The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Bigsby options.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

rowka
Posted 2004-02-05 9:22 AM (#195686)
Subject: Bigsby options.

Hi all,
Thanks for the info and support on my recent purchase of a '79 Thunderhead. If interested, there are pictures in this thread.

I understand there may be some collectable value above the $250 I payed for the guitar and there are some valid reasons to keep the guitar stock, but as there is a rather crude toggle switch repair, I don't think I can do much worse.

My question is regarding Bigsby models. I have basically 2 options. With or without the added tension bar.

The Thunderheads with trems in the OFC photo albums have the kind with no tension bar.

Paul Templeman suggested that either will be fine and it is just a mater of adjusting the neck angle and bridge height. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Also, the string slots in the original bridge seem, well, rough. I was wondering if a replacement stud-mount bridge with roller saddles might be a good idea.

What do you all think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-05 9:41 AM (#195687 - in reply to #195686)
Subject: Re: Bigsby options.

There is a product called Big Bends Nut Sauce, which is a graphite paste lubricant designed for vibrato systems etc. I use it on my vibrato & B-bender guitars, works great. It should cure any Bigsby-related tuning problems

http://www.guitaristonly.com/generic8.html
rowka
Posted 2004-02-05 10:27 AM (#195688 - in reply to #195686)

That Nut Sauce looks like neat stuff.

And Paul, I hope I didn't offend you in any way. I'm just trying to collect as much info as I can.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-05 11:57 AM (#195689 - in reply to #195686)

No offense taken. The tension bar Bigsby's were introduced because of the very shallow neck sets on some Gretsch, Gibson ond other hollowbody guitars. As they were fixed-neck guitars the neck-angle couldn't be adjusted without surgery. The Storm guitars are of course bolt-ons & have a neck-tilt allen bolt under the neck-plate. So, if you want to use a non-tension bar vibrato the neck set needs to be steep & the bridge up, just enough to get a break-angle, but not so much that it snags up the vibrato movement. Tension bar Bigsbys need the oposite.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)