The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New gear...new problem

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-28 2:46 PM (#196362)
Subject: New gear...new problem

Hey guys man the flu sux.I just got my new Pa equipment. Carvin gear consisting of DCM2000 watt amp, 16 channel 4 bus mixer and two massive 1588 speaker cabs. I just had the opportunity to play my new legend in a live setting with the other members of my band, I have to say I was a little disapointed. The sound was thin and buried in the mix. I am hoping that this is just my ignorance with operating my new board as it hasnt sounded that way before when I play it at home. I used the low cut switch which helped with the boomyness but oddly enough the mids and highs got buried. any suggestions? I tried playing with the mid sweep on the guitar and re adjusting the eq but nothing seemed to work. Maybe a new guitar, board and the fact I have the flu are too much to handle right now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-28 2:56 PM (#196363 - in reply to #196362)
Subject: Re: New gear...new problem

BLAZE! I just got over the flu myself...know how you feel. Are you using anything between the Legend & the Carvin?
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-28 3:05 PM (#196364 - in reply to #196362)

well I havent been but I know I prbably should bite the bullet and get a good acoustic amp,.. trouble is I would have to see my electric amp to do that, and you know how hard it is to sell toys. What amp would you recomend? or is there a pedal that would do the trick?
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-28 3:31 PM (#196365 - in reply to #196362)

Billy...seem to be "blazin" the BB today! Sorry, couldn't resist!

As for an acoustic amp, Al recommends the Trace Amps... I seem to remember seeing one listed for sale on his website: http://www.lostartvintage.com/

might be worth asking him..

tim
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-28 3:41 PM (#196366 - in reply to #196362)

Are you setting the gain structure of the board correctly?

Try this: plug your guitar into a channel, preferably into a mic input via a DI box. Set the gain fuly counter-clockwise, set all controls flat & switch in the low-cut. Set the master faders to 0dB (about 2/3rds up) and the channel fader to 0db. Set the guitar volume at around 7 and the eq flat. While playing adjust the channel gain until the output meters peak at 3-6dB above 0 (basically you want to see a couple of amber segments, but no red)
Turn the power amp up full & adjust the volume from the channel fader, and make any EQ adjustments from the guitar and console. The Master faders should always stay at 0dB. Hopefully that may cure your thin tone. You should use this procedure for every signal which goes via the board.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-28 3:47 PM (#196367 - in reply to #196362)

See, Billy,

I told you Paul would know!

tim
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-28 8:26 PM (#196368 - in reply to #196362)

Damn Paul,... I havent even tried it yet and I beleive you fixed my problem, what I mean to say is if you know that much about pro audio it must be right. I will try it this weekend and let you know how it worked. I really appreciate it.
Also I think I will check out a new amp later on but this Pa gear was a big setback for now
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-31 11:12 AM (#196369 - in reply to #196362)

ok Paul,.... i tried it but am still getting a real thin cheap sound out of my guitar, my 250. washburn sounds better than my 908. ovation. I dont get it.I will keep playing with it and maybe I will figure it out before I lose my patience. Thanx for your help
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-31 5:28 PM (#196370 - in reply to #196362)

Blaze, 2 suggestions: first, if you haven't already done so change the battery. Second borrow another Ovation & compare it to yours through your rig, or take yours to a store & compare to a guitar there. You may well have a fault, there's no way your guitar should not sound great through your system.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-01-31 5:35 PM (#196371 - in reply to #196362)

I agree with Paul T., as usual. That is good troubleshooting advice.
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-02-02 9:19 AM (#196372 - in reply to #196362)

Thanx Paul, I realized I missed an important part of your original reply,... I dont have a DI box. I will try that next. I appreciate all your help,..on DI boxes should I go active?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-02 9:31 AM (#196373 - in reply to #196362)

Doesn't matter a good passive DI will do the same job as an active, but there should not be a huge tonal diffeence bettween a guitar into a mic-level input via a DI or into a line-level input withou a DI. As your Washburn sounds OK, it suggests there may be a problem with your Ovation's electronics.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-02-02 1:46 PM (#196374 - in reply to #196362)

Ouch, my head hurts...any suggestions as to books or whatever for amps, effects, and recording that would be a good start for a novice. All I do now is plug into a Marshall G30R CD. Not performing but having fun. Trying to start at the beginning (a primer) to get the basics.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)