The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Perfect 12, ...and the pursiut of happiness...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

MWoody
Posted 2004-02-29 7:09 PM (#193488)
Subject: Perfect 12, ...and the pursiut of happiness...

After kissing many a GAS Contagious post and becoming near possessed at the idea of conceptualizing the perfect 12 string (for me) I have pestered, annoyed and inquired of several persons to try and figure it out. I would like to open myself up to this board for their supportive input... and everything else that usaully comes out (me being one of the more guilty). I would value your opinions!

Given:
A custom order Adamas.
A deep bowl. "LX" lighter would be nice if available!
12 string Baritone - can be capoed to act like a "normal" 12 with greater options for a depth of sound like few others. If you go custom make it count.
Non-cutaway.
Multi-hole.

Open:
Electronics - The High Output pickups with which pre-amp set up? I like the potential upgradability of the new shape pre-amps.

Necks - I need to be educated on the difference in necks used. I don't have a preference over slothead or MERB or ??? Which is more practicle? Is there a limitation due to the mount?

Top - Is the sound that much better with a textured top? Are the fibers laid differently than CVT, SMT? I saw a glossy topped CVT - plus or minus?

Epaulets - Can they be inlaid and smooth finished like the "LX" multi-holes? Is there a sound benefit to go with bare holes?

Color - Will this be the toughest one for this crowd? Personally I do not like blue, reverse burst and most of the reds. Flame me, call me un-ovational or whatever. Black, White, Silver? The grain if you will of the CVT looks interesting. What are some of your ideas?

Purfling - I have seen the "wooden rope" edge of the earlies and customs. It is nice. What are some less traditional possibilities?

With your help I might be picking it up at the 2005 OFC Factory Tour! It could even become the signature model for fat middle aged guy's that play in church and know four chords! The Pewmaker? The Big Woody? Throw those names at me too.

Let the byts fly! May the web be filled with creative wanderings! And G-A-S!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-29 7:17 PM (#193489 - in reply to #193488)
Subject: Re: Perfect 12, ...and the pursiut of happiness...

I've always wanted a Big Woodie.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-29 7:34 PM (#193490 - in reply to #193488)

And this is why you are considered the Boards what??? :D Paul, I was looking up to you man! You are my hero! I want a custom-Ovation-perfect-guitar-settle-my-GAS-for now-and I'm only 45 - you have inspired me! Sit back with a couple of Margaritas and help me with my situation.

This is just one of the legacies of my name I have carried throughout and so far. There are worse... I'm told.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-02-29 7:34 PM (#193491 - in reply to #193488)

Okie-dokie...as the happy owner of two 12-strings, I can tell you what I would go for....nothing against Adamas', but I would go for a wood-top round-sound-hole 12-fret deep-bowl, myself. My Glen Campbell slothead sounds BETTER (blasphemy, I know) than my Melissa Etheridge. Not that the ME sounds BAD, it actually sounds very GOOD. But the GC has aged in and I prefer the tone. Also has gobs more volume(my wife pointed this out).

Electronics? Oh, if you MUST. Anything wrong with a pure acoustic???? Throw in the new package from the LX and go.

Neck....the ME neck with the K-bar is HEAVY...like a boat anchor(the center of gravity of the guitar seems low on the neck). Go for the 5-piece neck with the newer bracing. Go slothead for that classic vibe if you can. It is a pain to change strings, though.

Top....go WOODy!!!

Color...I'll agree with cwk2, go for the Tamale-burst!!!

Purfing....I'd just go for the Custom Legend look, myself.

My name...."Stepping Up To The Mike"....

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Ovation 1777-NAT Legend 6-string
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-29 7:44 PM (#193492 - in reply to #193488)

OAO,
You are beautiful man! Your idea sounds more like a Custom Elite LX 12 Longneck. I won't have to think about what to cover the belly-button with.
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-29 7:48 PM (#193493 - in reply to #193488)

Go with the bare holes. The shaved look should produce more sound. It does in other applications! Why not something truly original on the color...simulated burl maple comes to mind.
Upgradable electronics make sense if not going full acoustic. "The Saint" sounds like a good name & fits in with what you do. Abalone inlays & purfling. The neck probably needs to be one like on the Q "concept guitar". You should probably go with whatever appears in your next vision of the perfect guitar.
Bradley
Posted 2004-02-29 8:01 PM (#193494 - in reply to #193488)

You know what color I would want? A while back someone posted a custom Ovation on EBay. It was a beautiful metalic gold color. Anyone else remember seeing it. I think they wanted around 3K for it.

Bradley
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-29 8:22 PM (#193495 - in reply to #193488)

Woodrow:

The Custom Elite LX 12 string concept does sound very very good. If Ovation comes out with it, it would be something.

I understand that desire to special order your dream guitar. I'm much much older than you (49 vs. 45) and at this point, intend to order a special LX for my 50th (approaching 50 is also why I'm nostolgic to have Big Woo.... no, I won't go there).

But if we're going to talk about best 12 strings (and it is purely subjective -- there's no right or wrong answer), then I've got to go with Big Blue, my 1993 Adamas 12 string. I've yet to hear anything better. But that's my ear, not yours.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-02-29 9:16 PM (#193496 - in reply to #193488)

OK - you asked for it ... IF IT WAS ME (and I wish it was), I would go after something that is one of a kind AND is probably the best sounding 12 string anyone will ever hear.

Basically what you want is an original style Adamas deep bowl, non-cutaway, textured top. But you want a TWELVE FRET neck with a slotted headstock. Think of an Adamas body with an old Custom Legend 12 slothead neck. Gloss finish the neck, walnut facing on the headstock. Optima or OP-Pro electronics. For color I would go with reverse blue fade or red fade.

I'm getting GAS just writing this !!!!

Dave
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-29 9:28 PM (#193497 - in reply to #193488)

PeterB, I do like the shaved hole concept if it's a carbon top. I just ran through the "Q" site - I have no doubt we'll be playing those on the manned Mars mission - It looks tough... and costly. That would make this a custom-custom-custom-Q (Q cubed?)! White and Pearl everywhere.

Moody, what is the bracing and neck configuration of "Big Blue"? From my understanding It's Top, Neck, Neck attachment and bridge that effect sound.

Dave, I have wrestled with the 12th fret connection. I am considering the baritone scale as part of what is special about it as well.

You guys are all right! Bring on the GAS!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-29 10:03 PM (#193498 - in reply to #193488)

Woodrow:

Most of the sound is in the top. The neck attachment and configuration, and the bridge, don't contribute much.

It's the top material and bracing (from all I've heard and experienced) that make the difference. Big Blue is an original Adamas, with the textured top and the Adamas style bracing.

With the new LX series, the adavantage of the new neck assembly and attachment and bracing is in the lightness of it. The Kaman Bar, while rigid as, well, a Big Woodie, was heavy as all get out. Lighter neck means easier to play. New method of attachment means that the neck angle will be correct (more correct?). But sound... that's in the top.

Dave, you may have something there with a 12 fret 12 string, slothead, and a textured top. I've got to think that this might be the best sound of all.

With two margaritas in me, this was not easy to type.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-29 10:18 PM (#193499 - in reply to #193488)

You did pretty good spelling correcter-er.
Let me fuel thought here for a bit.
Is there a reason that a wood top Longneck (or other) couldn't have a carbon top placed on it?

So far the Texture top and Adamas (I) bracing rule. Are those applyable to other bodies?

I'm thinking newer style neck, bowl and textured top with OP Pro. Won't need the scalloped brace technique.

The Woodster, Woodman, Woody, Big Woody, et al
stringinstrument
Posted 2004-02-29 10:35 PM (#193500 - in reply to #193488)

Alright, I'll jump in on this one. I have an old 1115-4, about 1977 vintage. I have played many a 12 string, and have not heard anything as sweet, or as easy to play as this. It is a 12 fretter non cutaway. There are time when I wish the upper frets were easier to access, but for the most part I'm not up there on 12. I have been thinking about adding a pickup so that I can play it out, but am having a hard time thinking about cutting into it. Anyway, If you are going to have one made, go wood! If you have it for a long time it will age in so nice. I have my first guitar that I bought 30 years ago and it has aged in to be a much better guitar than it was then. Good luck on your quest!! Show us a picture when you get it.

Glenn

Posted 2004-02-29 10:38 PM (#193501 - in reply to #193488)

Glenn:

Congrats on having a 12 string that suites you so well. As I always tell people, I don't ask that you feel about my guitars the way that I do. I hope that you feel about your guitars the same way that I feel about mine.

You can put in an undersaddle pickup and only have to drill a small hole thru the bridge and top for the wire. Then put the output jack where the end pin is. If you decide to take it out, nobody will know.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-02-29 10:39 PM (#193502 - in reply to #193488)

I'm standing in line for the 31st Anniversary Custom Legend slothead 12-fret, non-cutaway, full bowl, 12-string, OP-Pro, and Bear Claw spruce.
MWoody
Posted 2004-02-29 11:02 PM (#193503 - in reply to #193488)

Tony, What if that has to be the 35th Anniversary model? I feel soooo impatient in hearing about what lies ahead. Those attending the Tour - I hope you get to ask a LOT of penetrating questions about what's next.

Wood Top vs. Textured - If a AAA Wood Top Custom cost you $3000 and the T-Top cost $4000 would it be worth the difference?

StringedInstrument - And your pics are going up when??? With that arsenal you have got to share?

BTW - See the New Post.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-02-29 11:18 PM (#193504 - in reply to #193488)

The 1658 slothead is in the amazing and capable hands at the factory...taking the top down and refinishing it.

I will wait. However, I am amazed at the difference between the 1619 and the 30th Anniv Bear Claw spruce.
Beal
Posted 2004-03-01 7:53 AM (#193505 - in reply to #193488)

I think you really want the long neck. Gives you 14 to play with but the body of a 12 fret for the soouuund. Get the new lite bowl and the new neck rod system. I'd suggest the old style texture top, they sound great and require less finish. Which bridge, you need to decide. How about the regular Ovation bridge in ebony and have an ebony f/b. You decide the inlays. Neck Material, how about Maple? might be too heavy so then mahogony or walnut. You decide. I would go for a thin gloss finish, not the oiled one. slot or flat??? Up to you.
Now what color, how about Silver with a black bowl and silver flecks on it. Would look good with the ebony and maple neck with an ebony veneer on the peghead. The chrome logo.
For what it's worth, there's a suggestion. I think you'll have many more night dreaming about this before you get all the combinations right.
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-01 10:23 AM (#193506 - in reply to #193488)

CWK2,

Thanks! You are right about the thinking about over and over part. It really helps to hear the insight from knowledgable people - priceless.

Longneck full/lite bowl, new neck system, textured top, ebony fretboard, ebony bridge, OP Pro and H/O P/u. Ebony Veneer on the Flathead with a (5 piece?) maple neck. I like the gloss neck on my Elite. Shaved epaulets. Light gloss over the top. Yeah Baby!

Hey PaulM - I could have little "Woody" inlays!

CWK2 - I know you worked as a Team, but was there any one special project that totally took you over until you had it - and you knew it was awesome and good when it came out the other end?
Beal
Posted 2004-03-01 11:02 AM (#193507 - in reply to #193488)

Maple could be 1 or 2 pieces. The factory may really not want to do it and then you use your second choice. I guess the best project was getting Coast Wholesale of LA and SF and C Bruno of San Antonio and Bloomfield, and Ovation and the String company to work together as a team.
Northcountry
Posted 2004-03-01 8:38 PM (#193508 - in reply to #193488)

The good thng is Ovation has enough GREAT models to make the perfect guitar for all of us! I am a woodworker and to be honest If I had'nt fell in love with the 1688-7, many years before I could afford one, I might not have tried, and bought, an old deep body classical fifteen years ago. Plastic Back! YUCK Figured it for a bad sound! Boy was I wrong ! That had the deepest, fullest sounds I ever heard come out of a guitar Wood or not! I too have had other twelve strings and in my humble opinion This Adamas 12 is so full of sound it is almost too much at times. I can't here myself sing, unplugged, when I dig into the strings and I swear you can still here it ringing a little after you set it down. It is alive. Again Ovation makes the best of the best for all of us. It's all apples and oranges in the end. What ever makes you beem with pride when you open up the case and show it off, then pick it up and knock-em dead. That's what makes it for me. I can't believe how many musicians I know that have not really looked at one of these Ovations. I know I will make a few customers out of some of these guy's They will be headed Al's way Too if I have any say. If you have'nt played an Adamas Try one and dig into it they respond ! Nice job Ovation! Again! Randy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)