The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
deep vs mid and standing

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

noelbon70
Posted 2004-02-13 8:13 AM (#194910)
Subject: deep vs mid and standing

I've played mid and deep legends. Acoustically, I've never heard a mid that held a candle to a deep bowl. And since I compose in the living room, getting a deep bowl was the only option.

Playing live, the deep always feels a bit odd. I actually developed a way of holding the guitar where the biggest bulge in the bowl it just to the right of my own "center" - kind placing that point vertically over about where my pants pocket is. It brings the neck over slightly, which I like. But it still feels a wee bit awkward. The guitar never quite finds "home" on my torso.

I have never played a mid or shallow depth live, or even in a store with one strapped on to see what it feels like.

Is there some consensus about the deep bowl that makes it less desirable for the reasons above? Is that why Ovation only has one model (Al Di) that has the deep bowl anymore? Al plays sitting down. Sitting, the deep is fine for the most part. It can slip away from you a bit if you are not used to it. But I grew to like it over time. But everytime I grab a regular wood guitar - I go "oh yeah" - that's what it's like to have a guitar sit where you put it....

Does anyone play a deep bowl live, and stand, and really like it?

Should I get a mid depth for live?

Any thoughts?

Doug
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2004-02-13 8:29 AM (#194911 - in reply to #194910)
Subject: Re: deep vs mid and standing

I play live with a deep bowl CBalladeer (both sitting and standing) and I do have a bit of a "bowl to belly" issue :rolleyes: . I'd grown (no pun.) to get used to it as I had no other option. When I needed to get a 12-string for gigs, I got a shallow bowl. VERY comfortable to play (in both positions). My next guitar purchase will be a shallow 6 so that I can leave my deep bowl at home for practice.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-13 8:52 AM (#194912 - in reply to #194910)

I once saw Carly Simon play a deep bowl Adamas - in a club in Manhatten of all places.

She didn't have any problems, but.. then again HER bodily proptrusions higher up.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-13 8:55 AM (#194913 - in reply to #194910)

". . then again HER bodily proptrusions higher up . ."

They always were with me! ;)
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-13 9:29 AM (#194914 - in reply to #194910)

Didn't she used to play a Taylor?
cliff
Posted 2004-02-13 9:50 AM (#194915 - in reply to #194910)

yeah, . . James.
John B
Posted 2004-02-13 10:00 AM (#194916 - in reply to #194910)

I have mid depth Baladeer that I play in both positions. I have found that the guitar tends to tilt upward so the my left hand has to stretch around the neck furthur on some chords. It's nothing that I can't work around, but it is an issue. The shallow bowl is really the way to go for live performance. It's super comfortable and less prone to feedback.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)