The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Guitar club- first meeting

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2004-02-06 8:49 PM (#195559)
Subject: Guitar club- first meeting

The Now & Zen Cafe has a wonderful, hardwood floor, living room setting that served us well. Couches & chairs, and a big center coffee table for our music cheat sheets. OFC members BrianT, Don, and myself were joined by two more guitar players. A few customers stopped and listened for a while. One young man said he played jazz guitar. Someone asked if he knew "take 5". He said..."Sure!", then played it for us.
We played Wild Horses, Country Roads, Wonderful Tonight, Behind Blue Eyes, an others with some degree of success. And some with less of a degree.
Mostly we were just trying to figure how to make this thing work. We had some who are just a few months into guitar, up to Brian who has quite a good songbook in his head.
At the next meeting we will try to work on the same songs as a group and hopefuly others will bring in copies of lyrics and chords that we can all work off of. Brian had the great idea of letting us play a solo song if we wish to help conquer performance jitters.
One guy is in market for an guitar. Let's just say that there is an LX out there with his name one it. Funny....he thought I was an Ovation sales rep!! I mean just because I play one, and I was wearing my Ovation denim shirt, and I handed out Ovation picks to everyone doesn't make me a rep....does it?
I want to post a pic of our group on this board. I'll figure out how to do that this weekend.
Long Live Rock!!!
Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-06 9:14 PM (#195560 - in reply to #195559)
Subject: Re: Guitar club- first meeting

In effect we are "Reps", aren't we? With over 2000 Members that cared enough to sign in and a kazillion Peeps surfing through, the 30-40 active posters are representing what's important to us. Put on your Ovation T shirt and carry your coffee cup and to some you're a fanatic!

I can handle that.

There are a lot worse things to spend your money and time on. The small group you are part of is outstanding. That is the core of what's important. I suggest that everyone do two things in the next two weeks:

1- Put an Ovation in the hands of someone younger than you.

2- Play in public.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-06 10:06 PM (#195561 - in reply to #195559)

Brad, sounds like a good time! I was afraid that one was actually expected to be GOOD!!! :eek:

I had also wondered if a player was going to need to have several songs worked up and memorized. Sounds like sheets with lyrics and chords are the order of the day!

I should be over for one of the next 2 or 3 meetings. :)

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
stellarjim
Posted 2004-02-07 9:53 PM (#195562 - in reply to #195559)

Hi Brad:
I'm the guy that started a Guitar club in Louisville, OH (near Canton). We have a similar situation where some of our members are veterans, some, like me are average still and a few are beginners. Our format is to pair up for about half an hour where the msore experienced members mentor the less experienced. After that, we randomly create a couple "bands" and work separately to have a "Battle of the Bands". We wrap up the night with a jam session.
Good people, good fun.
Jim
Slipkid
Posted 2004-02-08 5:55 AM (#195563 - in reply to #195559)

Jim,
Thanks...some good suggestions there. I have wanted to steer clear of "lessons". The club should not be a substitute for proper instruction. But when you put in in the terms of a "mentor", and limit the time, it could work!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)