The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
my LX choice down to two models... your last minute thoughts sought

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

CharlieB
Posted 2004-01-30 3:07 PM (#196242)
Subject: my LX choice down to two models... your last minute thoughts sought

Well, I spent the last few days "in the bag" with an abcessed molar - this one was ready to come out, and needed oral surgery.

Promised myself an LX after the tooth ordeal was over.

Balladeer or Legend? Haven't seen either. Is the better top that much better sounding on teh Legend? A can see the appointments on the exterior are nicer.

Help me decide!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-30 3:29 PM (#196243 - in reply to #196242)
Subject: Re: my LX choice down to two models... your last minute thoughts sought

I played them at NAMM and both guitars sound WONDERFUL. These guitars are great value for the money, so I personally would not hesitate to play the little extra and get the Legend LX. It just looks a little nicer, richer, whatever. The rosette and fret markers especially look nicer to me. I doubt very much that in the future you would ever say to yourself, "Damn, I wished I saved a little money and got the Balladeer". Dave
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-30 3:39 PM (#196244 - in reply to #196242)
Subject: Re: my LX choice down to two models... your last minute thoughts sought

For what it's worth:

I have a very plain Balladeer S771 that I really love and it sounds great. I also have the 2001 Collector's Redwood top (multihole)... it also sounds great.

BUT, I find myself playing the 2001 better and more often than I play the Balladeer because I feel better when I play such a beautiful guitar.

Maybe that sounds stupid, but for me it's true. Abalone won't add anything to the tone, but, you might just play better, happier, and more often if you love the way the guitar looks and how you look and feel when you play it.

It's a complete combination... not just tonality.

If you find your eye going back to the Legend, take that as a hint...

.... also, wait until the pain medication wears off before you decide!

tim
CharlieB
Posted 2004-01-30 5:10 PM (#196245 - in reply to #196242)

Pain meds? Jim Beam is more like it. I really dont like the opiate derivitives they give ya for everytihng nowday.

If they made a Custom Legend-LX, it would be no problem, I'd get that. Part of me is thinking they will be doing that in a year or so, so maybe get the Balladeer now, with hopes to getting something really special later.

Decisions decisions....
dvd
Posted 2004-01-30 6:09 PM (#196246 - in reply to #196242)

If you prefer the looks of the Legend LX over the Balladeer LX and you can afford the Legend, I'd say go for it. The prices are close enough, like StandingOvation said.

If you decide to upgrade down the road, the Legend should get you a few more dollars.

If it helps make the final decision, check out my thread with real Balladeer LX pics and Matt's thread with real Legend LX pics

Best of luck!
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-30 6:16 PM (#196247 - in reply to #196242)

I'm with Dave...never have I wished I got the less expensive one. For me Guitar Envyalways rears it's ugly head & makes me want more than I bought.
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-30 7:16 PM (#196248 - in reply to #196242)

You mentioned a Custom Legend LX. Keep in mind how marketeer's rarely shoot all their guns at once. I would expect an expansion with somewhat of a hold-out on options over the next year.

Monday my Elite LX ships in and I hope to complete the Trilogy with pics. There are some in the gallery that Al took - but I don't think he's bought light bulbs over 40 watts for a quite a while - bless his heart!

And check out that carpet...
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-01-30 7:43 PM (#196249 - in reply to #196242)

2 cents worth:

I only have experience with a Legend, 1867 model. It's the best guitar I've ever played.

How much more are they?
How bad is your GAS?

I got my Legend "new" off the shelf, last February, a couple of years after it's creation. Got a great deal.

Get what works for you if you gotta have it now.
:(
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-30 8:32 PM (#196250 - in reply to #196242)

Keep in mind that the Legend uses better materials (hey, they're both great guitars) than the Balladeer, ie, ebony fingerboard vs. rosewood, AA spruce top vs. A. Also the Legend has a gloss finish on the neck which I like much more than the satin finish on the Balladeer.

If you can afford it, go with the Legend.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-30 9:02 PM (#196251 - in reply to #196242)

Charlie, I'd go for the Legend....nothing against the Balladeer, but the extra glitz on the Legend is neat! Plus, on the non-LX Balladeers versus Legends I have played, the sound always seems just a touch better on the Legend. I would expect this to continue in the LXs.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
KakaduDreamer
Posted 2004-01-31 12:38 AM (#196252 - in reply to #196242)

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

To satisfy my curiosity, my recommendation is the Legend LX in the Transparent Burgandy finish (-TPB)! :-) That way you can take some nice close up photos of it just like I did with my Natural finish model. I'm really curious to see what that one looks like!

Cheers,
Matt
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-31 3:49 AM (#196253 - in reply to #196242)

I'd like to see the Transparent Burgandy as well...I believe it would be beyond beautiful.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)