The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
UPS damage, sometimes they pay

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

stonebobbo
Posted 2004-02-25 4:56 PM (#193696 - in reply to #193671)
Subject: Re: UPS damage, sometimes they pay

OK, you guys are scaring me here ... no sooner do I pack up one of my guitars and place it into the hands of UPS (pronounced oops?) to send it back to the Mothership , then I find myself reading this thread. Ay caramba! (For the record, I have had maybe 6-8 guitars shipped to me UPS, both new and used, and all arrived without incident.) So I packed the Viper in its case (it still fits snugly), put it into a spare guitar box, filled the gaps with gently wadded newspaper, and duct taped the whole damn thing closed. Oh, yeah, I insured the thing, too. I figure if there's an issue, my turn was up, and at least it'll be at the right place and in the proper hands to make it all better.

Frozen pizza? California Pizza Kitchen, hands down. Of course, the better choice is just to buy some of that poppin' fresh pizza dough stuff, slather on some pizza sauce (the best stuff comes from NJ), lay on your favorite toppings, and you got a winner in about 15 minutes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-25 5:05 PM (#193697 - in reply to #193671)

It never ceases to amaze me how easily lead astray we all are on post topics!

The best frozen pizza is NOT Frozen pizza - you are better off getting a bunch of english muffins, tomato paste and some cheese. To entertain and occupy your kids spread out a bunch of choices and let them "build" and decorate their own - While you and Mom sip Chianti in the basket bottle. It's a good way to get rid of leftovers too.

Just another tip from your Uncle Woody.
alpep
Posted 2004-02-25 5:24 PM (#193698 - in reply to #193671)

frozen pizza? I think that is when the stouffers french bread pizzas were on sale and I just dumped them out of the box and into the freezer.

I am not an expert on packing. BUT I do ship 1-2 dz items a week. With that said I really don't want to see any of them back so I basically overpack.

IMHO the standard ovation boxes are too thin. I have had a few of the guitars come with punctured cases over the past nearly 10 years I have been dealing in Ovations. This just happened on Monday. It is rare. I can think of maybe 3-5 times and we are talking hundreds of guitars.

So if the guitar is an ovation in the original case slack the strings and shut the case you are finished. Any other guitar make sure the guitar has no play in the case. if it does take up the slack with newspaper pr bubble wrap. secure the headstock but not overly tight I think that could cause more harm than good.

If you have a box with the original stabilizers USE THEM. That is what they are made for and they work really well. Then slide in some extra cardboard on the sides. WhY? this helps to take the blow if the first cardboard is penetrated and then the case is not damaged. It also helps so that there is no slack in the box.

If you do not have the stabilizers then get creative. As Kim Keller once told me he never had a guitar that was packed in newspaper come damaged, Styrofoam peanuts settle and then you get air bubbles and such. if you use them make sure you put some solid stuff in there too.

I recyle all the stuff that comes into my house styrofoam old boxes newspaper etc. ONe of the best things are the coffee/soda carriers you get at fast food places. they are really tough and can withstand a lot of pressure. put a few of them in there and you have a box that is like IRON.

Plastic bags work too, but the main thing that I cannot stress enough is to have the case stabilized in the box. if it moves in the box then you did not pack it right. end of discussion.

Hamer probably ships their guitars in some of the best boxes in the industry, but I have had them come come busted open too.

Also alway orientate the heavy part to the bottom of the box. I have had guitars shipped to me headstock down several times. I have no clue what that guy was thinking.

In the past week I had 3 items damaged via UPs
first a case that was packed by a big box store in florida. thery just put the guitar in the case and NOTHING else in the box. the case came cracked.

the second a guitar and case shipped from the factory where a heavy object hit the box went through and cracked the case.

the third an amp that was packaged poorly and was so heavy it bent the power tranny on the amp chassis.

In closing bubble wrap is your friend. I buy it in 5Ft x 125 ft rolls and not that 1/4" stuff you have to buy the 1/2 " bubbles so that they don't break under the weight of something. I have shipped guitars in gig bags by wrapping them in bubble wrap and then packing the box well. it works
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-25 5:39 PM (#193699 - in reply to #193671)

Frozen pizza is the gastronomic equivilent of a Taylor guitar. Ok if there's nothing else, but when your're done you just feel you needed something better.
alpep
Posted 2004-02-26 9:01 AM (#193700 - in reply to #193671)

I just wanted to add that Ovation or should I say KMC has to use shipping cartons approved by UPS, so if you ship a guitar in the original carton and UPS denies the claim but they approved the box....do you see where I am going with this?
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-26 9:47 AM (#193701 - in reply to #193671)

Al, every amp I ever shipped with its speakers attached to the baffle, was damaged in shipment. In addition to that, several that had the speakers removed, but the chassis attached to the cabinet were damaged.

If I were shipping an amp - speakers out, shipped seperately. On all but the very smallest amps - chassis out, shipped seperately. Its more hassle, but a replacement cabinet, or even moreso, replacement speakers just destroy the tone and value of an old amp.... its worth the hassle.

Last one I shipped (nice 65 VibroChamp, tiny), had speaker out, tubes packed in a box inside the cabinet. Speaker and cabinet/chassis together. Something of Deluxe size or bigger, and it gets totally broken down though. Ya just gotta.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-02-26 11:42 AM (#193702 - in reply to #193671)

quote from Al: "so if you ship a guitar in the original carton and UPS denies the claim but they approved the box....do you see where I am going with this?"

Like maybe a black hole??

cliff
Posted 2004-02-26 12:05 PM (#193703 - in reply to #193671)

If it's UPS, it's a "Brown Hole".
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-26 3:26 PM (#193704 - in reply to #193671)

Man you guy's had to post this message now !!!!! I have my Adamas coming from AL should be here tomorrow! AL !!! ??!!@(&^^$! Al!!! Tell me about the packing again will ya? I love to here all about the peanuts, and foam, and tripple box, the incense rituals, sign of the cross, and the UPS personal care and.......I'm Sh*@@tin a brick here! Randy
cliff
Posted 2004-02-26 3:30 PM (#193705 - in reply to #193671)

chill.

It'll get ther fine. :cool:
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-26 3:54 PM (#193706 - in reply to #193671)

I know Figure I might sacrifice a chicken anyway?
cliff
Posted 2004-02-26 4:01 PM (#193707 - in reply to #193671)

Just get a bucket of KFC.

. . . make you WASH your friggin' fingers when the Adamas gets there!!
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-26 4:07 PM (#193708 - in reply to #193671)

KFC? Kaman Fret Conditioner? Finger-pickin
good?
alpep
Posted 2004-02-26 4:37 PM (#193709 - in reply to #193671)

cliff
tell him about the guitar I sent you.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-26 4:52 PM (#193710 - in reply to #193671)

$100 Chinese "dobro".
No HSC. Gig bag.
Arrived in PRISTINE condition!!
I didn't get any cardboard pizza boxes, but DID get a bunch of those papier-machie-kinda "holders" that you carry four coffee/soda cups in from the concession stand (those things worked REALLY good!!).
If your new guitar is coming from Al, the only thing I'd worry about is whether or not the UPS truck takes out your mailbox in the driveway.

relax (and enjoy).
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-26 5:19 PM (#193711 - in reply to #193671)

OK I feel better! F!!!k it - I'm gonna kill that dam chicken anyway! It's been a long cold winter up here. I have to post another question again
Northcountry
Posted 2004-02-26 5:48 PM (#193712 - in reply to #193671)

OK All at one time now "DEAR SAINT ADAMAS PLEASE WATCH OVER UPS TRACKING NUMBER" 9993337278383887661983655416 and forgive the slaughter of that dam chicken! ! AMEN
Bradley
Posted 2004-02-26 10:02 PM (#193713 - in reply to #193671)

Originally posted by Bradley:
Please don't tell me about UPS horror stories. I bought a hand made Haida Gwaii guitar from the luthier for $1500. He shippped it 3 day select. That was 2/17/2004. I just found out that the earliest delivery date is 2/27/2004. I looked at the status this morning and it said that my guitar was found left at a station in Kentucky. They better NOT charge me for 3 day service.

Bradley

They modified the posting and delivered it yesterday. The box had water damage, the writting was running down the side of the box. There was a two inch hole in the side of the box. The top of the box had been cut open and left that way! The good news is that the luthier really did a great job packing and their doesn't seem to be any damage to the guitar.

He did mention that the shipping should be free, I'll have to keep an eye out for the bill.

Bradley

p.s. This guitar is a mini-jumbo Indian rosewood #34. My paurlor guitar is an Indian rosewood #35. Both beauties.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)