The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Guitar production peaked? My predictions!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-13 10:19 AM (#194855)
Subject: Guitar production peaked? My predictions!

No particular order here... just some things I've been thinking about.

1. Production advances will make true on demand production for single units possible AND affordable AND timely. Virtual modeling at the dealership will enable bowl, top wood/material/color, bracing, construction type, string type, neck wood, nut, machines, bridge, fingerboard... even the case to be specified - within limits of production standards and quality. We can think in tersm of a 15-20 percent hit in cost over regular production of a similar model, and production times to have delivery as soon as3-4 weeks from date of order.

2. Analog and/or digital optics used to get the sound from string/top to speaker. Might see transducers embedded in nuts, necks, and headstocks - the latter being for feedback elimination.

3. Top materials that are stronger, lighter, better sounding and that allow the musician to vary their properties on the fly as they play. Varying an electrical control on the guitar will allow the the top stiffness and resonance to be changed. Think bio-electrical here (recent invention of electropolymer "muscle" fiber comes to mind here). Temperture and humidity cosiderations are a thing of the past.

4. Ditto #3 for necks.

5. Autotuning - a simple but effective bell/whistle item. The active electronics is extended to the machines which can be driven by a fine-tune routine in the guitars digital processor.

6. Onboard DSP (this might already be something out there... I'm too much a recluse to know for sure). As such, not only can you do the magic of #3 and #4 above, but you can apply all sorts of DSP to the resultant tone, as a further modification thereof.

7. Self healing materials - whereby minor damage can be healed back its former cosmetic and structural state with teh application of electrical input (self healing fiber is already invented BTW).

Ah well... back to work
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-13 10:26 AM (#194856 - in reply to #194855)
Subject: Re: Guitar production peaked? My predictions!

All technology considered there is still nothing like the touch of the Master's Hand.

Anyone remember the episode of "Hee Haw" where Roy Clark played the dime-store plastic guitar like a mandolin? I think it was "Somewhere my Love"?
No-tech, all skill and heart! Seeing the Roy's and Glen's and friends ply their art like they did - I knew I had to play something with strings on it! And don't forget... never buy a used car from someone who's phone number is BR549!
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-13 11:58 AM (#194857 - in reply to #194855)

Don't dis Junior. He's my hero.
Steve
Posted 2004-02-13 12:17 PM (#194858 - in reply to #194855)

i do remember seeing roy clark and glen campbell on the johnny carson 'tonite show'; they played a duet on the same guitar....no lie! roy played rhythm on the low end and glen played a lead in upper end...they've probably got that on video tape somewhere...

steve
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-13 12:21 PM (#194859 - in reply to #194855)

Steve, I remember seeing that. If it's on video, I'd love to find it.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-13 12:38 PM (#194860 - in reply to #194855)

"Don't dis Junior. He's my hero"

No dis here. I meant that with all love and memory. Throw in a little bit of "The Barber" telling about Rindercella and her mugly epstisters! I was young and shows like that made a lasting impression on me how real people can have fun, show talent and don't need to cuss bout it.

POP Quiz - On the Andy Griffith Show Andy sometimes played his guitar. What model was it?
cliff
Posted 2004-02-13 12:44 PM (#194861 - in reply to #194855)

It was a Martin and they just issued a Andy Griffith Signature Model not too long ago.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-13 12:49 PM (#194862 - in reply to #194855)

Bling! Bling!

But how sadly over-comercialized.

For those who dare:D 18 Special

I'm going to go wash my mouse out with soap now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)