The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
collector edition temptation?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Englishplayer
Posted 2004-02-05 6:03 PM (#195662)
Subject: collector edition temptation?

If anyone was tempted by the musiciansfriend 2003 collector refurb for $999, they have dropped the price to $799. Tempted? As great a price as that is, you might want to test drive an lx first.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-05 8:31 PM (#195663 - in reply to #195662)
Subject: Re: collector edition temptation?

How WOULD they compare?
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-02-05 10:26 PM (#195664 - in reply to #195662)

I've played them both, and from my limited knowledge, I would start by saying you win either way. I compared them both side by side against my 1861 balladeer...

the 2003 unplugged had a soothing sound with a little more depth (than the 1861), but the difference was noticeable without being as dramatic as I was expecting. The 1778lx has a more woody feel (as advertised) and an overall wider field of sound to create (by someone who plays better than myself!). The 1778lx is a clearer improvement (over the 1861) in overall tone to my ears. With the introduction of the lx elites, the lustre of the 2003 collector is not quite as bright. Both are absolutely gorgeous close up. I really liked that vintage/yellow/gold color of the 2003. The inlaid ep's are beautiful (no shotgun blast in my opinion). Both plugged in and played well on my little 30 watt acoustic amp. It struck me that the tone of the the plugged lx was excellent without any adjustment. I'd like to hear more people's opinions (by people who can really play) on the lx unplugged sound because I really think Ovation hit a homer with the lx.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-05 11:29 PM (#195665 - in reply to #195662)

"I'd like to hear more people's opinions (by people who can really play) on the lx unplugged sound because I really think Ovation hit a homer with the lx."

While I don't feel I fully qualify here I do have some hands-on to relate. I just came back from church band practice. It was the first time I plugged in my Elite LX. Basically it was uneventful - gain about 1/3 and pre eq engaged. I had no feedback or tone issues to speak of where previously I had to watch where I moved with my other guitar with non-active hot-dots. We were drums, two acoustics, an electric and bass. I easily upped my bass and mid to come under the lead guitar. It was effortless. Now I only heard it from our shared monitor. There wasn't time to have someone else play and go listen.
Unplugged it is the best acoustic for me. I feel it has more depth and soul than any other accoustic I've held. The list includes a very sweet but light hearted Breedlove, A 36 yr. old Guild Dreadnaught, a top of the line 25 year old Martin, and host of unmemorable others.

When I was shopping around and came back to 2003 Collector (3 times)I thought it felt good and sounded good. To me I saw it about equal with the Elite T I played in many ways. All of this was unplugged.

I said it once before, I see the 2003C as more of a transition leading up to the Elite LX and not equal. In my mind candidates for the Collector series should be instruments that would make stand-out custom orders. Their quantity should be limited as well.

IMHO - If I had an extra $800 I would get a Standard/Special Elite LX instead. Hope I helped.
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-06 4:52 AM (#195666 - in reply to #195662)

Yes you did! The opinions are exactly what I was looking for.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-06 8:58 AM (#195667 - in reply to #195662)

IMHO - If I had an extra $800 I would get a Standard/Special Elite LX instead

What do you mean and what would you get? I am going to do this later this year and am getting a custom made Legend for my 50th B-day.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-06 9:07 AM (#195668 - in reply to #195662)

Maybe another string entitled "If I had $600 I would get a..." or "If I had $1500 I would get a ..." should follow. This go around I managed to put a little over $1000 together between renovations and orthodontics. :)

It really is too bad that the music stores aren't stocked so we can test drive and choose

BTW - When is mid-life?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-06 9:10 AM (#195669 - in reply to #195662)

Between 20 and 80.
Ovation4me
Posted 2004-02-17 9:15 PM (#195670 - in reply to #195662)

I ordered one of these 2003 "refurbs" from MF last week and just received it this morning. I am extremely happy with it. It looks and plays outstanding. At this point, I'm not sure what constitutes it being a FRG. I've been over it with a fine tooth comb (inside and out). Maybe I just lucked out and received one of the good ones. Anyway... For $799. I think its a great piece and I'm happy to have this to add to the collection.
Haven't had the opportunity to play an LX yet. Look forward to it though...
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-02-17 9:41 PM (#195671 - in reply to #195662)

I bought one at $999 before they listed them as refurbs. I sent it back more on principle because the guitar I received was gorgeous and spotless and normally it would have been a keeper! That vintage color with the solid walnut eps looks fantastic. The sound was first-rate. I e-mailed MF later when the Lxs came out and reminded them and they made it up to me by giving me a great price on the Elite LX. They took care of me. At $799, I can't imagine a higher quality guitar than the collectors. I, also, couldn't find a flaw in the one sent to me. Congrats! I suspect you'll love it!
omegaman
Posted 2004-02-17 10:09 PM (#195672 - in reply to #195662)

I got a slightly used Coll 2003 Ed. from Sammies a few months ago and I bought it at 1099.00, mentioned the price breaks online to them and got a 200.00 adjustment, net is 899.00. I absolutely love it. it was in 99% condition, just sanded and reoiled the fretboard. I can't imagine enjoying it anymore. I love my Santa Cruz, but I enjoy playing this almost as much, plugged it it is far superior to any Tak. or Taylor I tried, no feedback problems like the Taylor had even with its new electronic system. I recommend it highly. Best of luck.
Nils
Posted 2004-02-17 10:32 PM (#195673 - in reply to #195662)

Originally posted by MWoody:

BTW - When is mid-life?

I actually finally figured that out. You can't go by years because it's different for everybody. I had a lot of friends who were at mid life when the were teenagers. They just didn't know it. So I've decided that Mid Life is when you can think of about the same amount of your friends that are dead as that are alive.

/\/\/
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-17 11:54 PM (#195674 - in reply to #195662)

How about Mid-Life being:

the time that you can see as many dreams and aspirations ahead of you as you have missed or fulfilled already?

I think I'm there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)