The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Scalloped bracing question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-02-26 12:39 PM (#193582)
Subject: Scalloped bracing question

The new LX series guitars feature braces that are scalloped. This is a method of bracing that companies like Martin have been using for years. What advantages does scalloped bracing provide? How do they affect tone quality?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mitchrx
Posted 2004-02-26 12:57 PM (#193583 - in reply to #193582)
Subject: Re: Scalloped bracing question

The purpose of scalloped bracing in to remove mass from the braces. The spruce tops require bracing to resist the string tension; however bracing adds mass to the top. The more mass in the top the less responsive it will be. In scalloping, some of the wood at the ends of the braces is removed but the strength of brace is mostly retained. The braces are therefore lighter which makes the top more responsive. Although there are many who despise Taylor guitars at this site, the Taylor website does have an excellent description, with photos, of how they do the scalloping. By the way, I also own a 1619.
John B
Posted 2004-02-26 1:20 PM (#193584 - in reply to #193582)

I own 2 Martins, both of which have spruce tops but one has scalloped bracing and the other has non-scalloped bracing. I personally don't think that the regular bracing takes much (if anyhting) away from the sound. To be fair, I play mostly "plugged in" so bracing issues really don't impact my sound. You do need to be careful not to use strings that are too heavy with the scalloped bracing. Martin recommends using Medium or lighter strings (which I think would suit most people's needs anyway). If you over-string the guitar, you can cause the top to buckle in the bridge area.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-26 4:09 PM (#193585 - in reply to #193582)

Heresey.... but Taylor ain't so bad. If I got another acoustic, I'd probably get one of thier Jumbo's
alpep
Posted 2004-02-26 4:36 PM (#193586 - in reply to #193582)

I used to get them fried but broiled is nice too
so is "coquilles St. Jacques"
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-02-26 4:46 PM (#193587 - in reply to #193582)

I found this an interesting topic, as we're all striving for the quality sound. As for the 1619, I own one also, 1981 Sunburst. I also own a Taylor 514CE. I don't know why they would be despised on this site. They are a bit overpriced, and Ovation Guitars (USA made) certaintly are high quality, with beter electronics. I had just ordered the Legend 1777LX. Ovation can score a real hit with this LX bracing sound, as we all know, Ovations (as opposed to Martins) are made to be played above the 5th fret.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-26 5:10 PM (#193588 - in reply to #193582)

". . . Coquilles St. Jacques . . ."

OH!! Now you went and struck a "nerve", Al!!!
(excuse me while I salivate all over my keyboard . . )
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-26 8:07 PM (#193589 - in reply to #193582)

My concern with the scalloped bracing is that it HAS TO hurt the strength of the top. It means that these guitars will have more of a tendency for the tops to pull up, get wavy, etc.

I'm very interested in comparing the sound of an LX to the current regular mid-bowl model between the same model of guitar to see just how much better it is, and if the improved sound seems worth it.

I would agree that a less-durable guitar with fantastic sound is more desirable than a durable guitar with good sound.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Ovation 1777-4 Legend 6-string
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-26 8:19 PM (#193590 - in reply to #193582)

I would love to weigh in with a strong opinion on the LX's but I have yet to find one in Southern California. I'll keep looking. At the Guitar Centers, they don't even know what they are.
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-02-26 8:39 PM (#193591 - in reply to #193582)

Unfortunetly, you won't find the LX''s at the Guitar Center or Sam Ash for that matter. They don't seem to stock the higher many end Ovations.
I ordered mine through Musicians friend.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-02-27 6:12 AM (#193592 - in reply to #193582)

For me, the greater issue with the LX's is the X-brace pattern. We all know this isn't a new idea...it's been used by all the other companies for a long time. I always thought my Ovations were cool partly because they had this "better design" with the fan bracing. Ovation seemed to think so! Why all of a sudden are we "discovering" scalloped X-bracing? ( I don't mean to throw this hand grenade onto the discussion table...I'll stick with Ovation. I just like to ask some hard Q's). Any answers out there? John.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-27 8:09 AM (#193593 - in reply to #193582)

I bought my first Ovation in 1972 and it had the "better" bracing pattern, a VT something. I thought it was fine, and later, in 1978 I bought a Legend, also with the VT pattern. Over the years, I gradually came to realize that neither guitar had any bass. It wasn't until the "A" bracing pattern became available on more of the Ovation line and I bought one (1537 Elite), that I heard a really full sound from Ovation.

I don't think Ovation had to have a great acoustic sound in the 70's. Everybody was playing them for the plugged in sound. In the 80's, when the acoustic sound became really good again (more on that "again" in a second), it was good, but it didn't make that much difference as Ovation moved further into the plugged in sound. Finally in the 90's, they were all the way there and the vast majority of the Ovation line went to shallow or super shallow bowls. The straight acoustic sound didn't matter.

Last year I rescued, for a friend, from an ebay auction, a 1967-68 Deluxe Balladeer. I heard for the first time how good Ovations sound in the very early years. Since then, I found and bought one for myself. It is easily one of the best acoustics I've ever played. I think a big part of that is the "X" bracing pattern, similar to what Ovation used in the late 60's.

What's interesting about this is now, when I watch ebay, the early 70's Balladeers and Custom Balladeers catch my eye. They have the "X" bracing pattern.

So to recap, in the 60's Ovation made a great acoustic guitar. In the 70's they got away from that. They came back again in the 80's and went away again in the 90's. Now they are moving back again. Seems like from 1970 on they were on a 10 year cycle.

The Adamas guitars aren't part of all of the above.

All of this is IMHO.
BalladeerFun
Posted 2004-02-27 9:05 AM (#193594 - in reply to #193582)

It's funny this discussion about scalloped bracing came up because I was discussing this with a guy last night about his 1971 Martin D-28. He plays it pretty much every night at gigs and it's his workhorse.. (bluegrass, country and blues).. Martin did not have the scalloped bracing in the early seventies and made their guitars "tough and durable".. This made the guitar sound dull and muffuled (sp?).. Well he sent his D-28 to a guy in Pheonix to get the bracing scalloped. Difficult to do because it's done through the round hole. The difference in the sound is rather remarkable.. It brought out a real brightness and depth in the guitar and it hasn't had any structural effect on the guitar during the past 5 years... He won't send his 1956 D-18 to him tho because of some cracks in the top.. I am wondering tho if it might be worth the "test" to send an unscalloped "tester" ovation to him to have him scallop the bracing to see if it might bring some more depth to the acoustic sound..
If anyone would like the guys name and number in Pheonix I can get it to who ever would like it..
Gerald
bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-02-27 1:01 PM (#193595 - in reply to #193582)

Hey Gerald, this guy in Phoenix...is that 'Parabolic Braceworks'? I saw his add a few years ago in AG magazine and called him about working in my early 80's CL 12 string. He told me that since there were no back braces in my guitar he wouldn't charge me as much. He was talking around $400. The work included thinning out the bridge around the edges to reduce mass there. Talked for quite a while and it all sounded very impressive,though I never had it done. Anyway... I guess one would have to have a higher-end Ovation to justify the price. John.
BalladeerFun
Posted 2004-02-29 7:24 PM (#193596 - in reply to #193582)

Hey John,
I'm not sure who it is but I'll be seeing Mark, (the guy who got his D-28 worked on) this Wed. so I'll get all the info from him then... I'd be interested in just buying a regular Balladeer off of e-bay and recording some things played on it then sending it off and seeing what he can do with it... I figure it might be worth trying it out on an Ovation... I'll have all the information on Thursday...
Best to Ya!
Gerald
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)