The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Huzzah! Another Convert!!!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-03-02 7:31 AM (#193370)
Subject: Huzzah! Another Convert!!!

A friend of mine (Mike) from Church is a typical "guitarslinger" and plays a Les Paul Standard and a Yamaha Acoustic... He has seen/played my Balladeers and told me that he was trying to decide which Breedlove guitar he was going to buy. Indicating their better quality and prestige.

I showed him my 2001 RW about 3 months ago and he was quite impressed.

I played last week with our Church group for the Special Music during the Church service. I played my 2001. After the service, Mike came rushing down to see me and was really excited about the way the 2001 sounded through the Church sound system.... :cool:

He then told me that he had been to the Guitar Center in San Bernardino and they had an Elite Pewter WAY UP on the wall.... he asked them to get it down and...... yep, he bought the Elite Pewter INSTEAD of the Breedlove!!! :D

Another "flatback" bites the dust!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-02 8:02 AM (#193371 - in reply to #193370)
Subject: Re: Huzzah! Another Convert!!!

That's terrific. Another story about how, if you listen with your ears, and not with your biases, you will pick an Ovation over other high priced guitars.
peterbright
Posted 2004-03-02 8:45 AM (#193372 - in reply to #193370)

I have to say the Elite T's have great sound for the price. It spoils you for some of the more "expensive" models of all makes.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-02 8:54 AM (#193373 - in reply to #193370)

I played a mid depth bowl Elite T and was amazed at the sound I got from it. It's a wonderful guitar that competes with guitars twice it's price.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-03-02 9:00 AM (#193374 - in reply to #193370)

At the risk of being called a heretic, I will opine that a $2000 Breedlove with rosewood back and sides will sound better unplugged than most Ovations.

However, as a worship musician who has played a lot of different guitars through a variety of systems, I can tell you that a pewter top Elite T will probably sound as good when plugged in and run through the system. Ovation has made excellent preamps available on well-priced guitars. Further, I found that the Elite T models I tried sounded surprisingly good played au naturel.

Two more things: who wants to leave a $2000 all wood guitar sitting on the stand after church where someone might accidentally knock it over? AND if I can buy THREE Elite T guitars for the price of one Breedlove, the decision is a no-brainer.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-02 9:09 AM (#193375 - in reply to #193370)

Breedloves are wonderful guitarw. A little too bass heavy for my tastes, but wonderful. Acoustically, a $2000 Breedlove might be better than a $700 Elite T. But let's compare the Breedlove to a Legend LX. It's going to be a different sound, but I would contend that the quality is going to be there in both.

My old 1537 Elite doesn't sound like a 20 year old D28. But with the richness and fullness, it's a comperable guitar, acoustically, or plugged in.
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-03-02 11:07 AM (#193376 - in reply to #193370)

I play my 1612 at Church, like a lot of you guys. Ovation has a pretty good following, it seems, in the "church" environment, at least around here. Taylor does as well. Last weekend, we had our 4th annual Worship Workshop in the Woods (WWW4), which has evolved into a really special time for a bunch of us. We even have guys from the Ft. Lauderdale area who drive up here (St. Petersburg, FL) every year to be a part. I'll post pictures when I get them...

Anyway, got to hear LOTS of guitars plugged in to the same equipment. Most sounded marginal, & I'm being kind. One of my friends plugged in his Elite (2003?). That guitar sounded AMAZING. Blew everything else away. I got a few compliments on mine as well. The Taylors to me sounded about the same, good but not great; adequate, but not much soul. I can't believe how much money people will drop on them. Another guy (from the Ft. Lauderdale group)was brandishing his new Balladeer, VERY pretty. Think it was a 1771, cherry cherry burst.

I'm making a few believers at my new church, one at a time. They just don't WANT to believe, until they actually hear the guitar. Then they're surprised.
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-02 11:59 AM (#193377 - in reply to #193370)

Would that make us "born-again-againers" or "Born-again Ovationists"?
I have been just amazed at the testimony/sharing opportunities I've had lately that either start with Faith and lead to our guitars or start with our guitars and lead back to how we express our faith. I was blown away at how many of our Youth recognized that I had an LX and were totally up on Ovations. They have got some cool guitars themselves!

I'm also finding a lot of people at work that have been "Ovationists" all along. I keep evangelizing the OFC Board.

It's been a blessing.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-03-02 12:13 PM (#193378 - in reply to #193370)

I've always wanted to do "The Old Rugged Cross" in swing tempo at about 90 beats per minute (a la Frank Sinatra). Somehow I dont thing that would fly. We're more "My Jesus I Love Thee" at 30 beats per minute. Sigh.

Of course occasionally we sing "Amazing Grace" to the Gilligans Island theme music. That works.
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-03-02 12:24 PM (#193379 - in reply to #193370)

"Amazing Grace" works really well played to "House of the Rising Sun". And everybody and their brother knows the guitar part.
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-02 12:39 PM (#193380 - in reply to #193370)

Among the must haves are "Blind Boys of Alabama" Amazing Grace done to House of the Rising Sun. I've heard about the Gilligin's Island run... just too scary...

Try Amazing Grace to the old Coca Cola - "I'd like to teach the World to sing" tune. Send it in rounds with some ad libs.

Enjoy
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-02 12:45 PM (#193381 - in reply to #193370)

Let me add one - We've done re-makes of the Monkee's "I'm a Believer" (trying to get the full "wipe-out" riffs in there) and Beatle's "Eight Days a Week".

As the Theologian Bob Dylan said "You gotta serve somebody".
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-03-02 1:13 PM (#193382 - in reply to #193370)

Originally posted by MWoody:
Would that make us "born-again-againers" or "Born-again Ovationists"?

Actually, I would be called a "Lifer," as my Balladeer was my first guitar. You're right about the kids clueing into Ovation, I just wish more of them had mid to deep bowl models.

Have you heard Todd Agnew's "Grace Like Rain" ?
It takes Amazing Grace & adds a really cool,
modern melody to it. Sounds awesomwe with a single acoustic guitar, VERY easy chords. Suitable for worship. Might want to keep it away from the "frozen chosen," though. They may not appreciate their hymns being "messed with." Todd has that "3 pack a day" kind of voice, really gives the song an edge. I don't have that, but I do my best...
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-02 1:22 PM (#193383 - in reply to #193370)

It's not always easy to turn the "Hymns" into "Hims" is it? I'll look that one up.

My latest divergance has been Andrew Peterson. His Love and Thunder mixes New/Blue Grass with a contemporary guitar sound... and penetrating lyrics.
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-03-02 1:47 PM (#193384 - in reply to #193370)

MWoody, ever done "The Word" by the Beatles? Great congregation participation song. Something new for the typical "praise and worship" contemporary services.

P.S. I saw the Blind Boys a few months back (Kaki King opened for them) and they didn't do Amazing Grace, but, WOW!, what a show!
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-02 3:04 PM (#193385 - in reply to #193370)

"Blind Boys" low tech and all soul! I may be a total Anglo when I step in my Chevy Pickup truck but after popping in their CD and cruisin for for a while I'm in the heart of the deep south, moan'in and beller'in like I'd voted for Clinton.

Thanks for the the lead on the "Word".

Tim Chapman - You started this post and once again I took a tang... er mob-bed.. er went of in another direction. Congrats on the PA! And my Grandpa B played banjo - it's ok. The only songs he knew was a medley of Work'in on the Railroad/Someone's in the Kitchen with Dinah and Popeye the Sailor Man. It's amazing what two World Wars can do to a guy!
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-03-02 3:17 PM (#193386 - in reply to #193370)

MWoody,

My only redeeming factor regarding the Banjo is that it is a 6-string! Not one of those 5-string thingys... my heart is still pure guitar thru and thru!

As for the PA... it's perfect for small to medium Churchy things.... Memorial Services, Weddings, Socials, Parties... it also has an input for a CD player..

really cool... check the web site in my other posting..

p.s. We played "Old Rugged Cross" (1st position "C" and capo 5th "G") and "Will There Be Any Stars In My Crown" (same chordings).... had very nice comments.
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-03-02 5:24 PM (#193387 - in reply to #193370)

MWoody "Blind Boys" low tech and all soul!

Robert Randolph played pedal steel for them that night, and he was awesome. Thier other two guitarists played Stratocasters, and both were very competent. Might be a little on the low tech side, but boy-o-boy did they make a lotta good music.

Imagine, winning a Grammy (Album of the Year - Gospel) 53 years after you cut your first record ... and then winning one again the next year!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)