The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
modifying my Viper?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

P-Diddy
Posted 2004-02-10 3:13 PM (#195188)
Subject: modifying my Viper?

I own two Ovation solidbodies. A preacher Delux and a new one. A Viper that had been modified with Dimarzio pickups. There is a hole in the pickguard for a switch that was removed. Right now it only has a pickup selector switch.

I am not sure what that other switch is for, I have one on my preacher but assumed it had to do something with the active electronics, the Viper has no batteries, nor does it have the small thumbswitches above the pickups like the Preacher.

What was this switch for?

Other question. Is there enough room cut out of the body to fit a seperate tone toggle for each pickup?

I figure it's already been modified, so I might as well turn it into a complete FrankenGuitar.

Any other neat suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-10 6:28 PM (#195189 - in reply to #195188)
Subject: Re: modifying my Viper?

The extra switch was an addition not found on the original. It could have been either a coil-tap or phase switch. The second switch on your Preacher D is a mid-range notch filter, the slide switches are series/parralel selectors.
P-Diddy
Posted 2004-02-16 8:45 AM (#195190 - in reply to #195188)

Is the Mid Range Notch Filter on my preacher operated by the battery, or is the battery used to power something else.

Because the viper is solid in the back, so there is no room for 9Volts. But it would be cool to stuff one of those inside if there is room.
BruDeV
Posted 2004-02-16 1:13 PM (#195191 - in reply to #195188)

The notch filter is part of the pre-amp. This company has some passive midrange circuits.

http://www.torresengineering.com/famguitkit.html
P-Diddy
Posted 2004-02-16 2:37 PM (#195192 - in reply to #195188)

Thanks for the Link!

I ordered a SUper Midrange Boost that does not require a battery.

I will have this local shop install it and if there is room throw in seperate tone and Volume Controls for each pickup.

I should post a pick when done.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-16 6:01 PM (#195193 - in reply to #195188)

The mid-switch in the Preacher Deluxe, Deacon & Breadwinner is a midrange notch (cut) designed to make the humbuckers sound more like single coils, which is exactly the opposite of what you've ordered. Having said that, a mid-boost on a Viper will probably work just fine if you want it to give it a little more balls. If you want something that works like the Ovation pre you need their mid-cut circuit.

A major problem with passive circuitry such as this is that it can make the output of the guitar inconsistent. The Ovation Deacon/Bread/P.Deluxe preamp keeps the output of the guitar consistent regardless of pickup selection, pickup phase or notch filter position
P-Diddy
Posted 2004-02-17 9:08 AM (#195194 - in reply to #195188)

Dang!

Are you sure it wont cut the midrange. From the description 5 is neutral, and then you can add or subtract midrange.

I am certain it is not exactly like the preacher's setup, but it should provide some shaping possibilities.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-17 9:11 AM (#195195 - in reply to #195188)

It should be fine. The title just says "mid-boost" but according to the description it is actually a cut or boost control
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)