The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
For Those Who Are Interested In Things Dobro

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-02-18 2:20 PM (#194394)
Subject: For Those Who Are Interested In Things Dobro

I noticed that the PBS T.V. Show "Mountain Stage" has Jerry Douglas on this Saturday night (at least here in So. Calif. [KVCR])....

His isn't an Ovation, but who cares! however, didn't I see an Ovation "Dobro" on Al's website?

tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Goober
Posted 2004-02-18 2:31 PM (#194395 - in reply to #194394)
Subject: Re: For Those Who Are Interested In Things Dobro

I did a couple of albums for Disney with Larry Groce, moons ago. I'm glad he found his niche with this show. Back then anyway, he was a really nice guy and a real pro.

And Jerry.....the man is a freak!...in a good way, of course.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-02-18 2:35 PM (#194396 - in reply to #194394)

I really love the show! I'm glad that PBS picked it up... no commercials!

For those who don't know, here is their website:

www.mountainstage.org

I even saw an Elite when Jeannie Kendall played the show (I posted that last week)...

tim
Beal
Posted 2004-02-18 3:18 PM (#194397 - in reply to #194394)

Yes there is one spyder type dobro and aLeX has it. The factory also made 2 style O guitars and they're still at the factory. This isn't something Ovation needs to do.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-18 3:33 PM (#194398 - in reply to #194394)

I wouldn't mind having that teal-coloured one I saw at the factory, tho!
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-02-18 3:37 PM (#194399 - in reply to #194394)

When I went to Matt Smith's Chop Shop he played a modified Ovation guitar lap steel style. I want to say the only modification was to raise the bridge and nut - here's a picture I took, but it's hard to tell about the modification. He played this "Hawaiian steel" type song on it.

Unfortunatley we don't get "Mountain Stage" here in N. Texas.....

cliff
Posted 2004-02-18 4:04 PM (#194400 - in reply to #194394)

Speakin' of dobros:

I've got this Chinese-made dobro that I bought from Al that I've been (a-hem!) "practicing" on (i.e: testing how much my girlfriend REALLY loves me :-). (btw Cwk2, that link that you sent me for Brozman's webpage was a BIG help, THX!!)

Anyway, when I replaced the BeijingBronze strings that came with the guitar, I "shimmed up" the nut with two strips cut from a defunct ATM card. "Jacking it up" facilitated my lame-ass slide attempts greatly, but I've noticed something else. The notes on the "other side" of the slide (between the slide and the nut) have become more prevalant than they were before. It's not bad, but it's noticeably different than the way it was before. Any suggestions on how alleviate this? Perhaps a different "shim" material? Did I shim it too much?

Also, does anyone know of an inexpensive clip-on mic or stick-on pick up that I could use on this thing? I don't want anything too extravagant/expensive as it's just a $100 guitar that'll be used by my partner on one or two songs at an occasional gig. We usually just mic it with his vocal mic, but I was just looking for something to supplement that a little.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-02-18 4:16 PM (#194401 - in reply to #194394)

Paul,

Can you receive Dallas or Waco stations? The www.mountainstage.org website lists those as stations that carry the program....

tim
cliff
Posted 2004-02-18 4:22 PM (#194402 - in reply to #194394)

Wag;
If you can listen online, there's a local NY station here (WFUV-FM) that broadcasts live over the Internet. They broadcast The Mountain Stage every Friday afternoon (@2p.m. - "my time").
alpep
Posted 2004-02-18 4:22 PM (#194403 - in reply to #194394)

cliff
I think fishman makes a dobro pickup that attaches to the bottom of the spider. If you really want one let me know I have an experimental dobro I am messing with now and may want to try one myself.
ps they aren't cheap
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-02-18 4:45 PM (#194404 - in reply to #194394)

The station they list WAS KDTN (2)out of Denton, it was the sister station to KERA (13) in D/FW - but they closed down the KDTN operation not to long ago, we did get it through cable...

I'l try to catch it on-line if I can!

Thanks
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-18 6:38 PM (#194405 - in reply to #194394)

Cliff, you need to make sure you damp the strings behind your slide or tonebar, just lay your fingers gently on the strings behind the slide & that should cure all the unpleasantness. Though sometimes the extra resonance from behind the slide can be a good thing, if you know how to control it.

I've tried a bunch of reso pickups. The Highlander Magnaphonic is great for Tricones. They also do a piezo cable inlaid into a biscuit bridge but I find it sounds too much like a regular guitar. Fishman make a spider-cone pickup which I think attaches to the bolt which goes through the centre of the cone/spider assembly, they sound great.
I've had success with resonator guitars using the old musical greeting card trick. De-solder & flip over the wires on a cheap greeting card piezo disc, put it through a good preamp & you have a reso pickup for less than 5 bucks. The renowned McIntyre Dobro pickup is just a cheap piezo disc. I have a squareneck Dobro with a couple of these "greeting card" pickups & it works fine via a Baggs Para-acoustic DI.
Beal
Posted 2004-02-18 7:14 PM (#194406 - in reply to #194394)

what Paul said, damp it wif yo han wif da slide on da pinky.
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-20 3:05 AM (#194407 - in reply to #194394)

I just want to remind all of you that the Dobro was an amplification system to bring that instrument to the forefront. You don't need another amplification systems, just a good mike. Any good (or bad) Dobro, is like a banjo, it will blow away any other acoustic instrument. The whole idea of ampliphonic was to make an acoustic instrument LOUD LOUD. Just mike the beast, don't try to improve on it or some of the resonance will be gone. I remember talking to my bluegrass fiddle playing brother in Ohio just before he died and he mentioned that he and Jerry Douglass's dad were great friends and played the same venues, Jerry's a Buckeye just like the rest of us from Warren, Ohio.

Bailey
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-20 3:49 AM (#194408 - in reply to #194394)

Bailey, you are being a Bluegrass fascist again. At concert FOH & monitor levels a microphone can present the same problems for Dobro as it does for regular guitar despite the Dobro's slight increase in volume. (biscuit cone resonator guitars are generally louder than spider-cones) The vast majority of "name" Dobro players perform using pickups or a combination of pickup & microphone. I would aggree that a microphone is always the way to go for recording, but most Dobro players including the likes of Jerry Douglas, Cindy Cashdollar, Al Perkins, Sally Van Meter & Mike Auldridge are prepared to accept the inferior tone of a pickup compared to a mike for live performance because of the convenience & vasty improved feedback threshold, just like we all do with our Ovation pickups.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-02-20 7:18 AM (#194409 - in reply to #194394)

The last time I saw Jerry play with Union Station on CMT, he was plugged in...

tim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)