The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
THE UNDER RATED ADAMAS GUITAR

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

DAY III
Posted 2004-02-23 1:38 PM (#193917)
Subject: THE UNDER RATED ADAMAS GUITAR

RESENTLY I ASKED FOR AN EXPERT OPION ON THE VALUE OF A (MINT)12 STRING ADAMAS 1688 AUTO/KAMAN II SERIAL 728-92,ASSUMING I WERE LOOKING AT THE HIGH BOOK,I HAVE LOST WELL OVER $1,200 AFTER 25 YRS I FIND THIS HEART BREAKING OF COURSE I HAVE ADDED THE CREDIT CARD CHARGES AND COMPOUDED INTREST TO MY PAINFUL LOSS,I,M STILL WONDERING IF THIS IS THE RIGHT VALUE? IF SO CAN I EXPECT TO THIS TREND FOR THE NEXT 25 YRS TO PLAY OUT?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-23 1:49 PM (#193918 - in reply to #193917)
Subject: Re: THE UNDER RATED ADAMAS GUITAR

How much is the car worth that you bought at the same time? I'm assuming that you had 25 years of playing that guitar. Isn't that worth something? Or did you just buy it for the investment value? If so. c'est la vie. You're buying a guitar for the wrong reason.

Almost all guitars purchased 25 years ago are worth less now than they were then. Even if they can still sell for what you paid for them, with inflation you're going to be down.

By the way, please don't post in caps. It's the computer equivalent of yelling.
DAY III
Posted 2004-02-23 2:58 PM (#193919 - in reply to #193917)

message to Paul! sorry for the(CAPS)"dude" didnt mean to "yell" at you,it was "rude","insensitve",and"thoughtless"of me!(thanks for the advice) DAY III :o
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-23 3:24 PM (#193920 - in reply to #193917)

Hey D-3:

It just means that you fit in on this board well. Where in central CA are you?
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-23 4:01 PM (#193921 - in reply to #193917)

You ought to have invested in Fender, what can I say.

Bought my 79 Strat for $350, and have turned down $1000... and that was no great year for Fender either.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-23 4:13 PM (#193922 - in reply to #193917)

I find this interesting. I deal mostly with the solidbody Ovations and my experience has been that today they are worth (I can get hard cash) equal to what they RETAILED for originally 20 years ago. There are some exceptions in both directions but that has been the general rule until recently when several models have gone for much more (ebay) than they originally retailed for.

I have limited knowledge of the Acoustics but the same formula has applied for me. You said you asked an expert... well no comment on that. I know places like "the Blue Book" and other similar sources from my experience have no clue/are not even close be it high or low... just wrong.

Finally, it all comes down to the buyer. The right instrument to the right buyer will command the right amount.

As was eluded to earlier and I have posted many times. I know of no other product you can buy, use for 20+ years, make money with it for 20+ years, and then sell for the same you bought it for. My experience is that with Ovations this is the general rule, I could be wrong having only bought and sold a couple of hundred used Ovation guitars in the last 3 or 4 years.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-23 6:35 PM (#193923 - in reply to #193917)

Let's put the potential value of your guitar into perspective. Lets say we take what you paid for the guitar, & divide that figure by the number of weeks you've owned it. That will give you a ballpark weekly rental rate. Scary, isn't it? Now compare that to a car, or TV, or Microwave, or dishwasher, or Hi-fi system, or refrigerator, or whatever disposable utility piece of your life you bought 25 years ago. Then whine that you've had a bad deal on your guitar.

My 3 year-old car isn't worth shit, but my 32 year-old Legend still helps make the payments on my house
Nils
Posted 2004-02-23 11:49 PM (#193924 - in reply to #193917)

Hey Paul, that reminds me, could you re-post that link to your website please? I've lost it somehow. I listened to a couple of the songs you had on there a few weeks ago (late at night) & you guys rock! I was going to go back when it wasn't the middle of the night & check it out more, but somehow I spaced it out & lost it.
I tried a search but I'm hoping this might be easier, there's a lot of Thunderhead stuff to wade through...
I think it was in a T-head thread anyway. tia

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-24 2:17 AM (#193925 - in reply to #193917)

Can anybody here help me with this terrible problem?

In 1957 I married this 19 year old woman, she went right out and had four children while I was feeding and clothing her. The children took over my house and ate me out of house and home while I just goofed around and had a secret love affair with their mother whenever we could get away with it. I checked the blue book on 65 year old mothers of four and it seems the market is rather flat, especially when I have to list her as having a stroke a few years ago, from which she has recovered, she also has become blind in one eye as a result of undiagnosed diabetes now under control. I REALLY feel cheated that she would lose her value so fast after feeding her all these years. Should I have married another brand of woman, I have to admit I really enjoyed all those years with her but look how bad I've been cheated. Thank goodness my acoustic guitar is worth what I paid for it, I feel sorry for those people who had to spend life with a guitar and never had a woman to cheat them out of their chance for a great investment.

Bailey

I said I've had a bad 2 weeks, 4 days after my dog died one of her two surviving brothers died in Florida right after her sister died a month ago, we are both looking over our shoulders wondering what is gaining on us (as a famous, black, Cleveland baseball pitcher said).
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-24 4:30 AM (#193926 - in reply to #193917)

Nils, try this

www.snakeoilmusic.com
Bluebird
Posted 2004-02-24 6:27 AM (#193927 - in reply to #193917)

Point well taken, Bailey...we can always count on you to put things in prospective.

Wayne
Nils
Posted 2004-02-24 8:47 PM (#193928 - in reply to #193917)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
Nils, try this

www.snakeoilmusic.com

Thanks Paul. Gotcha bookmarked now. Do you have a CD out?

/\/\/
DAY III
Posted 2004-02-24 11:18 PM (#193929 - in reply to #193917)

"ALL RIGHT" "ALL RIGHT" i get the point! sorry for the (caps)Paul i couldn,t resist. you guys sure know how to make a(poor)musician feel good! what i meant to say was i wish i had made more money "playing" my guitar all over the world these last 25 years,is there anyone out there who can relate to the term (pay to play)? i sure can, maybe i,m just "bitter" because i,ve spent more money than i,ve made at this darn hobby,if you can call 3 record deals a hobby oh well it could be worse, at least i,ve been able to see the world and for that i,m thankful.D3 :confused:
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-25 1:32 AM (#193930 - in reply to #193917)

DayIII

You have eloquently stated what a whole lot of us have experienced over the years, but not many of us would trade that so called monetary failure for a more lucrative but less interesting life.

Paul T

That Beamish Mary Inn is something else to us anglophiles. I was in my glory sipping my Red Hook India Pale Ale and touring an Honest to goodness English Pub on my computer. In Del Mar, CA in the 70's when the movie stars still came to the horse races, they had a place called The Pub with Watney's on tap, dart games and a great selection of continental beers. It was a very popular place and I quaffed a few pints there, the Beamish Mary would have been a super hit in that beach town. Visitors were like Donald O'Conner, Jimmy Dean the sausage king, Bing, Bob Hope, The head of the FBI, J. Edgar, who had a private suite at a local luxury motel, and dropped big money at the Del Mar track, and a whole bunch of us local yokels who would go from bar to bar as we heard that so-and-so was tippling at such and such bar it was like following the sex shows in Tijuana.

Bailey
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-25 3:38 AM (#193931 - in reply to #193917)

Nils, those particular tracks were recorded with a single stereo mike straight to DAT. We've just started recording a studio album which I'm hoping to get finished by the summer.

Bailey, that particular pub is a gem & there's not many like that left, most British pubs are just McDonalds that sell alcohol.
Nils
Posted 2004-02-26 1:46 AM (#193932 - in reply to #193917)

Let us know if you get a CD done. I'll buy one.

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-27 2:27 AM (#193933 - in reply to #193917)

Paul T

Thanks for presrving things like that on your web site and giving us a chance to see it. It fits my image of a British Pub so it's great to her that some exists. (The Black Cleveland Indian baseball player that said don't look back, whatever it is might be gaining on you was Satchel Paige who was middle aged by the time he was able to pitch in the white leagues and he struck out a long string of batters who thought negroes couldn't pitch in the majors)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)