The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Preacher Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

stellarjim
Posted 2004-03-01 7:09 PM (#193398)
Subject: Preacher Question

Hey guys...I need your solidbody expertise. I have a Preacher that I enjoy playing. However, the pickup switch has me stumped. With the switch in the bridge position, the bridge pickup works. When the switch is in the neck position, the neck pickup works. However, when the switch is in the center position, neither work. I've always felt the switch was broken but a friend is telling me that's normal for Preachers.
Can anyone shed some light on whether or not my friend is a moron. Thanks.
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-01 7:33 PM (#193399 - in reply to #193398)
Subject: Re: Preacher Question

Your friend is a moron and the switch is broken.
Beal
Posted 2004-03-01 7:52 PM (#193400 - in reply to #193398)

It depends which model it is, regular or the preecheur deluxe.
In either case your friend is OTL.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-01 7:59 PM (#193401 - in reply to #193398)

Ditto what CWK2 said. By the way, they are proprietary switches. If you need one, email me.

mileskb@aol.com
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-01 8:21 PM (#193402 - in reply to #193398)

I never knew that they were propriatory (sp?). I'm always amazed at how much of Ovation is.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-01 11:46 PM (#193403 - in reply to #193398)

I think in many ways, especially on the solidbodies, Ovation was too forward-thinking for thier own good.

Frets, electronics, bridges, pickups, neck style, all of it. I think had Ovation never done a solidbody, and then decided to do them today, or maybe 10 years ago, they would have really been successful in that arena. In the 80's if it looks like a Les Paul, you put DiMarzio's in it, if it looked like a strat, you put Duncans in it. And of course other than some folks like Carvin, everyone and their uncle was OEM'n Dimarzio's or Duncans. Today, there are many custom pickup companies making special winding pickups for all sorts of guitars, in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Most stick to the standard single or double size, which may have been Ovations single biggest mistake. If they made the same pickups as in the Viper, Preacher, and UKII's but on a standard platform, things I'm sure would have been different. Unfortunatly, making a pickup cover "just for show" isn't very Connecticut Yankee, and would have been a waste of plastic, so in that day it wasn't going to happen.

Anyway, back to my point. If you watch not MTV so much, but shows like Carson Daily, and Conan, and Letterman when they have bands... There is still a lot of the Fender and Gibson name, but many many many other names, more than ever before, are popping up on headstocks.

You can't re-create history, well not easily, but I truly believe that if they released the UKII's and Breadwinners, and Preachers in more recent years, like maybe 1990 instead of 1980, the general solidbody landscape would have been a little different. A re-release would not be good as the idea's are no longer innovative. They would be seen as copies of those who copied them originally.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)