The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Time to stand up proud!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-02-19 10:58 PM (#194195)
Subject: Time to stand up proud!

With the introduction of the new LX series, it is obvious that Ovation is headed in the direction of a great sounding acoustic guitar. With the introduction of the new 12 fret slothead Adamas, Ovation has the perfect chance to stand up and say "we make great sounding acoustic guitars, not just great sounding plugged in guitars". Ovation was born on the idea that they could make a better sounding guitar, and that the roundback was the cornerstone of this belief. I hope for the day when I can open up a magazine such as Guitar Player and see an Ovation add claiming that Ovation makes a great sounding acoustic guitar. Maybe just maybe, the 12 fret slothead Adamas will help Ovation stand up proud!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-20 2:01 AM (#194196 - in reply to #194195)
Subject: Re: Time to stand up proud!

Paul

I agree with you on the acoustic progress Ovation is making, but would you please tell those people at the college there to quit kicking NMSU's ass or I'll never speak to you again. You can take care of that, can't you??

Bailey
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-02-20 10:09 AM (#194197 - in reply to #194195)

I'll try Bailey, and keep you posted of my progress. (lol) :p
John B
Posted 2004-02-20 10:30 AM (#194198 - in reply to #194195)

From what I've read about the LX, it sounds like they are making strides in the direction of even better sounding guitars. I don't know if Ovation will ever be considered a top guitar for unplugged sound however. I think Ovation should concentrate on what they do best, which is making awesome playing and sounding guitars that are made to be plugged in.

It will be very difficult for Ovation to to really be dominant in the "true" acoustic market because there are already too many competitors there. Martin and Taylor are making some nice guitars for under $1000.00 now, so price is no longer a big selling point for Ovation.

Personally, I'm glad that Ovation concentrates on people like us that who need a great acoustic electric guitar. I think Ovation out performs evryone in this area (and I have 2 Martins and have played many high end guitars). In fact, the guy that I jam with owns a high end Taylor with their new mic / blender system, and he prefers to use my Baladeer for plugging in! I think that tells the whole story right there.
Jiminos
Posted 2004-02-20 10:55 AM (#194199 - in reply to #194195)

I don't know if Ovation will ever be considered a top guitar for unplugged sound ...

i might have to take issue with this. i've played the "best of the best".... martin d18v, martin hd-28, gibson j-200 (rosewood and maple versions), guild jf-30, gibson d-45 (rosewood and maple versions), d-50, taylor 710, alvarez yiari cy118, hummingbird, dove .... i even own one (guild jf-30). i honestly believe that the deep bowl O's easily hold their own in this company. in fact, they are near the top of the heap, if not at the top. the new 30th anniv is an example of this. the A2's are another example, the early elites. in fact, even a lot of the mid bowl O's can hold on in that crowd i.e. the s778.
i think just about everybody will concede that O's are the best plugged in acoustic there is... but it is time to recognize that O did not start out electric, they started acoustic and got everybody's attention before they plugged in.

as for the lx's... i honestly believe this is not a new sound for O. they are recapturing the sound they had in the sixties and seventies. they are coming back around.... and they are causing a little excitement in the process. i suspect we will start seeing more artists with O's.

i would never consider recording with anything else. i would never consider performing with anything else.

.... now... somebody kick me off this soap box and take a turn.
John B
Posted 2004-02-20 11:35 AM (#194200 - in reply to #194195)

"I don't know if Ovation will ever be considered a top guitar for unplugged sound"

Just to clarify, when I said this, I meant that Ovation will probably not be considered a top unplugged guitar by non Ovation players, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they are. I just think that it would be tough to convince the "traditionalists". Personally, I think that my mid-depth Baladeer sounds great unplugged. It's right up there with my Martins.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-20 12:02 PM (#194201 - in reply to #194195)

John;
Since Jeanette's in Atlanta this weekend on business, I was thinking of coming down to the Second Half tonite to catch one of your sets. If I do, I'll bring along with me (if you don't mind) an old Ovation that I have that's strictly acoustic for you to try on one of your breaks.

I agree (and it's been discussed here at GREAT length) that Ovations have a stigma about them by the more so-called "traditional" guitarists, but decibel-for-decibel, tone-for-tone, I defy ANY Martin/Taylor model to do what this guitar can do on an even acoustic playing field.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-20 12:19 PM (#194202 - in reply to #194195)

I sense a set up here....
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-02-20 12:44 PM (#194203 - in reply to #194195)

For years I played no other guitar but my 1687 Adamas. Then a few years ago, I played an old Custom Legend. Now I am hooked on them. My Custom Legend was made in 1978, and it has one of the best acoustic tones I have ever heard. I just got a 30th anniversary Custom Legend, and it to has a huge sound. I would put these two guitar against any other acoustic guitars period. Oh yes, they sound awesome plugged in also. :)
John B
Posted 2004-02-20 12:49 PM (#194204 - in reply to #194195)

Cliff: I'd love to try your guitar out but belive me, I'm already a believer. Like I said, my Baladeer has a great unplugged sound. I think that part of Ovation's image problem with the "traditionalists" is the product that is commonly found in the stores. I know that this has also been discussed, but if you go in to the average store, you will find a bunch of out of tune Korean super shallows with the action way out of whack. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't think that Ovations were too good either. My friend Sean didn't like Ovations (he's the guy with the Taylor)until he played mine. Now he's thinking about buying one! I've also noticed that Ovation's print ads focus mainly on the "plug it in" theme which may also contribute to the image problem.
Jiminos
Posted 2004-02-20 1:13 PM (#194205 - in reply to #194195)

I've also noticed that Ovation's print ads focus mainly on the "plug it in" theme which may also contribute to the image problem.

an interesting point... this is true. to an extent i can understand the marketing ideology behind that advertising.... in today's market, there are a lot of acoustic brands out there. still, as many as there are, only a few have risen to the status of "household word." and those have become "niched" if you will. seems like there are stereotyped uses for guitars... but not many pros will argue the superiority of an O that is plugged in. if that is the rep that Ovations wants to lean on for sales, i can understand that.

perhaps the "rediscovery" of the Ovation acoustic sound will embolden the marketing department to try a few forays in to marketing the acoustic sound as a theme for their advertising.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)