The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
An E-bay success!..1976 Balladeer

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

BalladeerFun
Posted 2004-02-04 3:03 PM (#195789)
Subject: An E-bay success!..1976 Balladeer

For years I've been wanting a Ovation acoustic that can be used as a travel guitar... I've gotten tired of taking my expensive wooden guitars to the beach only to have the backs scratched and dinged up by the arms of the beach chairs on the deck of the beach house... Well after much browsing and playing different ones at a local Ovation dealer here in Tulsa, Oklahoma I took the leap on e-bay... Always weary of not being able to play the guitar first I knew I didn't want to pay too much... Well i set my eyes on a 1976 Balladeer 1111-6...(the guy advertised it as a 1111-5)... (He said he never played it and it needed some new strings..).. three lacquer cracks below the bridge... lousy cardboard case... I bid, I won!.. $177.00... 5 days later the guitar shows up at my office.. I take it out of the lousy case and out came this beautiful White topped roundback!... Not a ding!... Not a scratch!... Neck needed to be adjusted so I took it to my favorite neck guru and he set it up and put a set of light Elixirs on it and WOW!!!... What a great toy to add to the collection!!.. Now I can't put the damn thing down!... The white top is stunning... I've got a 1978 Alvarez Yairi DY 55 (mohagany), 1975 Martin D-18, and now this beautiful white spruced top Balladeer.. I've been reading thru all the posts about the sound of Ovations... This baby's sound is certainly distinct and different than my woodies and is a gas to play!... I feel like I got the deal of the century... Now the question!.. I'm going to be traveling with this guitar to the beach house on the Gulf of Mexico and will be taking it into and out of the air conditioned beach house... Will the temperature differences cause the lacquer cracks to grow?... they're only about an inch long now and are not a result of bridge lifting... Thanks for all the great posts!... You guys are funnier than you know!
Best to ya!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
xnoel
Posted 2004-02-04 3:22 PM (#195790 - in reply to #195789)
Subject: Re: An E-bay success!..1976 Balladeer

BalladeerFun
Welcome! Congratulations on your "new" O. Good to know there is another fan club member from Oklahoma. Someone else posted from our state, but I lost track of him in the posts, maybe he will resurface.

Noel
alpep
Posted 2004-02-04 4:31 PM (#195791 - in reply to #195789)

is that funny Ha Ha or funny like you amuse me????
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-04 5:16 PM (#195792 - in reply to #195789)

Don't forget to post pics of you and your "O" on vacation!

Way to go.
Nils
Posted 2004-02-05 1:13 AM (#195793 - in reply to #195789)

Welcome aboard. Nice hit on the Balladeer. Sorry I'm not qualified to answer your question. If it was me I would leave it in the case as long as possible before opening it when moving it in & out of the A/C areas & cross my fingers. It'll still sound better than $177 even if the finish cracks get a little bigger. :)

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-05 2:34 AM (#195794 - in reply to #195789)

Balladeerfun

You got one really great deal and Ovations have always been noted for their ability to withstand things like playing at the beach. You could even give it to the kids to dig sand castles and it would come back ready to play. However, the top is wood and will show the effects of any of this kind of abuse or use. However, take it with you and play it, don't give it to the kids, and if you get a few finish cracks you will have something to remind you of the most fun you ever had in life, for what you paid that is the cheapest great memories you will ever have. I'm 68 years old and some of my best memories are reflected in a scratch or wear on my instrument companions, I wouldn't trade any for a pristine wall hanger that hadn't went with me to some of those wonderful youthful excesses.

However, you could hang it on the wall and it will probably never get any scratches or dings or memories.

Bailey
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-05 12:16 PM (#195795 - in reply to #195789)

Bailey,

Do you think one of those new blue ones would be ok for clam diggin? Keep in mind that on the left coast we have more rocks and oysters.

Balladeerfun - Congrats!
BalladeerFun
Posted 2004-02-08 7:22 PM (#195796 - in reply to #195789)

Thanks for the replies guys!... I really enjoyed them... I'll keep you updated... The biggest problem I have right now is that the Yairi is sitting around acting like a neglected child!... I just look at it and enjoy the hell out of picking the little balladeer!... The white top is something you've got to see... I'll see if I can get some decent pic's of it to post!...
samova
Posted 2004-02-08 7:28 PM (#195797 - in reply to #195789)

Balladeerfun,you can send me the Yairi as i am buying up some of these now..Is the DY 55 the one with the hollow diamond inlays on the fingerboard?
Beal
Posted 2004-02-08 7:29 PM (#195798 - in reply to #195789)

Something that old has been through 25+ years of change. I would guess that whatever cracks are there won't grow much. I could be wrong but at $177 who cares? Take it everywhere, have your passport photo retaken with it in the picture. enjoy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)