The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
LX Balladeer vs. LX Legend

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

blandoon
Posted 2004-03-02 12:41 PM (#193360)
Subject: LX Balladeer vs. LX Legend

As a moderately incompetent electric (UK2) player, I've decided to take the plunge and get an acoustic guitar. It gives me something decent to spend the tax refund on, plus I hope I can get someone (or myself) to make use of it at my wedding this fall.

I'm looking longingly at the new LX models, but I'm wondering what the major difference between the two roundholes is (Standard Balladeer or Legend). It looks like it's just the bridge and neck materials, the neck finish, and the grade of spruce used in the top... is that all? Also, if any of you have played both these models (LX or otherwise), how would you rate the qualitative differences?

Since this is my first acoustic and I don't really know what I'm looking at, I think I'll rely on the guidance of experts. This is a great forum you have here, so thanks in advance for any insights.

Blandon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-02 12:57 PM (#193361 - in reply to #193360)
Subject: Re: LX Balladeer vs. LX Legend

Consider -

How much do I have to spend - with the new O's you can jump up in features and quality with a minimal cost increase!

Try to get your hands on as many examples as you possibly can. Not always easy.

Check the onlines and with Al before pushing the buy button.

When you do buy and it has been shipped - Do not look at newspapers, TV News or any other media. All you will hear about is shipping tragedy after tragedy.

Go for it!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-02 2:04 PM (#193362 - in reply to #193360)

Go with the best guitar you can afford. If you can afford the extra for the Legend over the Balladeer, get it. All the differences you mentioned play a part in making it a better guitar. Not to say that the Balladeer LX is not a great guitar, it is. But the Legend is better.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-03-02 2:13 PM (#193363 - in reply to #193360)

I just got my Legend LX in today. It is awesome. You will love this guitar!
dvd
Posted 2004-03-02 2:37 PM (#193364 - in reply to #193360)

I've got the Balladeer LX. Love it. Like the others said, though, get the best guitar you can afford.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-03-02 6:06 PM (#193365 - in reply to #193360)

Had a chance to try a bunch of new Ovations in the iso booth at the NAMM show & the guitars that really stood out for me were a Ltd edition Custom Legend, the 12-fret Adamas slot-head & a Balladeer LX. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Remember that every guitar is unique, & spending more money does not always equate to a pro-rata improvement in tone. Trust your ears, not the catalog spec or the degree of ornamentation. Some of the best vintage guitars I've played or owned have been "budget" models. I play & enjoy my old Deluxe Balladeer as much as I play my custom-built Folklore.
blandoon
Posted 2004-03-04 10:56 AM (#193366 - in reply to #193360)

Thanks for the advice, everyone... I'm tentatively leaning toward the Balladeer, not only because of price, but because of its slightly simpler looks (chrome hardware, smaller rosette, and all). But first I'm going to see if Chuck Levin's has any, so I can find out how much of a difference the gloss neck makes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)