The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Q about mic placement inside guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

iconocoustica
Posted 2004-01-29 2:02 PM (#196299)
Subject: Q about mic placement inside guitar

I recently had Kim and the boys install a second XLR jack in my CE778. I will be running 2 XLR outs- 1 for piezo and the other 1 for an Audio-Technica 8031b lavalier mic fitted inside the guitar to my amp which will be the mixer as well. As far as mic placement inside the guitar goes, I know I'll need to experiment a bit to get the best sound and lowest feedback. Does anyone have any experience in this sort of thing that could give me some advice on where to place the mic for best effect? Thanks.

Franklin
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-01-29 2:09 PM (#196300 - in reply to #196299)
Subject: Re: Q about mic placement inside guitar

I would place the mic on the outside of the guitar pitched toward the soundholes.

I am not a fan of internal mics
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-29 4:21 PM (#196301 - in reply to #196299)
Subject: Re: Q about mic placement inside guitar

Absolutely, internal mikes are just asking for trouble. There are just so many wrong places to put a mike inside a guitar & very few good places. If you can find a way to mount your mike outside the guitar you'll get a much better result. I personally hate the sound of internal mikes, they always sound very unnatural to me & the feedback threshold is usually unusably low. The whole point of a guitar is to move air away from the instrument, and the tone develops several feet away, so if you want a miked tone use a good condenser outside the guitar.

I have a custom-made Ovation with a bridge mounted external mike. When I'm in a situation that allows me to use it I have about 80% pickup to 20% mike. It's pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the miked sound I get in the studio
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)