The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1528 - noisy output (distortion). Anyone know the pickup and preamp models?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

gazzamit
Posted 2008-11-06 3:58 PM (#13146)
Subject: 1528 - noisy output (distortion). Anyone know the pickup and preamp models?

Hi,

I have a 1528 and its started to produce a 'click' sound - vaguely similar to flicking fingernails - every time that I hit the strings to produce a percussive slap (typical regular beat style to keep rhythm going). Can also get this if I play it hard. It’s a new sound that obviously wasn't there before.

Also will occasionally produce a kinda weird distortion (sound similar to input distortion on a desk if you know what that is). Kinda fuzzy and very obvious. This is a lot worse if I hit the body of the guitar hard and then play, but will also come on all by itself as well occasionally.

I thought it was the pickup, but a test with another generic pickup produces the same results, so it’s probably the preamp.

Anyone had this kinda problem with an ovation? Any solutions? The guitar is about 15 years old and well used, but has never let me down before.

Also, could anyone let me now the actual pickup model or who made them, and also the preamp.

Preamp is high, mid, low, vol, bat test and that’s it. Maybe called a K-graphic.

Regards,

Gary.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2008-11-06 5:17 PM (#13147 - in reply to #13146)
Subject: Re: 1528 - noisy output (distortion). Anyone know the pickup and preamp models?

Welcome to the OFC, Gary!

Got a picture of the preamp? That would go a long way in identifying it.

How did you test the other pickup? Plug it into the preamp?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-06 7:48 PM (#13148 - in reply to #13146)
Subject: Re: 1528 - noisy output (distortion). Anyone know the pickup and preamp models?

I know that I read something about "clipping" once in regard to amps. Maybe it's the amp. Don't bother thanking me for sharing my technical expertise.
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-11-06 7:50 PM (#13149 - in reply to #13146)

May be just a weak battery. Sounds like an OP24.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-07 12:51 PM (#13150 - in reply to #13146)

TJ is right, first thing to do is change the battery. If the battery output drops below 6volts you'll get problems like you describe. If a new battery doesn't fix it it's probably down to component failure in the preamp.
gazzamit
Posted 2008-11-09 12:19 PM (#13151 - in reply to #13146)

Its not the battery. I tried a few new other ones.

It was tested with a sh066 shadow pickup into the preamp, but produces the same results. I think the guitar repair man ordered the wrong pickup though, as it does not fit in bridge slot (loose at front and back). Bit of research shows that they make a sh066-9 for Ovation guitars as a replacement, and thats been ordered now.

I think that’s its very likely the preamp thats failed.

From this site (http://www.ovationtribute.com/Pr%E9-amplis/Ovation%20Preamps.html) I have identified its as a 'K-Graphic', though thats not of a lot of help as I cant find out any info about it anywhere.

I think that the preamp needs repairing.
So annoying, as the guy in the guitar repair shop has dismantled the original pickup, so the original pickup is not an option anymore, and I gonna have to have a replacement pickup now! Hence the ordering of the SH066-9 which will hopefully fit OK, and sound good!

So as far as preamp repair goes - what is a likely component that could have failed? I can order components and resolder no problem. The preamp has the usual collection of electrolytics, transistors and resistors etc.

Probably need to trace out the circuit diagram and try to troubleshoot as best I can (not sure if guitar repair man can sort it out). I can repair stuff but am not a real techie as such, so would probably have to resort to component replace, test, replace, test etc...

I will keep you updated with progress.

Regards,
Gary.
FlySig
Posted 2008-11-09 2:10 PM (#13152 - in reply to #13146)

First guess is capacitors if it is a failed component. However, my experience is that mechanical problems are quite common when electronics fail, so check all the solder joints carefully. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could reheat each solder joint to be sure that it is fresh without corrosion hiding inside. Wires to the battery clip, connections to potentiometers, and anything else that looks like it could be subject to mechanical stresses is a good place to look.

One way to trouble shoot is to probe the preamp. Buy or make a sharp pointed probe, attached to a regular guitar cable. Be creative using j-clips or alligator clips. You want to clip the ground of the guitar cable to the ground of the preamp. Plug the cable into a guitar amp, turned to low volume. Then, probe where the pickup plugs in and strum. You should hear the signal from the pickup going into the guitar amp just fine. Next, probe on the other side of the first component. Maybe it's a resistor. There should be some sound on the other side. Follow the signal through the preamp until there is no sound. That tells you which component is bad. Be sure not to hit a power rail on the circuit board or you'll blow out your amp, so if you aren't sure about working with circuits, don't follow this idea!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)