The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Glen Campbell VHS Set

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

bobfrith
Posted 2004-01-28 3:57 PM (#196352)
Subject: Glen Campbell VHS Set

In reference to the GC Goodtime Hour posts on the OFC Website Problem thread, there is one three- tape professionally boxed set available from Paul Brownstein Productions. I believe that this set may have been mentioned previously, but am providing the information for those that may have missed the last thread.

The first tape is the September 2, 1971 GC Goodtime Hour (uncut) with John Wayne, Three Dog Night, Tim Conway and Jerry Reed (45 minutes).
The second tape is a 1982 "The Glen Campbell Music Show" (Branson ?) with guest Wille Nelson (22:30 minutes). The third tape is also a 1982 "The Glen Campbell Music Show" with guest Roger Miller (22:30 minutes).

The set is available at www.tvclassics.com/glenpage.htm, and is priced at $29.95, plus $4.95 shipping. It's a little pricey; however, the tape with the Goodtime Hour is uncut, unlike the shows that ran on CMT last year.

Also out-of-print, but available regularly on eBay is the 1977 "Glen Campbell Live In London" that comes in two formats: a cut version of 60 minutes or the entire concert of 90 minutes. Unfortunately, in this concert Glen spends more time singing and less time playing his Country Artist and Bluebird.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve
Posted 2004-01-28 4:18 PM (#196353 - in reply to #196352)
Subject: Re: Glen Campbell VHS Set

hi bob, i've recently wondered whether mr campbell ever video taped his 1969 New Jersey Art Center concert that was released on 8-track and cassette; sure would like to watch him play 'yakity axe' on that ovation thunderhead semi-hollow body electric he was using back then...

steve
bobfrith
Posted 2004-01-28 7:11 PM (#196354 - in reply to #196352)

Steve,

I have had Glen Campbell marked as one of my eBay "Favorites" since 1998 and I don't ever recall seeing any footage from that concert. The most popular videos of Glen Campbell (at least available on eBay) seem to be his concert with Leon Russell, "Live From London", and his appearance on the Tom Jones Show.

I've still got the "Live From the Garden State Arts Center" double album, and you're right, that nutmeg Thunderhead looks great. However, compared to today's standards, in all reality his tone was not that great. No fault of the guitar, though, as Thunderheads I have played have had excellent tone and playability.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-28 11:13 PM (#196355 - in reply to #196352)

I think his Thead in the New Jersey concert was blonde.
cliff
Posted 2004-01-29 9:32 AM (#196356 - in reply to #196352)

There was an album called "Live at the Garden State Arts Center"?!?!?!?!?!?!

Wow!! That's pretty cool!

I was never a Glenn Campbell fan, but the GSAC was/is one of my favorite concert venues!! I practically LIVED there during '77 & '78.
Parts of Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty" album were recorded there. They've since sold out to Corporate Sponsorship and is now the "PNC Bank Arts Center".
Steve
Posted 2004-01-29 4:23 PM (#196357 - in reply to #196352)

Actually, I think I remember the title of that album was 'Glen Campbell, Live in New Jersey', or something like that; I had the album on 8-track, but I believe it was also available on cassette; I emailed the Garden State Art Center yesterday, and they don't have anyone there now from that era; we could ask ken at the campbell website, but if a video tape exists they'll never tell us about it....(we're too 'old school'...)

steve
cliff
Posted 2004-01-29 4:27 PM (#196358 - in reply to #196352)

I'd be careful of bantering the "8-track" word around if I were you. :D
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-29 10:35 PM (#196359 - in reply to #196352)

I'm pretty damned certain there's no video recording of that concert.
Steve
Posted 2004-01-30 3:54 PM (#196360 - in reply to #196352)

hi paul, you are probably correct that no video of the '69 concert was ever released, but it wouldn't surprise me if mr. campbell or the producer, al delory, managed to video tape it in some form or another;it would be cool to watch the guitar instrumentals; the 12 -string on 'walk right in', the 6 string solos on 'for once in my life' and 'yakity axe', the stuff he doesn't play anymore; subtantially more hip than 'william tell' ever was....

steve
Bluebird
Posted 2004-01-31 11:43 PM (#196361 - in reply to #196352)

"...in all reality his tone was not that great..."

Personally, I always loved the classic T-head tone of the electric on that recording...a great Gretsch-like sound from those Dearmond pickups. The guitar solo on "For Once in My Life" was killer.

The overall sound of the recording, however, was thin and not a lot of bass, like a lot of live recordings of that era. According to All-Music Guide, this recording was released on CD by a Dutch label names Disky but I have never seen one and don't know anyone who has. If one of these ever turns up on Ebay, you can bet it will go for some big bucks.

Wayne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)