The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OFC TOUR!!! I'LL BE THERE!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-02-18 7:23 PM (#194344)
Subject: OFC TOUR!!! I'LL BE THERE!

I DID IT!!! I signed up for the convention and tour!!! Looking forward to seeing where my favorite guitars are made! Tell me, gang... do you check your O's for the flight, or carry on? AND ... if you check your guitar, do you losten the tuning to relieve stress on the neck?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-18 7:38 PM (#194345 - in reply to #194344)
Subject: Re: OFC TOUR!!! I'LL BE THERE!

NEVER check a guitar, It's baggage handlers & carousels which cause the damage, at the very worst have it hand-loaded & returned to you from the jet-way. With the notable exception of triple-7's the majority of aircraft, even on domestic flights have overhead bins big enough for an Ovation case, those that don't should have closet space. There is no reason other than stowage space why you should be refused a musical instrument as carry-on baggage. I've made six or seven transatlantic flights in the last 18 months, every time with guitars, and without having to check them. I checked an empty Ovation case on the way to Nashville in August & the airline wrecked it.
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-02-18 7:53 PM (#194346 - in reply to #194344)

Thanks for the info!

:)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-18 9:59 PM (#194347 - in reply to #194344)

I asked Eric Bloom of Blue Oyster Cult how him Donald, Danny and Allen get the guitars from gig to gig. They ALWAYS check them, but they are in flight cases, basically packed as if they were being shipped. They have been refused too many times on domestic flights since 9/11 to risk trying to bring them onboard, especially in winter. They are a little more lenient on overseas flights as generally people have more stuff anyway.

Having said this, I have seen soft cases brought into the cabin, because they just look smaller and easily fit in the coat area of some planes.

If you are really concerned, just send it overnight UPS to the Hotel, put your name and the word GUEST. Call the hotel and let them know it's coming and they will put it in your room for you. I have done this often with everything from guitars and amps to laptops and motorcycle riding gear.

FYI... this is an edit..

I just verified with an instructer of the security folks for airports who is friend of mine that it's not the "size" of a guitar that is the problem. It's the strings. They are considered weapons. We got a good laugh that it depends on who plays them, but that is the reason nonetheless. Some places WILL let it slide, but they were trained to NOT allow guitars onboard. Ultimately it is up to them to evaluatte the risk and allow them or not.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-02-18 10:23 PM (#194348 - in reply to #194344)

So am I the only one who wants to bring his guitar, or will other people bring theirs?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-18 10:29 PM (#194349 - in reply to #194344)

I think a lot of people are going to bring their guitars. My problem is that I'm trying to buy a guitar from somebody back east and I don't want to have to bring home two guitars. One of life's more interesting problems.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-18 11:14 PM (#194350 - in reply to #194344)

Congrats and best wishes to all of you making the mecca to Connecticut. Especially if you'll be carrying two guitars! While you're there plant the idea of them setting up another factory (to meet the newly found demand) over here on the Left Coast. Hopefully up in the Top Left Corner.

Enjoy each others company and bring back a bowl full of secrets, stories and pictures to post.

And with a slight change of subject - Where are the Lyrachord bowls made? At the same plant or are they brought in? Look for an LX deep bowl mold in there somewhere :D
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-19 3:44 AM (#194351 - in reply to #194344)

http://www.local1000.com/pdf/carryon.pdf

Not sure how much weight this would actually carry at the gate, but it's a step in the right direction.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-19 5:52 AM (#194352 - in reply to #194344)

Mike, I believe the bowls are made by the Zehrco Corp. in Ohio, unless they have been resourced. But supposedly all bowls for Ovation/Applause/Adamas guitars are made at one place in the U.S. and shipped to the factories at New Hartford and Korea. So Celebrities do have some U.S. content.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-19 6:44 AM (#194353 - in reply to #194344)

I like that document from travel, although it doesn't call out guitars, it may work. I think a sax, flute, clarinet or drumsticks make a better weapon... but I digress. As it is finally up to the flight attendants (actually the capt) anyway... I guess the best advise is to pack the guitar like it was being shipped by making sure it's snug in its case, headstock wrapped etc.. tune it down a step, and it's at least an Ovation case or a flight case.

I'd hate to be in a position to get all the way to the plane, and they say "Sorry, that's not coming on" and it not be ready to be checked.

Here's a little story from a couple of weeks ago.
Lisa and I went to Florida. Coming home, to avoid the extra weight charge incurred on the trip down, we each put one of our dive weights into our carry on. 5 pounds each. They are little solid squares of lead for those that don't dive. Actually hers is a little square of lead, mine is a little bag of lead shot. Both items of course triggeres the x-ray because you can't see through them. Her inspector asked a supervisor and we ended up donating that one. I asked why mine could go through and my inspector said "because I'm not going to ask the supervisor." In reality, my soft weight could contain just about ANY substance just covered in lead and unless ripped open, there would be no way to tell. The other is obviously a small hunk of lead. Of course 4 dive computers, a gps, and a bag full of other odd electronix gadgets that I am sure they had no clue what they were all passed.

The point I guess is just be prepared. If you do end up checking it, insure you have some of the really long tie-wraps to put on it, to insure it stays shut. They may have to replace them when they inspect it as they do now in many cases, and they seem to take care. So far in the past few months I have travelled a few times and each time have always found a little love letter in my baggage from the inspectors saying "hi, we were here, sorry to bother your stuff." (more formal of course).

Again, as with the shipping topic, we get overzealous when it comes to shipping our babies. One time many years ago, my Ovation case was used as a base to cut something as there was a saw cut in the case. Didn't get to the guitar, and they repaired the case professionally (which probably cost more than a new case). On another occastion, on a puddle jumper flight in Texas, due to weather NO LUGGAGE was coming on the plane. Well the pilot saw me and my guitar he announced himself as a fellow picker and said my guitar was going to be the only piece of luggage on the plane cause it was so lite. Well that was a nice gesture, except picture the look on my face at takeoff in the 32 passenger plane as we lift off the ground and I hear my lonely guitar case slide from the front of the empty cargo bay under my feet, to the rear of the plane where it stopped with a thud. When I arrived and collected the guitar, I opened the case and yep, I even forgot to detune it. It was still in tune and 20 years later it still plays fine.

Guitars are shipped around the world everyday in the harshest of conditions. Most of them survive fine and that's just their first trip to the store. These instruments are a lot tougher than we give credit, and Ovation's are the toughest.

Again... just be prepared... and if bringing yours stresses you out too much... Just call Alpep and order a new guitar to pick up at the tour. After the tour, just ship it home.

Problem solved, and another GAS attack is avoided with prevention.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-02-19 7:44 AM (#194354 - in reply to #194344)

Guitar strings as weapons.... yep.. especially the ones with the little metal rings on the bridge ends.... just loop the plain end around and through the ring and you have a perfect garrote... quite deadly... but I would think it would cause some suspicion if someone got up, opened his HSC unstrung an E-string and started looping it...

An easier way would be to unobtrusivley remove that litle woven steel cable in my "belly bag" strap... it is designed to prevent "cut'n grab" thefts.... but, mine has always passed the inspection points..... go figure
tim
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-19 10:00 AM (#194355 - in reply to #194344)

In 9 cases out of 10 it's not the weapon that makes somebody dangerous, it's the person that makes the weapon dangerous.

Years ago I was trying to get into the L.A. courthouse during the OJ trial. I was turned away because of a 1 inch Dodger penknife on my keychain. But I know people who could kill you before you blink with the folder I was holding in my hand (not me, I'm cowardly at heart). Go figure.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-19 10:19 AM (#194356 - in reply to #194344)

Miles made mention of the long tie-wraps.
A few years ago, they were the weapon-of-choice for some gangland "hit"s here in NY. Most memorable was the poor schmuck who's "time" it was, that was standing in the crowd watching the Columbus Day Parade. Somebody came up from behind him with a big, pre-looped "zip-tie". Slipped it over the guy's head, gave one real good "yank", and bolted.
By the time anyone in the crowd knew (or "cared") what happened and got it off him, it was too late.
Pretty scary (but shrewd).
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-19 10:22 AM (#194357 - in reply to #194344)

No reality checks. I used to carry a 1920's vintage Office knife. One inch long, mother of pearl and useful until it became a weapon of mass destruction. You can still get in with a box of sharpened #2 pencils though.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-19 11:16 AM (#194358 - in reply to #194344)

Good point about the long tie-wraps. I use little twisty ties on my bags, and I used to just use duct-tape (the Handyman's tool of choice) for the guitar case. I didn't figure people wanted to hear the later so I thought "long ties.".... but what would you "lock" the case with today. I guess those nylon suitcase belts would work.

Speaking of sillyness, or rather common sence because security is not silly... The whole idea of the inspections in the terminals is a deterent. They don't really expect to catch a bad-guy... but the bad-guys (or gals) are less likely to attempt bringing something aboard if there is a good chance they will be caught. Similar to the "Beware of Dog" concept. If a burgular has a choice of the house that is quiet and dark and unattented, or the house that has a "beware" sign..... they are going to try the one without the "beware" sign first.. usually.

As far as weapons.. lets face it. Those bagels and biscuits on some flights can do serious damamge.

My favorite video to watch on my laptop as we take off is "Learning To Fly" by the Foo Fighters. Gets me right in the mood.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-02-20 10:58 PM (#194359 - in reply to #194344)

So how should I "pack my guitar as if I were shipping it?" I assume put bubble wrap at the headstock? And, of course, tieing it shut. :cool:
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-20 11:40 PM (#194360 - in reply to #194344)

If the case fits properly, that's all I would do. The only reason for the bubblewrap that I know if it because in most cased the headstock can move a little. You don't want it so tight that a bump to the case breaks off the headstock. You just want it snug and fit. I would detune 1 step just to release some pressure, but I would not "loosen the strings" as I have heard. I'm sure other have opinions on this too. There are no guarantees, but we do play some of the sturdiest guitars in the biz and the Ovation cases are really good too.
Nils
Posted 2004-02-26 2:56 AM (#194361 - in reply to #194344)

"I just verified with an instructer of the security folks for airports who is friend of mine that it's not the "size" of a guitar that is the problem. It's the strings. They are considered weapons. We got a good laugh that it depends on who plays them, but that is the reason nonetheless. Some places WILL let it slide, but they were trained to NOT allow guitars onboard. Ultimately it is up to them to evaluatte the risk and allow them or not. Miles"

I'm really glad someone in security is on the ball enough to think of that. I mentioned guitar strings being used as weapons on airplanes in a thread quite a while back. At least it shows that they are trying. I still think it's impossible to thwart a terrorist intent on making an in-flight weapon. It's just too easy. I can't seem to find my original post at the moment.
I had a thought, what if we offered to unstring the guitar on the spot & let them throw the strings away? I imagine they should all be loostened anyway. Do you suppose they'd be fairly likely to let us aboard with a guitar then? I could toss a fresh set of Elixirs in my checked baggage just in case. No big hassle & worth a set of strings if it would allow us on board with our clubs.... err guitars :) Even if the bowl gave out I'll bet you could beat the crap outa somebody with one of these 5 piece necks, especially with no strings gettin' in the way. heheheh :)
Since I suddenly now may (or may not) be able to attend the tour I'm A LOT more interested in carrying a guitar on an airplane. I've been saving my money to pay for the wiring in the shop I'm trying to get built, if they turn me down for the building permit I may be able to cover the trip for my wife & I with that money & some good luck.
If I can't have my shop, maybe I CAN go to the OFC Tour! That will take a lot of the sting out of being turned down for a permit. I really need this shop. But I sure would love to go on the tour. But I need a shop. But dammit I need a vacation too & what a vacation!
I could meet a bunch of you folks & go somewhere I've never been. The farthest east I've been is Sturgess So Dak. My wife & I rode our old '80 shovelhead there & back in '91. To me that was the Far East & Sturgess ain't halfway to Conneticutt! Major adventure!

/\/\/
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-26 4:18 AM (#194362 - in reply to #194344)

We'd love to have you, and as far as bringing the guitar goes... I'd still plan on checking it and pack it as such. The machine alarms with a desciption, the folks watching are supposed to decide what to do and have common sence. How many people have you met lately, in service positions, with common sence.
Nils
Posted 2004-02-27 1:50 AM (#194363 - in reply to #194344)

We got the shaft at the city planning meeting. To hell with building a shop in this town. It's not worth the trouble. We'll move to the country asap, rent this house out along with the other two & put great big FOR SALE signs on that vacant lot to match the ones on the rest of the lots along there. Only ours will be BIG. Real BIG.
On the bright side- since I no longer need the money I've been rat-holing that was intended for wiring part of a shop, (since there ain't gunna be one), I can use the money to come to the tour! That is if my wife can get hew work schedule figured out. That's the time of month when payroll is due & she does the payroll for the entire county. I told her it was time for her #2 lady to do it once. What's the worst that could happen? :)
Hopefully we'll know by tomorrow evening. We'd LOVE to get out of here for a few days!
Btw, Paul T., I played that Tulane MP3 for Kathie a while ago. You have another fan. She's pretty excited about meeting you & hearing you play. (So am I, actually :) )
Assuming this works out I think maybe I'll mail my 1612 to the hotel via whatever Tony used to ship my 2002 to me. That only took 3 days & it wasn't expensive. I'd rather spend $60 on shipping both ways than let some baggage dehandler get it. At least if I mail it I can pack the hell out of it myself & plan to use the same packing for the return trip.
I sure am hoping to come to the tour! I would be really upset right now if I didn't have this trip to look forward to!

Hopefully,

Nils
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-27 2:14 AM (#194364 - in reply to #194344)

Here's a little country story that might give you guys something to think about. Tom T Hall was met by some other country star in an airport Tom carrying nothing but a small overnight bag while the "star" was saddled with various guitar cases and accessory bags. He/she asked Tom T where his instruments were and Ole Tom said something that has reverbrated in my head ever since. He said, every where I go I'm surrounded by people with great guitars they WANT me to try out, I just pick the best, tune it up, play the gig and move on. The next town has just as good guitars as the last, hell, salesmen are shipping them to the dealers every day.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-27 9:30 AM (#194365 - in reply to #194344)

Good story Bailey. The only guitar I'm bringing is a Country Artist on which I'm upgrading the pre amp. I figure that if I play in the jam, I'll just borrow something. Everybody's bringing great guitars and playing those can only make me sound better.
Nils
Posted 2004-02-27 9:41 AM (#194366 - in reply to #194344)

By tonight I'll know *for sure* if I can attend.

Tony Calman has generously offered to let me use one of his 12 strings that is already at the factory being repaired. I can use it, then give it back to Kim for return shipping to San Diego.
Thanks Tony! Guitar shipping problem solved!

/\/\/
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-02-27 11:10 AM (#194367 - in reply to #194344)

Nils, Kim has been very kind. They will have the black 6759 Custom Legend 12-str ready for you. No, you do not get to take it back to Oregon as a door prize. Kim, thanks!
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-02-27 1:52 PM (#194368 - in reply to #194344)

Nils: If you want to move to the great country of Texas and set up shop in Converse, I can help you out with permits, etc.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)