The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
ovation top surface texture

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

d'ovation
Posted 2004-02-19 8:57 AM (#194330)
Subject: ovation top surface texture

I have purchased a 12-string balladeer on ebay, probably built in 2001 according to the serial#. Its top is not perfectly flat, but has a slight arching/rippling behind the bridge. Is this common? Or should I be concerned about unsound bracing and other issues?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d'ovation
Posted 2004-02-21 11:10 AM (#194331 - in reply to #194330)
Subject: Re: ovation top surface texture

:confused:

I would appreciate a reply.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-21 11:19 AM (#194332 - in reply to #194330)

Flat top guitars are not actually flat. They all arch a little. This is accounted for in manufacturing. Some slight ripple is normal too - and as you noted - especially behind the bridge. Thats where all the tension is! If you think of a bridge and the way the strings pull on it - the back wants to come up, and the front wants to push down. Expect that sort of stress to be evident in the top. Thats exactly why they're braced!

If you're really concerned, stick a small mirror down there and get your flashlight... and examine the bracing. Look for cracks in the braces, wood pulled off the underside of the top, braces detached from the top... that sort of thing.

Most likely though (on the Ovations I've seen - limited to be sure...) the bridge is more likely to lift if the guitar has been abused with heat. I'd tend to think that the bracing is ok if the bridge is not lifting... but checking is free to those with a mirror, flashlite and the time to mess with it... so bust a gut.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-21 11:55 AM (#194333 - in reply to #194330)

I think your guitar is falling apart. Send it to me and I'll test it for about 6 months and make certain it's ok.

Seriously, do what was posted above, but I suspect that your guitar is just fine.
Nils
Posted 2004-02-21 4:32 PM (#194334 - in reply to #194330)

Agree with all above. It's normal. I have a 2003 Elite 12 I bought new that is exactly like you describe. There's has to be a lot of pressure on that top so the strings go boing instead of thud. :)

/\/\/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)