The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My MS Outlook Or My Server Is Fooed Up!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Goober
Posted 2004-02-21 8:09 PM (#194011)
Subject: My MS Outlook Or My Server Is Fooed Up!

I can send messages, but don't receive any? Any suggestions? I just archived to make room...what next?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-21 10:11 PM (#194012 - in reply to #194011)
Subject: Re: My MS Outlook Or My Server Is Fooed Up!

Contact your internet service provider.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-21 10:59 PM (#194013 - in reply to #194011)

Goob... if you ever were able to both send and recieve, and you haven't changed settings, then its gotta be the ISP's POP3 server (the incoming would be their SMTP server).

Invest the price of a pick, and give 'em a ring on the Tele...er.. tele.
Blocks
Posted 2004-02-22 12:17 PM (#194014 - in reply to #194011)

There's a good chance you mistakenly selected to save messages on the server. Assuming you are using the full Outlook version....

Goto Tools>Email Accounts>View or change

Select the account in question and select "change"

Click on more settings>advanced
and make sure "leave a copy of messages on the server" is not selected.

Then make sure the program checks for messages automatically at whatever time interval you like and you shouldn't run into any problems... other than spam :mad:
Nils
Posted 2004-02-22 1:05 PM (#194015 - in reply to #194011)

Blocks- I just spent $39.95 for an anti-spam program from Norton (Symantec). My cable outfit has a good spam filter but I was starting to get those miserable popups. The Norton anti-spam program kills the popups too. I tried the 15 day free trial first (Symantec.com) & by the 8th day it had cleaned up everything so I bought it to make sure it stays clean. Between the NAV & the anti-spam it will find the files that update themselves & over the course of about a week it had converted all the nasty files (I was up to 18 adware files & this is an almost new machine) & either deleted them or allowed me to delete them. Some were .dll files & Windows wouldn't let me delete them at first. Apparently Norton fixed it all. I got rid of the last one a few days ago. I already had Norton AV & Firewall so it all integrated itself. (Sorta like Eric Cartman's Crapper Keeper.) It updates itself too. My cable outfit uses McKafee (sp?) AV & spam filter but Norton has found a few that have gotten past the server. They possibly don't update as often as I do. At any rate between my machines security & my server's security my machine has been behaving very nicely. Downside- between the NAV, N Firewall & the anti-spam it costs about $10 a month but it's worth it, especially if you have your business info in your machine.

Hope this helps somebody,

/\/\/
Blocks
Posted 2004-02-22 1:49 PM (#194016 - in reply to #194011)

Yup... I run Norton Internet Security Pro which includes the spam filter. I've tried several other spam blockers and Norton's has worked the best so far.
Goober
Posted 2004-02-22 3:45 PM (#194017 - in reply to #194011)

I am trying your remedy, Blocks. BTW, I do have banjoved@hotmail.com working. You should get your check on Monday!!
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-22 4:41 PM (#194018 - in reply to #194011)

FWIW, Mozilla (www.mozilla.org), the core program of Netscape, has a built in popup manager, cookie manager, certificate manager... and more.

I ran IE and the "old" Netscape 4.76 side by side for a while (Netscape was much faster), till the Mozilla got up to speed. The "new" Netscape got a bad rap when it was released too soon, but, the current Mozilla (1.5 or 1.6) is very stable. Nary a problem, except on ebay where I gotta finagle with the cookie manager sometimes. I find it easier to just use IE for ebay bidding (which is rare anyway), and Mozilla for all the rest.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-22 8:21 PM (#194019 - in reply to #194011)

To insure a safe computing day, or at least as safe as possible, and in many cases a faster computing experience...

I recommend this browser.
Mozilla ORG

I recommend AdAware to get rid of what are called "mouse droppings."
Lavasoft AdAware

If you are using a cable modem, even if you only have one computer, invest in a router or more preferrably a switch. They can be had for well under $100.00. The Linksys units are great and the advantage is they not only come with a built in firewall, but also hide your true IP address from the outside world and they have some other more practical useful features too just in case you actually do have more than one computer or laptop, and printer. This is just one model, but they are very useful and probably the most protection for your $'s.
LinkSYS

And although I am a big Norton Antivirus fan, I do have one machine where I just could not install it. I have used virus protection from Datafellows since the late 80's, and they are the only other Virus protection I trust.
Datafellows F-SecureLinkSYS

Just as a final note. If you are using Windows2000 or WinXP, insure Windows Messaging is turned OFF or the service disabled. This is probably THE MOST EXPLOITED security risk on any computer... Although info can be found at the Microsoft site, this simple set of instructions from UVa Information Technology and Communication department are the simplest I have seen:
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
Goober
Posted 2004-02-22 8:28 PM (#194020 - in reply to #194011)

Thanks Blocks! You are da man!!! I believe that I am fixed.....maybe.

And, thanks Miles, I am taking your advice, too. Will some of you O-heads send me an e-mail? Like a dirty joke or somthing? Let's test this booger out!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)