The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
just a quick tone question -

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-20 8:53 AM (#194174)
Subject: just a quick tone question -

As you all know - I'm having a real gas with the new Adamas, but I'm such a newbie, maybe this is (once again) an old hat question.

I've heard - in an anecdotal way - that regular use of an acoustic guitar, violin, etc etc is needed to maintain the tops vibratory characteristics. Dunno if thats true or not, and its not the real point of the post, just a sort of footnote to it.

The real question is - is it normal for a top to "open up" acoustically after some use? Reason I'm saying this is now with about five hours or more playing on the new git'fiddle, I can notice a real change in the tone - mostly more highs. They seem a little more lively or something. Its like they were pretty muted when I first played it, and now they seem to have more glisten, more sustain.

Anyway.. could be my (rapidly aging) ears, could be the top is getting used to vibrating... but its sounding perty-sweet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve
Posted 2004-02-20 10:44 AM (#194175 - in reply to #194174)
Subject: Re: just a quick tone question -

hi charlie,
there are a few case scenarios here...
first, if the strings were brand new and tuned, they will sound much better in a day or so, and after being played will gradually digress over time...
next, it is said the more that wood vibrates the more it ages and the more it ages the more it becomes fragile and the more it becomes fragile the better it sounds, but that is wood..., as far as carbon fiber tops go it might be a simple law of physics that it will improve with age as well; i am sure ovation has exstensive research on that...

steve
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-20 11:14 AM (#194176 - in reply to #194174)

Well it could be a string thing I suppose.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-20 11:45 AM (#194177 - in reply to #194174)

I'd guess that a carbon fibre laminated top will show very little change as a function of being played, compared to a solid wood top.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-20 11:50 AM (#194178 - in reply to #194174)

CharlieB,
IMHO It's You! On a reflexive level your brain is constantly processing and refining the coordination needed to play your instrument. The "Muscle Memory" factor is lending to better and cleaner technique. You may also be fine tuning your ear - which tells your brain what else to do. I think it all works together.

For example: When you move back and forth from various instruments you need to "acclimate" or adjust to each subtly different instrument. At first it is intentional but most of it happens intuitively. Practice, practice, paractice.

It's a gift. Some get it and some don't.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-20 12:01 PM (#194179 - in reply to #194174)

Well, maybeso, but that never happened on a Tele. Maybe we can call it some of the mystique or somethin.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-20 12:18 PM (#194180 - in reply to #194174)

I know it might seem that I'm out there on this one. With the acoustic it's you and the instrument. With the Tele it's you, the instrument and the electronics. Intimacy!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)