The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
how do i store my new ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

claudeb56
Posted 2004-02-13 7:06 PM (#194795)
Subject: how do i store my new ovation

Hi
I just got myself a used ovation Its in mint condition with no surface cracks .I had and ovation before & the face cracked in several places .should it be kept on a guitar stand or left in its case .I hope someone can help me .Also i live in a very cold place but the room i kept it in is always warm & no air blowing on it .Thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-13 7:45 PM (#194796 - in reply to #194795)
Subject: Re: how do i store my new ovation

Welcome to the board! That's an excellant question to ask. I should have asked it years ago before I let my equipment suffer.
In the search utility you can run "humidity" and find some recent strings. the safest place is in the case but that's not where you can enjoy it the most. Many hang theirs on the wall.

You'll also find sage advice from many who think they actually live in the arctic circle.
Norseman - anything to add?
adamas72
Posted 2004-02-13 8:19 PM (#194797 - in reply to #194795)

I want to keep my mando in my grasp all day. At night it goes into it's custom case. Just play it all day or night. Stop long enough to heal your fingers. I would stop, but the dry air of the detail shop keeps my fingers raw. But in the spring, I will have mando fingers. Dig my Ovation's.

BUY BY
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-13 8:28 PM (#194798 - in reply to #194795)

I live in Detroit, which is far enough north to have some concerns....my 1976 Applause has survived its entire life with NO (zilch, nada) cracks...it has stayed in its chipboard case in the corner of the living room for virtually its entire life. No humidifiers, no special treatment.

I'm not being so lackadaisical with the 1981 Glen Campbell 12-string I got from someone in New Jersey via eBay....I'm keeping a Planet Waves humidifier between the 6th and 7th strings while it is in the case, and I am keeping the case in our upstairs spare room (it's warmer upstairs than down in our house), when I am not playing it.

The Planet Waves humidifier is nothing fancy, just a plastic housing with foam that retains water. You fill it with a syringe that is included. It's supposed to be good for 5 to 7 days after you fill it.

I know it's not handy, but I would keep it in its case when you are not playing it. If you have a room that you can keep a humidifier in, then keeping it out would be an option.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Slipkid
Posted 2004-02-14 6:21 AM (#194799 - in reply to #194795)

FOr the past 9 or so years I have kept mine on a stand in the living room. I am alo in the Detroit area. Cold winters & humid summers. I have hot water baseboard heat so the air is not as dry as forced air. No problems and mine is over 30 years old.
I like to see my guitars and have them in reach to play at a whim. And besides..it's an Ovation. I think they are built to be played and enjoyed in the real world. THAT'S why their are so many old ones to be enjoyed!
Brad
John B
Posted 2004-02-14 6:52 AM (#194800 - in reply to #194795)

I normally keep my guitars in their cases when I'm not playing them but that's just me. You may want to invest in a hygrometer to keep an eye on the humidity in the room where the guitar is kept. Generally, around 50% is ideal for guitars (and humans for that matter). My guitar room is in my basement which gets very humid in the summer and bone dry in the winter. I've invested about $200.00 in a humidifier and a de-humidifier, which is a small price to pay for my piece of mind. Kyser and Planet Waves humidifiers work great too, but they only work when the guitar is in the case. Ovations are genarally less sensitive to humidity than an "all wood" guitar and the Korean models with a laminated top are even less sensitive, but "better safe than sorry".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)