The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
bridge lifting up, Custom Legend 6759

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2004-02-08 2:30 AM (#195426)
Subject: bridge lifting up, Custom Legend 6759

2000 CL 6759 12-string...noticed that the back of the bridge, area of the string balls rest - lifting up about 1/16th of an inch. Could probably slip a paper clip between bridge and top. With flashlight, can see the bare wood. Immediately loosened the strings. No damage to the top or bridge. A little pressure brings the bridge flush. As this was bought used, no warranty.

Is this something that needs to go back to the factory, a local luthier, or a little crazy glue? Hate to turn it over to UPS.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
xnoel
Posted 2004-02-08 5:21 AM (#195427 - in reply to #195426)
Subject: Re: bridge lifting up, Custom Legend 6759

Tony,
If you know someone locally that you have confidence in and that knows Ovations and doesn't mind working on them, you should be fine.
The fellow that fixed the crack in the top of my 1866 also removed the bridge and remounted it. He told me that Ovation bridges are attached with epoxy or something similar and that there is a recess in the bottom of the bridge for the excess to flow into. I think I remember reading this in some posts here also.
This worked fine for me and my 12 string, and I am glad that I did not try the repair myself as was my first inclination.

Noel
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-02-08 6:44 AM (#195428 - in reply to #195426)

Tony,

I think you would have a very difficult time with UPS on that one. It's hard enough to get them to pay a claim when there is pretty clear evidence that their handling caused a problem.

Going out on a limb here, I find it odd that a bridge should suddenly start lifting that much while in transit. My suspicious nature has me thinking the problem prexisted. Temperature could have exacerbated it, especially if the guitar was shipped at full tension (a very bad idea in itself, because keeping full tension on the bridge creates pull on the top and increases vulnerability to impact cracks).

The bridge problem is thankfully not common, but it isn't rare, either. I think your closest Ovation dealer's tech, or any competent luthier, should be able to fix it. I am not qualified to judge whether the bridge needs to be removed and reglued, or just have some glue injected under it and clamping it down.

Blessings on a reasonably priced completely effective repair!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-08 7:48 AM (#195429 - in reply to #195426)

It's hard to tell with UPS, but if you have any confidence that the bridge was ok before shipment, than by all means contact UPS. That's what the insurance is for. I just shipped an ADAT that was in perfect condition. When it arrived the buyer claims it's making a little more noise than his current ADAT. UPS sent me the paperwork (I paid for the insurance) and I just need to send a copy of the reciept from the repair place. If the guitar was shipped properly, and there is no reason to doubt the seller, ups will probably cover it.
alpep
Posted 2004-02-08 8:30 AM (#195430 - in reply to #195426)

if the claim is under 100 bucks ups pays it without any hassle at all. if it is over 100 then you have to jump through hoops. I've done that jump several times, I think ringling brothers will be my next employer
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-02-08 9:35 AM (#195431 - in reply to #195426)

This guitar was not recently shipped...got it earlier this year. No damage when I got it. So, point is no free ride as shipping/repair. This is the ebony bridge, epoxy v. pin, held down well except for the back area of about 4". No bowing, etc., of top. As finish is black, concern over screwing up finish during repair. Also, no idea how to find a repair facility or luthier in this area.

The UPS problem is with the 1658 slothead that is about 30 days old and they still don't have enough information to send seller the claim forms. I am beginning to feel like my 44th gr-grandfather Godigiselus of the Vandals. No patience as they won't even say when they might be able to send the claim forms - claim made 1/12, UPS rep spent almost 2 hr at my house checking out damage & taking photos on 1/20.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)