The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Neck reset cost?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

bsman
Posted 2004-02-17 11:17 AM (#194489)
Subject: Neck reset cost?

I have an older (probably late '80s, bought it used) CC257 Celebrity Deluxe that I used to enjoy. However, over the past year, the neck has begun to separate from the body (there is a definite gap between the bowl and the heel) and the action is now WAY high - no reasonable truss rod/shim adjustment is going to fix this. What I want to know is:

1. Is this a known/common problem?
2. How much should I expect to have to pay to fix it?
3. Anybody know any SF Bay Area Luthiers who work on or specialize in Ovations?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-02-17 11:49 AM (#194490 - in reply to #194489)
Subject: Re: Neck reset cost?

Not sure what to do with celebrities. You can call the service department but I really am not sure if they are setup to repair them
ask for John obudny r Kim keller
Standingovation
Posted 2004-02-17 12:03 PM (#194491 - in reply to #194489)

Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, but I can tell my sad Celeb Mando story. The good news is that in the end you'll get rid of the Celeb and buy an Ovation. Ovation service department does not work on Celeb's. They'll refer you to the Kaman Service Department (which is different than the Ovation service department). I tried for FOUR FREAKING WEEKS to contact the person at Kaman Service. I won't mention the lady's name in case she is still working there, but I got mightly sick of her voice mail. So I gave up on Kaman and went to a local guy who charged me $150. for a neck reset on the mando and it's NO better than it was. Basically the whole top of the mando is sinking and nothing will save it. So I'm in the process of trying to sell/trade up for an Ovation mando. Lesson learned? Ovation service is the BEST in the industry, but Celeb/Kaman service is non-existent. Good luck with a local guy. Hopefully you end up satisfied - or end up owning an Ovation. Dave
bsman
Posted 2004-02-17 1:13 PM (#194492 - in reply to #194489)

Thanks, guys! That's what I was afraid of.. :(

Oh well, it was a great guitar and gave me a lot of fun for the last seven or eight years - not bad for $299!

On the other hand...now I'll be in the market for a new AE - and right at tax time! ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)