The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My letter to Customer Service : (

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

suzencarson
Posted 2004-02-02 3:48 PM (#195964)
Subject: My letter to Customer Service : (

thought I'd post this for any suggestions, input, feedback. Here's a letter I just fired off about my broken NEW Adamas Melissa Etheridge 12-String.

I purchased a 1598MERB Ovation/Adamas 12-String Guitar, Ruby Burst Melissa Etheridge Signature series, Serial # 18837 on November 2, 2003 at Sam Ash in New Haven, CT. I own 3 other Ovation guitars that I've had for over 10 years. I only have 1 surface finish crack on my Ovation TB01 Thunderbolt. And it is a guitar I've had on the road many years. I also own 6 other guitars that I've had for over 10 years, and have never had a problem with any of them.

I have cared for this new guitar carefully, and kept it in it's case, in my house, when not playing it. After owning it for 84 days, I noticed two breaks between soundholes and cracking, peeling up of the epaulets and the top layer of the soundboard. I was DESPERATELY counting on using this guitar for a show I have this week, Feb 5, but I wanted to get attention to this matter before it became worse and became "my fault" in any way.

So, on January 26, 2004, I took it back to Sam Ash Music in New Haven, CT. The Guitar Manager there, Eric Senise, told me the breakage was due to 'cold weather' and told me it would need to be sent back to the factory. He also told me there was nothing he could do to help me with my need to have this 12-String guitar on Feb 5.

Today, Feb 2, I have still heard nothing. I called the store, and they said they knew nothing, and told me it had been sent to "command". They seemed to not care that I was upset about not having this guitar for which I spent $1842.

I have taken a lot of flack from my Martin and Taylor playing peers for my decision to play Ovation guitars and for my strong stance in supporting this company and this technology. But I brush off their comments about buying a "real guitar made of wood." I am a member of the Ovation Fan Club and have proudly played only Ovation acoustic-electrics on stage for years in many states, many shows. I have only recorded with Ovation, only have my photo taken with Ovation. I have encouraged many friends to buy Ovations. I am disappointed that the guitar I wanted was at Sam Ash Music, because I am thinking it is not a good store to deal with after this lack of interest in my disappointment. I feel let down, and feel I just look stupid now for defending my "plastic" guitar.

My band has built its sound around my playing that 12-String guitar, and I have a show this Thursday, with many friends and fans travelling from far to see us. I do not have a 12-String.

I am not sure whether to be disapppointed in the workmanship on this Adamas, or in Sam Ash Music, or in the fact that I did not buy the Martin or Taylor guitar I was looking at.

If anyone there knows of a way I could get this situation rectified immediately, please contact me. I have been given no feedback or timeline.

Susan Carson
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-02 4:02 PM (#195965 - in reply to #195964)
Subject: Re: My letter to Customer Service : (

Call Ovation Customer Service at 860-379-7575. Faster than writing. This is the published number at www.OvationGuitars.com under Customer Service. They are by far one of the the best customer service departments in the industry.
Goober
Posted 2004-02-02 4:05 PM (#195966 - in reply to #195964)

Personally, I think it was a big mistake taking the guitar back to Sam Ash. I always deal directly with Kim Keller at Ovation for all warranty and repair work, and have *never* been let down.

Call the Ovation Service Dept. and see what they say. They always keep me on top of any work I'm having done by phone or e-mail. Can't hurt?

Sam Ash is too busy trying to sell guitars today to worry too much about your "little problem." JMO, of course.

Good luck and hang in there!
Standingovation
Posted 2004-02-02 4:05 PM (#195967 - in reply to #195964)

Susan,

I can sense your frustration. I have bought things at Sam Ash in the past and found them to be good to deal with up front. But I have never had to deal with a service issue through them. For future reference you may find a smaller, more personalized dealer (Alpep) better to deal with. If you ever need service in the future, I would also suggest that you deal with Ovations service department directly. I can tell you 100% for sure that they are THE best in the industry.

But that does not solve your immediate problem. What I would do (SOB that I am) would be go back to Sam Ash and examine their return policy IN DETAIL. Make absolutely sure that whatever you buy can be returned in 30 days in new condition for a FULL refund. Buy yourself a 12-string for your gig (just a celebrity ro balladeer 12 will do). Play the gig and return the guitar the next day for a refund.

If I lived closer (Arizona) I'd let you borrow my Adamas 12 for the gig. Maybe there is an OFC member in your neighborhood who would be happy to come to the gig and bring along their 12 string for you to use. Just an idea. Maybe some from Ovation/Kaman will read this and come up with an idea or two.

Dave
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-02 4:15 PM (#195968 - in reply to #195964)

Note: Sam Ash has a 30 day money back and performance gaurantee - you of course were out of that window.

From what I see, at this point, its not Ovation's fault. Ovation states that the warranty evaluation time is 2-3 days. Read it on their website.

I'd be all over Sam's ash about this. "Sent to command" is not acceptable.

BTW, some credit cards offer protection plans on all purchases. Might want to check that out.

Finally - document each and every thing you do with Sam Ash. You might need to produce documentation if things get ugly.

Call Ovation, see if their customer service has even heard from Sam Ash yet about the problem.
Mario
Posted 2004-02-02 4:34 PM (#195969 - in reply to #195964)

Note: Sam Ash has a 30 day money back and performance gaurantee - you of course were out of that window.

I don't think that is what Dave meant. He means to go to Sam Ash buy another, use it and then return it to get through the gig, (wink-wink) since there is really not enough time for someone to do something for them, or is there? !
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-02 6:04 PM (#195970 - in reply to #195964)

Good luck getting a "replacement" in time. Don't understand the original "damage" to the guitar. The cracks just appeared in that short time?
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-02 6:06 PM (#195971 - in reply to #195964)

Oh heck yes... that's acceptable if they're dragging their feet over the whole matter. That is IF they have another.

On a more broad note - how do places like this prevent guys from basically "freeloading" stuff for gigs?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-02 11:23 PM (#195972 - in reply to #195964)

It's not "sent to command", it's sent to Kaman. If your guitar is at Ovation (Kaman Music), then Kim Keller can track it down. Call him in the morning.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-03 5:37 AM (#195973 - in reply to #195964)

I'll bet it's still in the back room at Sam Ash, or was just shipped yesterday. For Suzen's sake, I hope I'm wrong. :(

This is amazing to me. My ME 12-string is in perfect shape, just as it came from the shop. No cracks, no pulling up, NOTHING. For what it's worth, it was made in Sept./Oct. 2001(sat in the shop for 2 years before I bought it).

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
iconocoustica
Posted 2004-02-03 8:24 AM (#195974 - in reply to #195964)

I can ditto the statement that Kim Keller is a good guy and is very responsive to concerns/problems. He has always returned my e-mails promptly. Suzen, try e-mailing him. They don't want us giving out contact info on this site but his e-mail address is on his phone machine message if he's not in when you call him.
Hope you can work this out.

Franklin
Strummin12
Posted 2004-02-03 10:14 AM (#195975 - in reply to #195964)

Susan-

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I understand fully your frustration, and hope that you can work the problem out. in time for your gig.

I've never had major problems with my 12 string ovations...they are generally very well made guitars, and have always outshined others when it comes to the demands of gigging. Mine have been real awesome workhorses.

I would love to offer as a suggestion...that if you're gigging on a regular basis, buy an additional 12 string suitable for gigging. It's an expensive "backup" expense, but well worth it when you find yourself with guitar troubles. You just never know when you could run into a problem with one (regardless of brand), but you won't be in a jam with only days to a gig. Also, if you break a string on stage, you can just grab the other guitar and keep the set going, and fix the broken string on your break.

I have an Adamas SMT 12 string ( which is essentially the same as the Melissa guitar but with a different preamp-one I think is better) that I've used as one of my backup guitars..and I keep going back and forth on whether to sell it since I don't use it much. It's in immaculate condition since it's hardly ever used. Perhaps if you're interested in it, I could bring it up for the OFC tour for you to check out, if, down the line, you decide to get additional guitar (for about half of what you paid for yours?).

Anyway, all the best with your situation. Keep the faith with Ovation...this isn't the "norm" for these guitars.

Be well,
Johnny
suzencarson
Posted 2004-02-06 5:46 PM (#195976 - in reply to #195964)

Well, gang, I just wanted to update you on my ME 12-string ordeal: It's all okay now, thanks to Kim Keller at Ovation! I was getting SUCH a runaround from Sam Ash Music. Thanks to all expressed sympathy, gave suggestions, even offered to lend or sell me a guitar while I was without one. You are all great!

Kim Keller responded immediately, and had the guitar fixed up, better than new, and in my hands in a day! I had it in time for my gig. AND I must say, the crowd was digging my fancy Melissa Etheridge Adamas 12 String way more than the Martin and Alvarez sharing the stage. hahaha, hey if Nothing else, it looks cooler! Sounded good, played great!

Thanks Kim!!!
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-02-06 5:51 PM (#195977 - in reply to #195964)

Great news! :D

One more reason to be an Ovationite! :cool:

....gig pics???!!!!

tim
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-06 5:59 PM (#195978 - in reply to #195964)

FABULOUS!!!!!! :)

That is great. ONE DAY. I find it hard to imagine that it could be fixed in one day(time for glue to set, etc.), but if anyone can, I'm sure the people at Ovation can.

I actually expected them to do a warranty swap or a loan(given that Suzen is fairly local).

As far as that local branch of Sam Ash, BOO...HISS....

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Goober
Posted 2004-02-06 6:25 PM (#195979 - in reply to #195964)

Great! I'm glad it worked out for you. Kim is simply the best.
alpep
Posted 2004-02-06 6:27 PM (#195980 - in reply to #195964)

Kim Keller sucks. what an incompetent stuck up concieted boob. I hope he falls off the end of the earth and is never found again.

You can't keep pumping up Kim's ego, or when I call him I have hell to pay!!!!
samova
Posted 2004-02-06 6:34 PM (#195981 - in reply to #195964)

Al, im with you.Kim does suck.I once called him and left a message on his voice mail and it took him 15 minutes to call me back.I will not tolerate this kind of service!!
After all what if this was a guitar emergency!!!
KKeller
Posted 2004-02-07 4:05 PM (#195982 - in reply to #195964)

Sam & Alex,
You're right, I do suck. Just wait until your next 'project' guitars come across my workbench! Thank you for the kind words from everyone else.

Suzen,
It was a pleasure to meet you and rescue you from your predicament. You should post when some of your public gigs are so I can drag Alex out of NJ and come see you.

Oddly enough, when Suzen came up to the factory to pick up her guitar, we found out that we are both transplanted from the same hometown. It's a small world!

Kim
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-07 4:08 PM (#195983 - in reply to #195964)

It's great that you could help her so quickly. Any chance Ovation will begin refurbishing players as well as guitars. My Ovations are fine. I'm the one that needs the work.
samova
Posted 2004-02-07 4:19 PM (#195984 - in reply to #195964)

Hey Kim, when i said you sucked i meant that in a good way!! :p :p

Now can i send you my next project??
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-07 5:28 PM (#195985 - in reply to #195964)

Originally posted by Kim:
It's a small world!

But I wouldn't wanna paint it
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-02-07 7:41 PM (#195986 - in reply to #195964)

Kim said: "Oddly enough, when Suzen came up to the factory to pick up her guitar, we found out that we are both transplanted from the same hometown. It's a small world!"

Yeah, Smallville! ;)

Super job Kim, etal!

Dale
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)