The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: I pulled the trigger on this today. Hope you don't mind me posting here, but wow!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

omegaman
Posted 2004-01-31 3:01 AM (#196230)
Subject: OT: I pulled the trigger on this today. Hope you don't mind me posting here, but wow!

http://www.tonosity.com/Detail/Editorial.aspx?Editorial_ID=9
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-31 8:48 AM (#196231 - in reply to #196230)
Subject: Re: OT: I pulled the trigger on this today. Hope you don't mind me posting here, but wow!

The ES 175 is a wonderful guitar. One of the members here has a very very early one with a single P-90. I wished I played well enough to justify spending and getting one.
Nils
Posted 2004-01-31 9:21 PM (#196232 - in reply to #196230)
Subject: Re: OT: I pulled the trigger on this today. Hope you don't mind me posting here, but wow!

There's a picture of my ES-175 in my gallery. I've never played a new one like yours. That sure it a pretty thing. Two pups would be cool. If your new one plays anything like my old one I think you'll like it a lot. Mine's an early 1953 model according to the serial number. *Very* nice old guitar. AFAIK it's been tuned to pitch for 51 years now & it still plays beautifully. I bought it from my wife's cousin about 15-20 years ago for $550. He had owned it for many years before that. I don't like to take it outside when the weather is bad or there might be a possibility that somebody might walk off with it so it stays home most of the time. I still play it regularly. My O's are ready to go out 24/7.

/\/\/
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-31 9:54 PM (#196233 - in reply to #196230)

Nils, verrrrry nice.
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-02 2:22 AM (#196234 - in reply to #196230)

Interesting post.

I just watched a Tony Bennett video on PBS made in San Francisco, and the guitar player was playing what looked like an ES175 except the neck pickup was much closer to the end of the fingerboard than the one shown here. It was a great sounding guitar and I didn't get the player's name but he was definately one of the best. It might have been a custom made jazz guitar as I don't recall seeing "Gibson" on the headstock.

When I got out of high school in 1953, one of my friends had a Gibson electris jazz guitar that his parents bought him that looked a lot like an ES-175. He was learning to (gasp) read music, and he thought us hillbillies with our flat tops and lap steels were pretty provincial. I've forgotton who he was, but I still remember that beautiful sunburst arch top Gibson. It was expensive even then, I have no idea what amp he had with it, it is possible that at that stage of guitar innocence that his parents may not have even bought an amp to go with it as it was "acoustic".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)