The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
2-input on/off footswitch?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

iconocoustica
Posted 2004-02-26 8:11 AM (#193597)
Subject: 2-input on/off footswitch?

I am currently running 2 XLR outputs from my CE778, one a mic and the other the piezo. Do any of you performing gurus (e.g., Paul T) know of any footswitch that has 2 XLR in, 2XLR out that will cut off (and on) the output of both channels. Al, can you get such a thing? I just want to be able to cut all sound going to the amp without walking over to it, especially since when I get within 5 feet, it starts to wail! The O tuner will obviously cut the piezo output, but I would like to cut the piezo and the mic at the same time. I appreciate anyone's input on this.

Franklin
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-26 11:17 AM (#193598 - in reply to #193597)
Subject: Re: 2-input on/off footswitch?

I'm not aware of anything like this available commercially, but it would be pretty easy to make. What amp are you using? A possibility might be to run a volume pedal or an A/B box through your amps effects loop if it has one.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-26 11:34 AM (#193599 - in reply to #193597)

That would be easy enough to make.

Get a DPDT stomp switch, a box and some XLR connectors.

Assuming no phantom power...just use the swich to short the balanced signals from the mic and guitar. Read that again - thats SHORT, not open the signals. Open balanced line might induce hum when off.

If you have phantom power...you might have to do that with two footswitches, but have the advantage of either/or operation.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-26 11:40 AM (#193600 - in reply to #193597)

You guys make this too difficult. Plug in, add a little compression, a little reverb, and play.
alpep
Posted 2004-02-26 12:03 PM (#193601 - in reply to #193597)

whirlwind makes several splitters but they are not footswitchable. I be you can alter them though.

SPLIT 6
LINE LEVEL PARALLEL SPLITTER

Click here for larger picture
Use this handy box when you need to split a line level signal up to 6 times*. Features 1 female XLR input wired to 6 male XLR outputs. Perfect when adding extra amplifiers to a system, connecting multiple powered speakers, splitting intercom lines, etc.
*Line level outputs can usually be split 6 times without noticeable loss of signal quality. The actual number of splits that can be accomplished depends on the level of the source signal and the impedances of the source and destinations in a particular application. It is not recommended that the SPLIT 6 be used to split a microphone level signal to more than two outputs. Attempting to do so may result in poor frequency response and reduced signal level. The SPLIT 6 may be used to split microphone level signals in most applications if this limit is observed. For more information, please refer to tech article "High and Low Impedance".

WHEN WILL I NEED A SPLITTER?
As your sound system expands, it will eventually be necessary to provide additional mixes from locations other than the main mix position. Although it's possible to provide a separate monitor mix from the main console, a person located nearer to the performance area can hear what the performers hear, see their cues more easily and just generally be able to provide a better monitor mix.
Or you may be called upon to provide a separate mix for recording or broadcasting your performances. That mix will be at its best if the person providing it is isolated from the confusion of hearing the live sound. In any event, you'll most likely need to split your mic signals and feed more than one mixing console.
Read more about splitters in our tech article Microphone Splitters.

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/split.html
iconocoustica
Posted 2004-02-26 7:41 PM (#193602 - in reply to #193597)

Thanks for the replies. I agree that it should be easy enough to make-however, the extent of my electrical skills is making a ground-to-shell connection on an XLR cable as taught to me earlier by Paul T. I thought about a stereo volume pedal doing the trick, unfortunately, everyone I have seen has 1/4 inch I/O, but I guess I could always get a couple of impedance transformers. Paul T., your idea of an A/B switch through an effects send has me intrigued. I am playing through a Genz-Benz Shenandoah amp with effects send/return/cancel jacks. Would a switch here cut the entire signal? If it would work, is such a switch available? I think we may be on to something here! Paul M., I don't want a simple life, I mean, who do I look like, Paris Hilton? ;)

Franklin
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-26 8:52 PM (#193603 - in reply to #193597)

I was trying to think of an XLR equipped mute pedal & kinda remembered something I saw at NAMM. A quick web search & I found it. Turns out it wont do what you want, as it has XLR output, but not input. Here it is anyway, it's a VERY cool piece of kit. Combined Strobe tuner with mute/active DI box/power supply for other pedals. Not cheap though.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/VSS.htm
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-26 9:15 PM (#193604 - in reply to #193597)

If you want a drawing of how to wire it... send me an email
iconocoustica
Posted 2004-02-27 6:54 AM (#193605 - in reply to #193597)

PaulT.,

Would a tuner with a mute switch such as the Boss TU-2 run through the effect send/return with 1/4 cabling do the trick? It seems like you would be able to kill both amp channels at the same time that way. Since it wouldn't be in series with the guitar output, I wouldn,t need to worry about XLR. Plus, I would have a good tuner I could actually see on stage! What do you think?

Charlie B, if I can't solve this with a cheap manufactured piece, I will e-mail you for that schematic. Thanks for the offer.

Franklin
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-02-27 9:31 AM (#193606 - in reply to #193597)

If the effects loop is in series the TU2 should work fine to mute the amp. If it's a parralel loop it wont
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)