The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
GAS-B-Gone... I jumped off the deep end!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-09 8:14 PM (#195295)
Subject: GAS-B-Gone... I jumped off the deep end!

Ya know I've been battling GAS for a little bit - and thats one of the reasons I came here.

I've tossed and turned at nite. Cold sweats. No sex. My cats shun me.

I've travelled countless hundreds of miles in my search (ok so I can't higher then three x 100!).

I've asked questions, tried to learn, tried to test and play. Tried not to get kicked out of places (like I did once at Sam Ash!)

Folks, I've endured many miserable hours, bombarded by "Stairway to Heaven" in the showrooms of various musical instrument dealerships, while trying to listen to the nuances of acoustic perfection.

Finally, I've made some new friend, refound old ones and tried to do the right thing. And yes, I'm glad to have found kindred sprits here.

My search is over, but I believe the journey has only just started.

Today I had AlPep order an SMT for me.

Jeeebus! All ye men and ladies alike! Can you relate to this poor SOB, who's never owned an acoustic, and would rather be playing a nice mahogany Tele-Thinline just about anyday of the week (or fishin', either is jus'bout perfect).

I feel like I just realized tomorrow is my wedding day.

Thanks for bein' there y'all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-02-09 8:42 PM (#195296 - in reply to #195295)
Subject: Re: GAS-B-Gone... I jumped off the deep end!

"Stairway to Heaven..." that's funny! Reminds me of Wayne's World & the sign in the music store "Absolutely NO Stairway to Heaven Allowed..." Did you say to Al: "Oh, yes... It WILL be mine!!" :cool:

What color? I've always liked the ruby, personally. I used to play a lot of electric in my teens & 20's, but the last decade just about exclusively my Ovation. I like acoustic more & more every year.

What part of FL do you live in (if I'm reading your post right)?? I have yest to see an Adamas in any music store around here (St. Petersburg). Got some vage response like "I think we had one about a month or so ago, but..." from the Sam Ash dude in Clearwater last year, that's as close as I've gotten. Seminole Music had a nice 2000 Collector's, but it was bolted to the 15' ceiling with armed guards & motion-sensitive laser cannons protecting it. Oh well, I digress...

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Have heard nothing but great comments about Al. He'll get a call from me, too, when I can afford it. Well, probably even if I can't. What the heck. Life is too short to not have an Adamas.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-09 8:58 PM (#195297 - in reply to #195295)

Congrats!

Take that Leap of Faith and go as fast as your wallet will let you.

You can now stop asking Music Stores to stock what you WANT and just let them know you GOT YOURs through AP of the OFC.

Do keep in mind that all abatements of GAS are only temporary. We are treated but not cured.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-09 8:58 PM (#195298 - in reply to #195295)

I'm over in Palm "we can't count" Beach. There's nothing here in the way of mid level and higher end Ovations. I found one used Adamas, but the deep bowl wasn't comfy for me due to LBBCS (Lyra Bio Bowlshape Conflict Syndrome).

Reading back for ya... I did find a few tacky shopworn Custom Legends. But today at lunchtime I happened into playing an SMT by sheer luck. It was in for a setup and its owner just happened to pick it up and test it a bit. New strings aside, I'd say it sounded pretty damn nice. Al's right tho, the older ones sound better.

S'now the wait begins
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-09 9:17 PM (#195299 - in reply to #195295)

Congratulations, Charlie! Yes, there IS a third kind.....Adamas!!!

I frequent a music store that specializes in buying and selling used equipment....they have a sign up, "NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN"...and some wag has hand-written under it "and NO BLINK 182!"....

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
alpep
Posted 2004-02-09 10:42 PM (#195300 - in reply to #195295)

don't post I am right too often...then kim will be obligated to post that I suck and we will then open another big can of worms
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-10 7:55 AM (#195301 - in reply to #195295)

I heard once that it's not what you say about someone but how you end it. For example:

Al sucks, and I don't mean that in a bad way!

or

Al sucks, bless his heart!

See, kinda feels right.
Feel free to try this today. (Exception being those of you who are elected Officials in states like or near Texas. It don't work in Texas.) ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)