finding one of the originals, much less affording it, would be slim. The new 2003 Adamas Slothead that we saw at the factory and at NAMM is nice, but I'm not really into "new". I wanted something with some history to it and as close to the original as possible. So my first thought was to have a full-on replica of the original built, either from the ground up or by doing a Dadi modification. But that would still only be a replica. I wanted something more unique, so I began a plan with the help of John and Kim at Ovation service.

I obtained a very nice 1982 Adamas II 6 string model 1681-8. The headstock and neck were shot, but the body was in good shape. Kind of like some of the girls I used to date - they were sure nice from the neck down. Textured top, deep non-cutaway bowl, blue fade finish, rope binding and 2 knob stereo electronics. Anyway, this guitar was going to require a complete neck replacement. But in the past year I have really fallen in love with the 1-3/4 Folklore Deluxe neck. I always liked the Josh White and Folklore necks (1-7/8), but the slightly narrower Folklore Deluxe was the best yet. To get this on my Adamas body would require a complete custom neck. So I figured what the heck, why not go all the way and make it a 1-3/4 neck with a slotted headstock. The neck had to be 14 fret because that is what the body/bridge location was already fixed at. The original slotheads were also 14 fret. I opted not to try to build the scrolled carved walnut headstock of the original slothead, but rather the plain slotted headstock of the Folklore Deluxe type. Details of the custom neck are as follows:

5 piece neck with truss rod and headstock located adjustment (and truss rod cover)
14 fret to the body with side dots and no binding
Extended ebony Adamas style fretboard
Inlaid walnut Adamas fret markers
Slotted headstock, Headstock faced in walnut
Gloss finish neck and headstock
Inlaid Adamas logo, Gold Schaller slothead tuners

While I was at it, I also gutted the 2 knob electronics. Just too heavy, difficult to change the battery, and somewhat noisy. I re-installed the two wooden knobs on dummy pots just to preserve the look. Paul T. gave me the idea. Quite a nice touch, actually

In addition to the custom neck work, the factory also did some touch up on the blue finish which came out absolutely perfect and installed the Folklore Deluxe direct out electronics (no on board controls, just a fixed eq and end pin out jack).

Let me first say that the guys in the factory who worked on this did an absolutely outstanding job. I can not praise them enough for the quality of workmanship. These guys are truly expert craftsmen. I know they must be as proud of their work as I am proud to own the outcome. Basically you send them a case full of broken, scratched, warped guitar parts and they send you back what looks like a brand new guitar. (They also send you a bill, but that's OK. Well worth it.)

So exactly how does it look? The quick photos I took can't do justice. What looks like small flaws are just spots in the photos. In person it actually does look like it is a brand new guitar. Like a 1982 Adamas that has been completely reborn. The look of the slotted headstock is just so cool. My favorite looking Ovations have always been the Josh White, Country Artist and Folklore Deluxe types with the slotted headstocks. It's just so classy. This latest example just takes it to a whole new level. It plays just perfectly. The setup is spot-on, intonation perfect, action is wonderful and the neck has that great Ovation feel to it. The FD electronics are also quite nice.

Now let's really get down to it. How does it sound? Well, describing the acoustic sound in these pages is difficult. Let me put it in perspective - not to boast, but I've got a pretty nice stable of great sounding Ovations and I'm always "ranking" them in my head. The pecking order varies depending on my mood and what music I'm playing and is admittedly pretty subjective. But for the most part the Folklore Deluxe, '68 GC shiny bowl, Josh White, 1719 Custom Legend, and Adamas 1681 hang around the top of the list on any given day. That is until now. I can say without any hesitation whatsoever that all those fine guitars collectively are now relegated to second place. My Adamas Slothead is easily the best sounding guitar I have ever owned and quite probably the best sounding acoustic guitar I have ever played. It’s absolutely stunning. Difficult to describe - It's like a normal Adamas on steroids (without the shrinking testicles). The sound from top to bottom is very open and deep, yet has that distinctive Ovation ringing. It's not a dark sound at all - very light, but powerful. Doesn't matter if you are doing fine finger picking or really thumping on it hard with a pick, it just stands up and sings.

I keep going back and forth with other guitars to try to get a better idea just what "IT" is that this guitar has. The closest I can say is that it has the tonal quality of it's brother 1681 Adamas in terms of volume and balance, married with clarity and openness of the cedar topped Folklore Deluxe. Sorry to go on and on about this, but I just never dreamed I would own something so special and I'm just proud as hell. Make no mistake, this was NOT and inexpensive modification, but it turned out exactly as I had hoped (actually better) and will reward me over and over again every time I pick it up and play. Thanks again to the guys back in CT for a job truly well done.

You can see more photos here: http://www.ovationgallery.com/slothead.htm

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-28 8:20 AM (#196380 - in reply to #196379)
Subject: Re: Adamas Slothead - Got Mine Today

Dave,

Now you've done it! My GAS was settling down to a level that my wife could tolerate and now I see this! :mad:

My God, what a gorgeous guitar!

I assume that the reason you do not appear in the pictures is that there isn't a wide angle lense capable of capturing the width of your grin!

I'd say thanks for sharing, but now I'm just jealous as hell!

tim
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-28 8:28 AM (#196381 - in reply to #196379)

Should we assume that this isn't a guitar you will sell in a few years, just to make room for another new guitar? Just kidding. I gotta drive over to Arizona now to see this beast. Beautiful guitar, great story.
zorjon
Posted 2004-01-28 8:48 AM (#196382 - in reply to #196379)

Dave,

There isn't much I can write on this other than:

Beautiful, absolutely goregous.

Definitely a gem. Congratulations

On a separate note, you have experience with the Josh White models, what do you see their value as and are they only acoustic models. What year did they start and stop production.

Thanks
John
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-28 9:09 AM (#196383 - in reply to #196379)

Indeed it is beautiful How much did it set you back?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-28 9:33 AM (#196384 - in reply to #196379)

The Josh White models went into production in 1966 (or very soon thereafter). They were discontinued after 1969 when Josh White died.

Assessing value is tough. Ovations sell for whatever they sell for. And the demand on the opoen market fluxuates.
zorjon
Posted 2004-01-28 9:46 AM (#196385 - in reply to #196379)

Thanks Paul,

I see your point with regards to the value question. However, they don't seem to come on the market often, and I am guessing that production was limited by the production years. It would seem that supply may be limited but I guess it doesn't matter if demand isn't there either.

Thanks again,

John
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-28 9:50 AM (#196386 - in reply to #196379)

Zorjon, I've owned three Josh White guitars. As Paul stated, they were one of the original four Ovation models in late '66 and only made for a few years. The combination of 12 fret wideneck, slothead, deep bowl, etc add up to a wonderful acoustic sound. Among the best Ovations ever in my opinion. And they are quite rare. This combination should make them very valuable as a collectors guitar and easily put them in the $2000 price range. But sadly the reputation is largely unknown and I have seen three of them sell for less than a grand each (two of those were ones that I sold).

One of the reasons they are so rare, in addition to the fact that so few were made and none since 1969, is that most didn't survive. I've actually heard tales of "exploding Josh White's". I think some combination of the bracing, bridge location, etc. just did not hold up and many of these guitars developed pretty bad top problems over the years. Luckily none of my Josh White's had these problems. Being acoustic only is no problem. Adding a nice fishman or other pickup system is easy and I did that on one that I sold. Overall, I think the Josh White is my favorite all time Ovation due to it's interesting history (Josh performed live at the Ovation initial product unvailing in 1966), rarity, and of course the sound.

Dave
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-28 9:54 AM (#196387 - in reply to #196379)

Peterbright - I'd rather not comment on the price. But I will say that most people would probably think twice about spending that much on an entire new guitar. Expensive? yes. Worth it? absolutely. Dave
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-28 9:59 AM (#196388 - in reply to #196379)

The price of a guitar is an interesting concept. Some people think $500 is a lot, some think that $1000 is a lot. Yet there are people out there who will spend $2500-$4000 for a guitar that they will leave in it's case and bought it just because it's what they always wanted.

So whether a guitar cost a lot or a little, well, those are relative terms and only have meaning when people's bank balances and their values are on a level playing field.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-28 10:06 AM (#196389 - in reply to #196379)

Paul,

I agree. I have played $5,000 guitars that I wouldn't give $500 for and I own a $1,300 Guitar (2001 Collectors RW) that I honestly wouldn't sell for $5,000. I love it too much.

As long as the deal satisfies... money isn't an issue.

tim
Woz
Posted 2004-01-30 2:00 PM (#196390 - in reply to #196379)

Dave:
Great story. Great looking guitar.
All I can say is way to go after something you wanted. And congrats to all who worked hard to make it turn out. I could see your smile reflecting in the pics.
Woz
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-30 8:00 PM (#196391 - in reply to #196379)

Dave, absolutely GORGEOUS guitar!!!!! There's SOMETHING about a blue-burst Adamas...... :)

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Jeff
Posted 2004-01-30 11:10 PM (#196392 - in reply to #196379)

Congratulations Dave... She's a BEAUTY!

Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)