The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1612, well kinda', help

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

kevin holmes
Posted 2004-02-17 7:03 AM (#194502)
Subject: 1612, well kinda', help

I recentlt bought a 1612 on ebay. Serial number 211022, made in 1982. Now this guitar has had some transplant work done. It has a new spruce top from Martin and a new fretboard, ebony wioth some abalone inlay. It came in a big old brown case that has seen some road miles. Work was done by a guitar vuilder upstate NY. Lokks OK. Plays OK. Electronics are dead I think. I don't know how to get to a battery to change it? Neck is straight. Action seems a bit high. I called the factory and I can bring it to them to have it checked out.

I play, but not a lot. A strummer. I try. I like to play. I just want to know if this thing will hold up. If what was done is OK. I don't know what the factory will do.

I have a new AE 48, Applauise that I bought recently and have had an old 1111 that I had in an old fender crdboard case for years. I gave that one to my son who plays much more than I. He loves it and it still sounds great.

If you could just give me a little guidance here I would appreciate it.

Thanks

1980's Ovation Ballader Project Guitar Decent Item number: 2373129933
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2004-02-17 8:17 AM (#194503 - in reply to #194502)
Subject: Re: 1612, well kinda', help

An Ovation body (bowl) with a Martin top is really rare. The best of both worlds. I bet this guitar must sound great. Congratulations on owning it. Dave

PS - If you could post some pictures in the Members Gallery, we could all enjoy it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-17 8:22 AM (#194504 - in reply to #194502)

Looking at this guitar from the auction, it appears that somebody did do something to the fretboard, either enhancing the inlays and changing the fretboard altogether. My guess would be the former. As for Martin putting a new top on it, gotta think it unlikely. It looks like a fine guitar though, and if it plays well and sounds, good, then who cares. The price was dirt cheap.
Nils
Posted 2004-02-17 9:53 AM (#194505 - in reply to #194502)

I have a 1612. If the battery is dead it will not make a sound plugged in. To change batteries: Loosten the strings, especially the top three so you can get your hand inside. There should be a screw head showing on the bowl when you look at the "top" of the guitar while you're holding it in playing position. Reach inside the guitar through the soundhole to reach the battery holder. Turn the screw a quarter turn counter clockwise (anti clockwise if you're in the UK)to release the battery. Take it out, replace the battery & reverse the operation to re-install. If the neck is straight but the action is high, pull a shim out from under the saddle. If it's still high loosten the strings again & tighten the truss rod nut a quarter turn & try it. 1612's are tough as nails & can be adjusted to play terrific, I really like mine.

/\/\/

P.S. Just noticed this was your first post. Welcome to the board Kevin! :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)