The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Member Number References

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

MWoody
Posted 2004-02-15 9:32 PM (#194596)
Subject: Member Number References

I see that the latest New Member is Fido at #2211.

Welcome and salutations!

I have to wonder - Who is #1 and so forth?

Any chance on having a reference area with a listing. Maybe even a memorium for those that have left us. Enquiring minds...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-15 9:50 PM (#194597 - in reply to #194596)
Subject: Re: Member Number References

This is another topic that has been discussed. Check the archives while you wait for an answer.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-16 12:09 AM (#194598 - in reply to #194596)

Thanks Paul. You guy's sounded so much younger then.

Found this:

I know that Miles is club member #2, and that Al is #4, and that Bill is #7. Who's #1 & 3?

Paul

Alpep
Miles is also 1 and his better half lisa is 3. When we set the board up in test mode that is how it worked out. then we opened it up to the public no big mystery hope that answers your question.

Mr. O,
The difference in the numbers from 1989 "Registered Members" the latest member number of 1999 is that when someone signs up, a number is assigned, but they may not actually complete the process (by logging in) to become a member. The system doesn't re-use numbers. There were also a few members deleted by request because of new locations, or preference to different ID's etc... So what the Registered Members indicates that 1989 member files actually exist. Obviously not all are active members.
For those that like to play with numbers, here's a few. Many people, like our new friend John up until today just lurk, but over 700 people have posted at least once and there is a "core" group of a little more than 100 people who post often. I think 5% consistant participation is phenominal in this environment. The "standards" used for marketing are usually happy with 1% to 3% participation. Of course just the word "participation" is subjective. Not only are there all the lurkers who have registered and just hang out for the entertainment and information, but there are 100's of people on a monthly basis that visit the site, hang out and read the forums, and never even register. These lurkers are all "participating" we just don't know them.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-02-16 12:22 AM (#194599 - in reply to #194596)

It's not the quickest thing in the world, but you can search by member number and make your own list. Dave
Nils
Posted 2004-02-16 1:01 AM (#194600 - in reply to #194596)

Originally posted by MWoody:

I have to wonder - Who is #1 and so forth?

That reminds me of that old sci-fi TV show about the guy stuck on the island. (The Prisoner?) Didn't they keep asking him who was #1? Every time he'd try to get away that big bubble would chase him down...
Weird show.

/\/\/
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-16 3:34 AM (#194601 - in reply to #194596)

Great series. A trivia snippet, the villiage where The Prisoner was filmed wasn't a film set, it was a real village called Portmeirion in North Wales. Some guy with way too much money started building it in the 1920's as a Mediteranean-style village and kept adding to it until he died in the 70's. It's quite a popular tourist atttraction, especially among fans of the show.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-16 8:27 AM (#194602 - in reply to #194596)

Paul;
Have you ever been to the castle in Scotland where they filmed all the "castle" scenes for ". . the Holy Grail"?
TRboy
Posted 2004-02-16 8:53 AM (#194603 - in reply to #194596)

Perhaps Al or Miles can answer this....Did this board originaly start out as "Ovation Owners Online" accessed via the Ovation website? It seems I remember Ovation would "offer" free weekend(?) access for a limited time where you could browse the reference section on serial # or collector series, etc much like what we've got here! Didn't they also use to have a chat room?
Is this where the member's numbering system started?

Mike :confused: :cool:
alpep
Posted 2004-02-16 9:23 AM (#194604 - in reply to #194596)

This website started as the result of a long drive to the Ohio guitar show and a bunch of phone calls and e mails about what we would like to do and how we would like to go about it.

We are not affiliated with KMC in any way except that we like their products. (and not always all of them)

I know nothing about the Ovation Owners on line. Miles knows more he was a member and still bitches to this day about not getting his "history of ovation book"

We have a chatroom here. I will reserve my comments on the software.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-16 9:39 AM (#194605 - in reply to #194596)

Cliff, no I haven't been to the "Holy Grail" castle, but the castle in the Harry Potter movies is about 30 miles away from me.
TRboy
Posted 2004-02-16 9:43 AM (#194606 - in reply to #194596)

Chatroom? We've got a Chatroom? :eek:

Mike :D
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-16 9:48 AM (#194607 - in reply to #194596)

Ovation Instruments, on their webpage about 9 years ago, started putting together the Ovaton Owner's thing. I kept watching it, but it never went anywhere.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-16 11:10 AM (#194608 - in reply to #194596)

NILS,
Please allow me to quote Bradley from April 30, 2002

"Who is Number One?????
You are Number Six!!!!!

I am NOT a number, I am a FREE MAN

bwahahahahahahahahahahahaaha"
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-16 5:20 PM (#194609 - in reply to #194596)

Al pretty much nailed it. Not sure who's mouth the words came from first, but we just started talking about doing a website. I was a member of the original "Ovation Owners Club" which didn't seem to work out for some reason. There was a $50.00 membership and you got a Book, keychain, calling card and a certificate. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, but a little pricey for the day.

We do have chat software in the members section. It's something I wrote and works pretty good if you have a good connection. We have weekly meetings with my motorcycle club and routinely have 15-30 people in the "room" at any time. If it were to be used more, I would suggest getting a chat service or just using AOL's chatrooms, but the need at this time doesn't justify the cost for a software service.

I guess this and the rest of "the history" is in the threads. Seek, searcha and enjoy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)