The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Endorsement Memories

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Goober
Posted 2004-02-14 7:38 PM (#194706)
Subject: Ovation Endorsement Memories

I don't know if the folks here want to hear this stuff; if not just tell me. But, I remember the time in the early 70's when I helped secure an Ovation endorsement from Gregg Allman on his "Laid Back" tour. To me, this is some funny @#$%!

I was called by Howard Gainer (rep at the time) when he found out that I knew a couple of guys in Gregg's band. So, I set up the meeting for Howard and me to give Gregg the a new A braced Legend....acoustic...the same one Glen is playing on the "Reunion" and "Ernie Ford" albums. And, it did sound great! Howard picks me up in his motor home and we head to Jekyll Island, GA where they are rehearsing.

We get there, and the band is great, including Jaimoe on the drums. We are staying in the house with the band. Cool, right? My best friend's first cousin turns out to be their road manager: the late Twiggs Lyndon! Just look on the back of the "Fillmore East" record. That night, he takes me to pick up "Sweet Connie From Little Rock" at the airport. World famous groupie. Here I am, naive southern kid and he's telling me to get me some. I was so freaked that I hid in back of the car! LOL!

The next day, Howard and I met with Gregg and gave him the Legend....he loved it and asked Howie what else he had. The bottom line, he ended up buying a Pacemaker 12 a/c that he loved even more!

Then, the next day, his wife slammed the door of their pink Caddy on his right arm and couldn't play guitar for quite a while. Endorsement gone sour. :cool:

That's all!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-14 8:38 PM (#194707 - in reply to #194706)
Subject: Re: Ovation Endorsement Memories

Now, Goober, what I want to know is did she INTEND to shut his arm in that car door!!!!!

Keep the stories coming....not boring at all!!!!

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Goober
Posted 2004-02-14 8:42 PM (#194708 - in reply to #194706)

Can you say "loaded?" LOL!!
Bluebird
Posted 2004-02-14 9:38 PM (#194709 - in reply to #194706)

Great to get a good story from the "inside" on occasion...how about your story about when you met Bob Hope! :D

By, the way, Goob, you must have some great "then, during, after and now" pics that you could post.

Wayne
TRboy
Posted 2004-02-14 10:21 PM (#194710 - in reply to #194706)

Hey Goober,
Great story,tell us more and post some "Then" & "Now" pics also! ;) (I guess I can mark Bilbo Baggins off my list 'cause I don't think he knew Bob Hope! :D )

Mike :cool:
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-14 11:22 PM (#194711 - in reply to #194706)

Looks like he got some too, then more than he bargained for....
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-15 8:11 AM (#194712 - in reply to #194706)

She said "That's what you get for groping groupies."

He said: "That's what you get for lovin' me."
Goober
Posted 2004-02-15 8:23 AM (#194713 - in reply to #194706)

I did not touch that skank!! :cool:

Wayne, I haven't broken down and bought scanner yet. But somewhere in storage I do have a ton of pics.

When I have more typing time, I will retell the Bob Hope thing. But, that story really makes me look like a GOOBER!!!
cliff
Posted 2004-02-16 7:44 AM (#194714 - in reply to #194706)

Great story, Goob!!!

1973(I believe it was) was the year that I went to my first full-fledged "Rock Concert". The Gregg Allman Tour at the now-defunct Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ. What a GREAT show!!! Gregg on guitar/organ, Chuck Leavell on piano, Scott Boyer/Tommy Talton("Cowboy"), Jaimoe on drums (and another drummer, I seem to remember), three hot female back-up singers, a five-piece horn section (with Randall Bramlett), and a 24-piece orchestra (keep in mind, the Capitol, did not have a very large stage, by any means. What made it even better was later when I found out that my first concert was recorded into an album, "Gregg Allman Tour - Live" (recorded at Carnegie and the Capitol).
Whatever contribution you might have had in the production of that show Goob, I THANK you for.
It brings many great memories ("Multicolored Lady" being the best). thx!
Goober
Posted 2004-02-16 7:57 AM (#194715 - in reply to #194706)

THAT was the tour! Randall Bramblett and Harold Williams of the horn section are the guys that got Howard and me into the tour rehearsals. I am still close friends with Randall and Harold to this day.

Do you remember if Gregg still had the cast on his arm or not for that show?
cliff
Posted 2004-02-16 8:57 AM (#194716 - in reply to #194706)

T'be honest with you, I didn't really notice it at the show as he spent a majority of the time behind the B3, but I do seem to remember a pic on the album cover of him playing that metal-bodied Fender and it DID look like he had a cast on his lower right arm. I'll have to research that and get back t'ya.
alpep
Posted 2004-02-16 9:14 AM (#194717 - in reply to #194706)

cliff
that would have been a Veleno guitar.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-16 9:21 AM (#194718 - in reply to #194706)

You'd know better than most, Al ;)
Jeff
Posted 2004-02-17 2:46 PM (#194719 - in reply to #194706)

Hey Goober,

I don't mean to go sideways on the topic, but you said something that piqued my curiousity. You said the Legend that Glen Campbell used on the Reunion and Ernie Ford albums is an "A" braced Legend. I thought Legends with the A bracing pattern didn't show up until sometime in the eighties. Was this an early prototype or custom deal, or do I just have my facts wrong?

Always seeking knowledge...

Jeff

P.S. Keep the great stories comin'!
Goober
Posted 2004-02-17 3:05 PM (#194720 - in reply to #194706)

Jeff, I really can't speak of years, as they are mud to me. But, if you look at the photos on the "Reunion" (in studio and out) and Ernie albums, you will see a full-bowled Legend with no transducer. This IS the same guitar that I gave Gregg Allman, according to the O rep at the time. And Gregg's sounded like a really *old* axe! Mellow, with very sweet highs.

Bill McClay, who was then Glen's guitar tech, told me that the Legend A was his choice on several albums, including the two I mentioned above.

That's all I know. Hope that helps.
Jeff
Posted 2004-02-17 3:40 PM (#194721 - in reply to #194706)

Thanks, Goob!

Very interesting. I never knew there was a Legend with an "A" bracing pattern in existance prior to about 1982-83 (not counting the Legend Ltd.). Until I'd read your post, I never would've given it a second thought that the guitar Glen's holding on those two album covers was anything other than an "off-the-rack" Legend. In the words of your cousin Gomer..."Shazayam!"

Jeff

Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)