The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Correcting Bow in a Legend Neck

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

stellarjim
Posted 2004-02-10 4:57 PM (#195178)
Subject: Correcting Bow in a Legend Neck

I have a beautiful deep bowl 1767 Legend that I like very much. However, it has a small amount of bow in the neck that really bothers me. My guitar has an allen wrench included with it, which I assume is to adjust the neck. Does anyone know if a truss rod adjustment will help and if so, in what direction should I turn the screw to remove the bow?
Thanks in advance.
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-02-10 5:14 PM (#195179 - in reply to #195178)
Subject: Re: Correcting Bow in a Legend Neck

A truss rod adjustment is what should adjust the bow, or 'relief' of the neck. Assuming that it is bowed away from the strings, which is by far the most common neck relief problem, use the wrench and turn it clockwise. Go slow! A eighth turn is good to start, which is about how far the wrench will go without having to take it out and reinsert it to adjust it again.

I use my left index finger to fret the low E at the first fret (a capo serves this purpose, too). I take the thumb of my right hand and fret the same string at the 12th fret, and then pivot the right hand and depress the string at the sixth fret. If the relief is properly adjusted, there should be very little -- but some -- clearance between the string and the actual fret. If you can still depress the string quite a bit, try another turn with the wrench.

This works for me, and I have done this hundreds of times on Ovations. Perhaps someone has a simpler method or one easier to explain.
stellarjim
Posted 2004-02-10 5:52 PM (#195180 - in reply to #195178)

Thanks Paul, you're awesome.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-02-10 6:25 PM (#195181 - in reply to #195178)

You are very welcome. But I will wait to find out if my advice helps before taking the 'awesome' too seriously.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)