The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
repair question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Norseman1
Posted 2004-02-02 10:14 AM (#196063)
Subject: repair question

hi,

A co-worker has an old 3/4 guitar (no idea of the make). The bridge is totally removed from the guitar. We are going to glue the bridge back on, but I am looking for advice on the glue to use. It has a wood (looks to be spruce) soundboard, and the bridge looks to me to be ebony, if not ebony, it is a stained hardwood. Any way, my co-worker was thinking of using "Gorilla Glue". I am wanting to use Elmer's wood glue, but am wondering if an epoxy might be better?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Norse(novice repair)man1
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2004-02-02 10:45 AM (#196064 - in reply to #196063)
Subject: Re: repair question

I always hear the term "hide glue" used.

Best bet:
Check the StewMac catalog/website.
Norseman1
Posted 2004-02-02 12:24 PM (#196065 - in reply to #196063)

will do Cliff.

thanks.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-02 3:27 PM (#196066 - in reply to #196063)

Going back and looking at some of the interviews on this site - it says something abuot a 2 part glue, not "epoxy" but something that remains somewhat pliable instead of rock hard.

I'm no expert here, but there is some stuff called Zep Epoxy that fits the bill. Calling StewMac might be better.

I do know that hide glue shrinks with age - probably not the best to use when more modern adhesives are available.

Also, aren't there sometimes some dowels or pins that are used to hold a bridge in its proper place?
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-03 2:45 AM (#196067 - in reply to #196063)

Norsey

I guess your phone lines thawed out. In the old days wooden guitars were repaired with the type of glues that violin repair craftsmen use that can be softened with heat. That way things can be removed with the application of a heat gun if another repair is needed. Epoxys are usually forever so if another repair was needed the wood would have to be destroyed to separate the parts. A proof of this repair methods value are 400 year old Guarnaria and such violins that have been repaired and sound great today. if they had used epoxy they would have been thrown away 375 years ago as non-repairable. It is the wood parts that are valuable.
DaveO
Posted 2004-02-03 4:41 AM (#196068 - in reply to #196063)

With proper wood prep to both top and bridge titebond will do the job just fine. I use it everyday and it cleans up with water also. Just make sure to remove all the old glue from both surfaces or it won't last long. Also, don't rush it as far as stringing it up. Give it a good couple of days to cure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)