The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Preamp foibles... and my email to Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-19 10:51 PM (#194206)
Subject: Preamp foibles... and my email to Ovation

Well, this is super nit picky. And, it doesn't "really" dereact from the operation of the preamp, but, I think there's some room for cheap improvement (at least in the OP-50).

Here's part of what I sent to Ovation -

'....My only complaint, though, is the preamp. Not to worry, it works fine, its just that I think it could use some refinement in the "user interface".

For one thing - all the tuning LEDS are the same color, and there is no accentuated text for the standard string tunings. I think most players, who use alternate tunings, think in terms of deviation from standard tuning. It would be nice to have had something to make the EADGBE text bolder, and those LEDs of a different color - especially when trying to tune up or tweak on a dim stage. I'm sure the OP-Pro's readout had this in mind - to make things clearer for the player - might be easy to update the other tuners though with only graphics and a different color LED.

Generally... all the text labels on the preamp are just about unreadable unless you REALLY examine them, so why not just use graphics for volume, notch, etc etc.

Next, the layout for the pushbuttons does not match the layout of the related function. For instance, the EQ in/out ought to have been where the notch swich is... and with a graphic that ties it to the EQ sliders. The notch switch ought to be the middle switch - right under the notch pot - and tied in with a graphic. The preset switch can then be where the EQ switch currently is - and it needs a graphic of its own (but I couldn't think of one for it).

One last thing... when the tuner is in CAL mode, there ought to be something to tell you. It can mess you up if you're not careful, then its a bit of a job to QUICKLY and ASSUREDLY get it back to its normal mode.....'

Now I KNOW you're all gonna say, ol' CharlieB's flipped his flippin' flipper, and he must have too damn much time on his hands, and he ought to be playing more. I stand guilty as charged, but, I dunno, I still think they could have done a little better with those preamps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-19 11:21 PM (#194207 - in reply to #194206)
Subject: Re: Preamp foibles... and my email to Ovation

Nah, your sane, just a little different.

Have you played with the OP Pro yet? I'm thinking it might be more what you want. I gives the letter with a flashing up/down.

Also - Are the OP30, OP40, OP50 and OP Pros interchangable? It looks like all of the pots are the same.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-20 4:16 AM (#194208 - in reply to #194206)

As I understand it the Op30 & 40 are interchangable with each other but not with the OP50.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-20 6:05 AM (#194209 - in reply to #194206)

Awww I dont think I'd wanna change. I've only seen the OP-PRo in pictures -but it seems like that BIG flashing letter would be easier to see than a squinty printed on letter next to an LED that looks just like its neighbor.
Goober
Posted 2004-02-20 6:32 AM (#194210 - in reply to #194206)

Isn't a foible a Michael Jackson boy toy? :confused:
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)