The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas Bass ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-21 11:31 PM (#193989)
Subject: Adamas Bass ?

Hi New meat here. Figured you guy's would know where,....... (I've looked at Al's site), and What number and letter code I am looking for to find an Adamas Acoustic Bass Guitar? Every site I find online has all the 6 & 12 string adamas guitars but no basses? .....Thanks ....... Nice site ! ..... Great Guitars!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-02-21 11:46 PM (#193990 - in reply to #193989)
Subject: Re: Adamas Bass ?

good luck. I think there were 3 made. I know where one is but he is not selling.

I may be able to custom order one for you.
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-22 12:05 AM (#193991 - in reply to #193989)

Well that explains it then... No wonder I can't find one. I do not understand the Ovation company at all here? They Manufacture a computer designed body for sound...... then they produce a carbon fiber composite top to enhance the sound even more er. they come up with a fantastic acoustic guitar that has super strength. Why would they not make an Adamas Bass? just like They make the other wood top basses? and they do develope stress problems. Ovation has the best possible "Acoustic Bass" characteristics you could find. and they don't make one? Man sounds like they need a marketing consultant here? No Answer needed I am just ranting and fishing for information. Randy
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-22 12:33 AM (#193992 - in reply to #193989)

I was reading your post and I thought it was me for a second! I shouldn't feel bad though, they made twice as many 12 string Baritone Adamas so they could be put in the closet.

Between rants there are some very knowledgable people on this board and they carry a lot of history. One thing I'm resigned to is that if you really want a certian concept carried out in an instrument a custom order will do it.

Get out your plastic though!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-22 5:25 AM (#193993 - in reply to #193989)

By Adamas bass do you mean a bass with a carbon fibre top? If so Al is correct & very few have been made. They have made a few carbon-top mandolins also, so a custom order Adamas bass is likely to be possible. Are you aware that Ovation make wood-topped Elite basses with the Adamas-type sound hole configuration?
alpep
Posted 2004-02-22 5:25 AM (#193994 - in reply to #193989)

They barely sell that many basses to begin with. Why put something into the line that would be expensive and not sell? I can see the posts now. I went to GC and can't find an Adamas bass or $3500 for an Adamas bass I'll wait for the celebrity model.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-22 8:20 AM (#193995 - in reply to #193989)

Fact is - nobody is selling that many acoustic basses, of any type.

I think the only reason they exist is so someone who needs to play in an "amplified acoustic" ensemble, can fit in without having to get (and learn) to play a double bass - which incidentally has the acoustic volume to fit in if playing solely without amps.
Goober
Posted 2004-02-22 8:30 AM (#193996 - in reply to #193989)

Elton John Live - "Buttplugged"
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-22 8:57 AM (#193997 - in reply to #193989)

Thanks for the reply's Nice group you were easy on me! Sounds like I am dissapointed with Ovation? Not at all I have had the absolute pleasure of owning three Ovation guitars through the years. I took the plunge and bought an Adamas 12 string 1688-7 a few weeks ago. Prices on these are prohibative at best, but I have to tell you My Elite never sounded like this! This thing sounds like it is plugged in with effects. Man I am a believer I took the shims out tightend the neck bolts and gave the truss rod a turn the action on this is better than any 12 string I have ever played! and this one is almost 30 years old!
When I was younger... yeah a while ago... These guitars always had tags DO NOT TOUCH! I never had the cash Time will change everthing.
I am having a second childhood of sorts but The old Yes, Zep, Floyd, genesis, etc. music books and phone calls to old band members I have not talked with in 20yrs have begun. My music passion has been reborn from this purchase. Alex is currently helping me with another Guitar I have been after for some time as well.
The Adamas Bass would be more for the collector than I if they are this rare? I had no idea.... I have an old Yamaha Bass I blew the dust off of but it, as well as my Bass Guitar skills come up short when trying to do some old Chris Squire (silently falling). I guess I want the Adamas as a trophy Bass? Not realistic! For a third the price or less I'll find the Rickenbacker I should have bought years ago? Again Nice site Thanks for the reply's
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-22 10:21 AM (#193998 - in reply to #193989)

N.C.: Glad to have you onboard. I understand the "time" comment. I'm now aquiring a number of instruments that 20 years ago I couldn't have even considered.

I too have a 1688 Adamas 12. I also have a 1969 Glen Campbell 12 string. I love playing the GC and the sound is vintage Ovation, high and bright. But when I put that down and pick up Big Blue, it's like going from a garage band to a symphony. Huge, lush, and it just flows out. So easy to make it sound great. I often play it so people will think the three chords I know sound like so much more.
Goober
Posted 2004-02-22 11:05 AM (#193999 - in reply to #193989)

Paul, I've never met you...but already hate you!! ;)
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-22 11:14 AM (#194000 - in reply to #193989)

Hey Nice to see I'm not the only "Old Fart" or at least "Older Fart" in here?
Yep the 12 string makes my three chords & Supertramp sound like Supertramp now! Bought a Zoom Acoustic pedal just to see what it can do? I will most likely Mic this Adamas. I just don't think I can get it better than what it's designed to do?
Fingers hurt a little but I'm goin through my Little black book/with me poems in!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-22 11:26 AM (#194001 - in reply to #193989)

Hey Goob, it's ok to hate me. After all, I am the board's smart ass.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-22 12:09 PM (#194002 - in reply to #193989)

Old fart?? Hey I RESEMBLE that!
Goober
Posted 2004-02-22 12:10 PM (#194003 - in reply to #193989)

You can say "ass" here? Cool.
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-02-22 1:36 PM (#194004 - in reply to #193989)

Some of us own the no-longer-in-production Viper bass, they show up in ebay every now and then. You have to plug em in to play with other instruments, unplugged they are great for practicing. Best thing I like about it is the chambered body makes it light weight.....
Always get comments on how beautiful it is!!!
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-22 2:50 PM (#194005 - in reply to #193989)

Chambered Body? AL has one I think? did not know this was a semi hollow body? or whatever? Thanks That's another option. What would you say the sound is like? I would like to reproduce the Rick sound as close as possible? I figure with the new electronics I can make most Basses sound the way I want with a little experimenting? I think I was dreaming trying to make an Ovation Acoustic base sound the way I want but hey, I have come up with some pretty strang sounds on my Acoustic 6.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-22 4:05 PM (#194006 - in reply to #193989)

". . . old Yes, Zep, Floyd, Genesis,?? . . . Chris Squire? . . . Supertramp?? . . ."

Jeez! . . this is a guy after my own heart!!

Two questions:

Where the fuck is Northville, NY? . . and when can I come up and jam???? :D
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-22 5:57 PM (#194007 - in reply to #193989)

Oh Man that's funny! I am in the middle of the Adirondack Mountains We had a few guy's together once and Yep.. Floyd, Yes, Zep, Eagles, and a whole bunch of other Super Super time consuming songs on the list. Still friends with the keyboard man. Hard to get him to blow the dust off the Hammond but he's still got it! He has a real ability to crank out the Wakeman/ Moraz. Bass player has moved but not to far so were working on it. Gotta have him too He and I would change over between Bass & Guitar (I got the easy songs) Drummer is gone but were looking. Biggest limitation we have to putting this together is our voices! Man... not easy to hit those notes on that song list at all, much less a set's worth? Sounds like we are doing the "Just For Fun Thing" But it always seems to go further than that.
Thanks for the Notes.....
My suggestion is to burn some of this stuff for ourselves just so we can say we did it someday to our grandkids! What a Bunch of Old F***in Farts we are!
I had to break out my old chord book last night and............. here it comes ........FIND MY GOD*AM GLASSES so I could read it!
If you don't mind my long windedness (I think that's a word?).... I am convinced Yes put some of the best musical talent together... ever ...but between Chris Squire and Steve Howe these two guy's have caused me more aggrivation and loss of sleep than anyone. And I have never met either one in person?
Man I remember lots of good times, Narcotics, Booze and girls. Mostly Booze and Narcotics! It's knid of fun to see what we could have done now that we have a better financial footing and grip on reality and don't have all that baggage hangin on. I am rambling again Enjoy whatever it is you do! And do it as well as you can! you'll get more out of this life! Now I'm preachin!
cliff
Posted 2004-02-23 8:02 AM (#194008 - in reply to #193989)

". . I am in the middle of the Adirondack Mountains . .
That figures.
"In and around the lake . . mountains come out of the sky . . they stand there . . "
It fits.
Next to the Keys, the Adirondacks are one of my favorite places to visit (especially Lake Placid/Saranac Lake). Perhaps when I go camping up there this Summer we could hook up.

You goin' on the Tour/Jam next month?
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-23 4:46 PM (#194009 - in reply to #193989)

Tour ! We will be lucky to get ten songs right before it breaks up? Be fun trying again though
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-23 6:05 PM (#194010 - in reply to #193989)

OHH What a DA The Tour/Jam NO time this winter for anything other than moving snow/work/playing music! I will do one of these if they come up again. I have always wanted to see the Factory and all the goodies! I did not read your answer correctly. I drive just over an hour to and from work each day and I am wearing out the Yes CD's working on Chris Squire, Fish Out of Water Silently Falling now. I am in Music mode I was taking a break from trying to figure out that Zoom Acoustic pedal. I'm gettin it It used to be a lot more simple to just hit the button! This thing will run rings around the old stuff but..Hey I am old stuff now... and there is a larger learning curve these day's Thanks for the Invite All!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)