The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Willie Nelson's Guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2004-02-15 8:20 AM (#194667)
Subject: Willie Nelson's Guitar

I was thinking how the Ovation design would make it more durable and long lasting than any all wood guitar. Then I thought of Willie's. What is it...an old Martin? I have watched the hole in the top grow huge over the years. I can't think of another well known performer that has such a history with the same instrument. Even B.B. King has had Lucielle (spell check) replaced.
Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2004-02-15 8:23 AM (#194668 - in reply to #194667)
Subject: Re: Willie Nelson's Guitar

Willie probasbly does get that award. I can't think of anyone playing the same guitar for longer. Doesn't mean they're not out there, just means I can't think too good.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-02-15 8:32 AM (#194669 - in reply to #194667)

Paul McCartney still plays his Epiphone acoustic that he used on the Ed Sullivan show 40 years ago (he had it on the Grammys last Sunday if you saw it). And, of course, he still plays his Hoffner and Rickenbacher basses.
Goober
Posted 2004-02-15 8:49 AM (#194670 - in reply to #194667)

Willie calls tht guitar "Trigger," and he as been using it since the late '60's. His daughter Lana had Martin and a custom luthier make an *exact* copy of Trigger for him about 20 years ago. I mean, right down to the hole, the dings and the signatures!! I don't think he ever played it. LOL!!
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-15 8:54 AM (#194671 - in reply to #194667)

BB and Lucille: BB likes to tell storys about "Lucille" and "Lucinda" etc etc. BTW, I can tell you that Lucinda is a BB King Lucille model (all the custom work) but in chameleon red/green - a real WOW fininish.

I got talking to BB's road manager (trying to get an autograph... no luck), and asked about "Lucille" vs "Lucinda" that BB had played that nite. He told me that BB gets at one or two guitars a year from Gibson, and retires the old ones after about three years. Its a tax thing, he told me. I'm trying to remember this guys name, but he's part of BB's family - like another of his nephews or something. His bands manager is his nephew, who also blows horn in the band.

BB comes down once a year here (missed his NYE show this year, but got his day-before-NYE show last year, and the year before that). We're lucky to have a very small venue for him - outdoors too. You can literally go to the "fence" and talk to his crew, if so inclined.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-02-15 10:01 AM (#194672 - in reply to #194667)

Speaking of Paul M. the Beatles & Sullivan,...I watched a DVD documentary of the first trip to the U.S.A. All the Sullivan footage was restored and it sounded and looked GREAT! It showed alot of candid moments in the hotel rooms. John was playing one of those little keyboards that you blow into. My bro-in-law and I looked at eachother in amazement. We both recognized the little tune John was playing as the opening to "Strawberry Fields".
I bet tha someday Willie's guitar will be in the Smithsonian...(if they give him a tax break!
:D :D )
BRAD
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)