The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
hotels and airplanes

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

alpep
Posted 2004-02-23 10:42 PM (#193840)
Subject: hotels and airplanes

Has everyone made their hotel and airplane reservations?

Let us know your situations we want to see all of you there. I hope those burros are fed and ready to move or maybe a mule team (remember those old borax commercials? what the hell is borax anyway>>> ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nils
Posted 2004-02-23 10:46 PM (#193841 - in reply to #193840)
Subject: Re: hotels and airplanes

A hydrated sodium borate, Na2B4O7·10H2O, an ore of boron, that is used as a cleaning compound.
An anhydrous sodium borate used in the manufacture of glass and various ceramics.

/\/\/

And for some reason it takes a 20 mule team to move it & Ronald Reagan to sell it.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-23 10:49 PM (#193842 - in reply to #193840)

There's always one in the crowd....
Nils
Posted 2004-02-23 10:54 PM (#193843 - in reply to #193840)

And that's the way it was --- movin' west :p

/\/\/
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-23 11:52 PM (#193844 - in reply to #193840)

It's worse than that! Doesn't a lot of it come from one of those tropical islands made up primarily of Seabird Guano (feces)? Or is that the phosphorus based stuff? Sounds like you know your !@!$!

The point of this post is that if you have some difficulties Al knows his too and can help find answers!
Nils
Posted 2004-02-24 12:34 AM (#193845 - in reply to #193840)

I don't know guano. I have my trusty net dictopnary right here under my pointy thing though so I copied & pasted :)
I thought they dug that stuff outa the desert in Nevada or somewhere? Big wagon, 20 mule team & all that crap? That's how they were doing it right there in living black & white when Ronnie was shilling it on the Movin' West show back in the 50's wasn't it? I'll look some more...

borax

\Bo"rax\, n. [OE. boras, fr. F. borax, earlier spelt borras; cf. LL. borax, Sp. borraj; all fr. Ar. b?rag, fr. Pers. b?rah.] A white or gray crystalline salt, with a slight alkaline taste, used as a flux, in soldering metals, making enamels, fixing colors on porcelain, and as a soap. It occurs native in certain mineral springs, and is made from the boric acid of hot springs in Tuscany. It was originally obtained from a lake in Thibet, and was sent to Europe under the name of tincal. Borax is a pyroborate or tetraborate of sodium, Na2B4O7.10H2O.

Where's Tuscany? Izzat in Nevada?

/\/\/
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-24 12:42 AM (#193846 - in reply to #193840)

My bad. That is phosphates that are guano or sea bed deposits.

You really do know a lot of crap!

Redemption round: If I could only learn 3 "Bluegrass" tunes which should they be?
Nils
Posted 2004-02-24 1:42 AM (#193847 - in reply to #193840)

I am a walking compendium of worthless information.
Not really. All I know is how to use the searchy thing in MSIE, sorta.
Can't help you on the three bluegrass tunes.
/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-24 1:42 AM (#193848 - in reply to #193840)

Boron, a major costituent of borax is one of the strongest moderators for a nucleur reaction and is usually the ingredient in control rods and the "Scram" system that shuts down a reactor in an emergency. Vicey versey it is an impurity that you do not want in other reactor components so it must be completely segregated from nucleur fuel production facilities. It is, or was, mined out at Trona, CA in the northern Mojave, I knew a fellow who got a divorce in the 50's in LA and retreated to a chem plant in Trona to escape civilization to reconstruct his life. They lived out there in dormitories then, fed, housed and controlled in a final remnant of the old "company" town and store. He escaped to Ohio, and later back to CA where he ran "Good Time Charlie's" bar in Ocean Beach in the 60's.

Three Bluegrass songs??
Fox on the Run
Fireball Mail
Little Maggie

But you have to go out in the CA desert and jam around a fire at night to learn them.

:cool:
Nils
Posted 2004-02-24 1:49 AM (#193849 - in reply to #193840)

The Kingfish says "All ya gotta know about this hear new-clear fishin' Andy, is, you got da new'ton, da po'ton, da fig newton & da moron."

/\/\/
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-02-24 6:43 AM (#193850 - in reply to #193840)

Let me see if a quick read of this thread leads to the right conclusion: you add borax and guano to a nuclear reactor and the result is blowing !@#$ up, showering mules with guitars to a Bluegrass soundtrack?
alpep
Posted 2004-02-24 7:56 AM (#193851 - in reply to #193840)

Paul B, Nils, Bailey
did you make your reservations? will we see you at the tour?

will I need to send the 20 mule team out to pick you up???
xnoel
Posted 2004-02-24 8:14 AM (#193852 - in reply to #193840)

A little more on Boron. Back in the 60's when I worked for General Dynamics in Ft. Worth, the first composite materials (as in Adamas tops) was not carbon but boron. They knew that carbon would be the coming thing and would be on the next airplane they built (the next airplane for GD was the F-16), but were working with boron. The price as I remember was $1600 a pound.
One time one of the R & D groups brought a piece overlaid with this composite to the tooling machine shop to have some lathe work done. No one in tooling knew what the material was, it was so hard the lathe operator put coolant on it to try to keep the cutting tool from dulling so fast. The adhesive that was used gave way and the strips turned loose and went in every direction, $20,000 down the tubes.
Noel
alpep
Posted 2004-02-24 8:35 AM (#193853 - in reply to #193840)

so Noel
are you signed up for the tour? did you make your hotel and plane reservations?
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-02-24 8:43 AM (#193854 - in reply to #193840)

Delta has good rates ... at least from Texas!
cliff
Posted 2004-02-24 9:36 AM (#193855 - in reply to #193840)

I've placed a call to the hotel this morning and left a message in Ronnie's voicemail. Awaiting a call back.

And . . . I have rented a passenger van for the trip to CT as I will be transporting Master Templeman and his UK entourage from their "Manhattan Holiday".

I tried desperately to find a van painted like a Union Jack and has the steering wheel on the "wrong side", but they were fresh out.

I'm opting for mounting a "dummy" steering wheel on a big suction cup to the passenger-side dashboard to keep Templeman occupied. A high-output exhaust fan is also being fitted to the underside of the passenger seat.

Fortunately Witko isn't accompanying us, as I don't think I can procure a hitch-mounted Port-O-John on such short notice.
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-02-24 10:59 AM (#193856 - in reply to #193840)

Got my hotel reservation, haven't booked the flight yet, depends on if my wife takes Thursday off (I'm all for taking Thursday off!!) on what time we arrive on Thursday, may not be until late that night.
Should get the flight booked by this weekend.

The Texas Contingent will be there!

:D
cliff
Posted 2004-02-24 11:31 AM (#193857 - in reply to #193840)

Cool. It looks like so far we've booked more than HALF of our allotted attendance and almost TWICE what we had last year (". . we're gonna need a bigger boat . . ." - Roy Scheider).

If we keep going at this rate, 100 people MAY be a possibility. That'd be AWESOME!!!

It's stuff like THIS that'd get Ovation "positive" press if it were to "leak" to trade publications (hint, hint).

I know it may sound easy for me to be touting this because I live "somewhat" local to the factory, and face it, this is a MAJOR expense for a LOT of you guys to undertake . . . believe me, . . . it's WORTH IT! . . . you will NOT be disappointed!!

Last year, we had a courageous few who ventured from Wisconsin, California, and the UK!! It wasn't any cheaper THEN and these same people are coming BACK again this year, after already seeing it! THAT'S gotta TELL you something!!

Fuck eBay!!
"Pull the Trigger" on THIS!!!
You WILL be glad you did!!!

Just got confirmation on my room from Jeremiah ("like the bullfrog" - HIS words, not mine) at the hotel. Nice chap.
Asked if I had any "special requests".
I told him just that I wanted my room to be on a COMPLETELY different plumbing waste line than Witko's and Templeman's respective rooms.

He said "I don't understand . . "

"You will." I told him. :rolleyes:
TRboy
Posted 2004-02-24 11:41 AM (#193858 - in reply to #193840)

Cliff,
You don't necessarily need to talk to Ronnie to make your reservations as I believe the whole staff is aware of the tour arrangements. I called and made my reservations Sunday night(9:15 EST)and spoke to Lynn(Ronnie had already gone home)and she knew of the tour and the special rate,etc. I had no problems at all and Lynn was very nice!!
I'm excited and looking forward to the tour and meeting everyone!!(also Cliff,you promised me I could play your slothead!! :eek: I hope you have it insured!! :D )

:cool:
cliff
Posted 2004-02-24 12:30 PM (#193859 - in reply to #193840)

Trboy;
That's primarily why I'm bringing it, so that "those that wants, can play it". (Except I always have to make those "Hannibal Lechter Security Provisions" whenever PlayAdamas is in the same room with it.)

I haven't "properly" insured it yet as my Letter of Authenticity has a somewhat faint odor of old jet fuel to it. ;)
alpep
Posted 2004-02-24 1:55 PM (#193860 - in reply to #193840)

so is anyone finding it difficult to get plane reservations or is having some other circumstances pertaining to why they cannot attend?
Nils
Posted 2004-02-24 7:58 PM (#193861 - in reply to #193840)

Originally posted by alpep:
Paul B, Nils, Bailey
did you make your reservations? will we see you at the tour?

will I need to send the 20 mule team out to pick you up???

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it Al. We have a building permit fiasco going here. We're trying to build a workshop/storage building. The permit bullshit has been dragging along since last November already & it's beginning to get expensive. I hope you all have a good time & I'm sure you'll keep "us that couldn't be there" in the know here on the OFC.

Nils
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-25 1:46 AM (#193862 - in reply to #193840)

Al
I'd love to go, but I also will love to hear about the tour as going isn't in my stars at the present time, on top of everything else my granddaughter just had a C-section baby and all is fine, a bright spot in the scheme of things.

I just saw on TV that the beautiful double decker buses in Britain are being phased out and are for sale. Youse guys should buy at least 10 of them to haul around the tour members. They are BIG, RED, and BEAUTIFUL, what more could you want?

Bailey
xnoel
Posted 2004-02-25 8:40 PM (#193863 - in reply to #193840)

Al,
I thought I answered this yesterday, but must have hit the wrong button. Won't be able to make this year, so you folks take some good pictures for us.
I really liked the group shot from last year, it is great to be able to put a face with the name!
Noel
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-02-26 12:02 AM (#193864 - in reply to #193840)

CONFIRM YOUR INTENT TO ATTEND

If you have already signed up for the tour, please proceed to the OFC TOUR CONFIRMATION option in the MEMBERS ACCESS area. This utility will also allow you to add or delete guests in your party.

FOR EACH NAME LISTED, check either ATTENDING or NOT ATTENDING then click the corresponding UPDATE button.

To modify any of the information for any of the entries, make the appropriate changes to the entry and then click the corresponding UPDATE button.

If you would like to delete one of your guests, click the DELETE link next to the entry you wish to delete. Your OFC Member record (the first one in the list) cannot be deleted. If you are not attending the Ovation Fan Club Factory Tour 2004 you must check the NOT ATTENDING box and click the corresponing UPDATE button for your entry.

You may add a guest by clicking the "ADD A GUEST" button at the bottom of the list. You must then complete the form for that new entry as appropriate.

ALL CHANGES, INCLUDING YOUR INTENT TO "ATTEND"
OR TO "NOT ATTEND" THE TOUR MUST BE COMPLETED
NO LATER THAN 11:59pm (MIDNIGHT), MONDAY MARCH 15, 2004. EST THIS FORM WILL BE UNAVAILABLE AFTER THAT DATE
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)