The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Of Martins and Open Mic Sessions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-06 4:14 PM (#192933)
Subject: Of Martins and Open Mic Sessions

Until last night I had never been to an open mike session. Huber-Breese puts on a "Folk Friday" once a month. Last night they had Martin Guitars in as a guest. Martin came in for two days with a bunch of demos and some very special ones just for show. They had one done up in dragons, the 700,000th one made, and number 1 million. That million one looked like a piece of jewelry. Gems, pearl, gold, the works. Very striking. Two factory reps where there. One was the president. They gave a little history of the company then gave way to the open mike session. The stage had a dozen Martins lit up for display. Everyone was provided with a new Martin to play (except the guy with the banjo).
In the session two guys get up, one with a guitar and one with a bow. Okay I thought...a little fiddle music. Then the guy brings out a 3-1/2 ft. crosscut saw, puts the handle between his knees, bends the blade, and applies the bow. He played Roy Orbison's "Crying". Very, very cool.
Even my Ovation shirt could not subdue the power of the M last night. Everyone went out of there more "Martinized" than a three piece suit at the dry cleaners.
Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
peterbright
Posted 2004-03-06 4:17 PM (#192934 - in reply to #192933)
Subject: Re: Of Martins and Open Mic Sessions

Perhaps Ovation could do something similar.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-06 4:19 PM (#192935 - in reply to #192933)

Maybe they have and I just missed it.
By the way....the place was packed.
Brad
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-03-06 4:33 PM (#192936 - in reply to #192933)

Brad, I saw that on their website and forgot about it. Would have been interesting! If I didn't have Ovations, I'd have Martins......

Would also have given me an excuse to do recon on what they have for Ovations. Haven't been there since I bought my ME in November.

I think Ovation sponsors other things, like the Al DiMeola tour. The problem that we have in the Michigan area is that we don't have a single strong Ovation dealer that would warrant a tour stop. Huber and Breese is as good as it gets and they would obviously rather sell you a Martin, Taylor or Gibson. At least that was the feeling I got when I bought my ME 12-string there.....

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Ovation 1777-NAT Legend 6-string
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-06 4:51 PM (#192937 - in reply to #192933)

Roger,
As Obi-Wan said to Luke..."There is another". Coming back form skiing at Alpine Valley near Poniac, I saw "Guitar World". Lots of different Ovations. Even an Adamas.
Brad
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-03-06 5:53 PM (#192938 - in reply to #192933)

Not to split hairs, but...
If memory serves me right, Obi Wan said that to someone else, as Luke had just run off. It was in response to this other character saying something like "He was our last hope..." Man, I hate CRS. :D

Anyway, Brad, at least you had the shirt on. Could have gotten a conversation started. You never know...
Jimlew
Posted 2004-03-06 5:58 PM (#192939 - in reply to #192933)

Brad,
Jimlew
Posted 2004-03-06 6:00 PM (#192940 - in reply to #192933)

Brad,
Where is this "Guitar World" located?
Thanks
Jim
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-06 6:17 PM (#192941 - in reply to #192933)

JohnnyMac.
Your Right....It was Yoda that said "There is another". I guess I better turn in my light saber.
Jimlew,
On M-59 about 3 miles east of Alpine Valley. Right near Zero-Gravity Skatepark.
Brad
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-06 7:28 PM (#192942 - in reply to #192933)

"Perhaps Ovation could do something similar."

We can!

Local gatherings of the OFC in central locations to inspire, enthuse and put great guitars in the hands of people.
peterbright
Posted 2004-03-06 7:36 PM (#192943 - in reply to #192933)

Great idea!
xnoel
Posted 2004-03-06 7:43 PM (#192944 - in reply to #192933)

Although it was not as elaborate as the Martin show evidently was, the Matt Smith clinic I attended in Oklahoma City had a lot of O's, Celebrities up to a ME. Everyone got to pick one off the wall or one of the stands and play along with Matt. This was at Oklahoma Vintage Guitar/Best Price Guitars. The Ovation rep for this area was there. If you get a chance to attend one of Matt's clinics, do it!

So, Ovation does do some of these types of events. I realize that many fans are not close enough to attend, but when we have the opportunity and I would say obligation (especially considering some of the comments we make from time to time) to support our favorite guitar maker, lets do it!
Noel
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-03-06 8:13 PM (#192945 - in reply to #192933)

Having seen Matt do one of his Ovation Chop Shops I know that everyone who attends, regardless of ability, has the opportunity to learn something that will make them a better player.

I saw the "millionth Martin" at NAMM. Very fancy, incredible inlay work, but from the average player's perspective it's about as relevant as the Musical Saw you described
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-07 7:53 AM (#192946 - in reply to #192933)

Yeah....there in not much function to that Martin, but don't underestimate the guy with the saw. He was good.
Brad
Beal
Posted 2004-03-07 8:14 AM (#192947 - in reply to #192933)

Which Martin did he use the saw on?
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-07 8:49 AM (#192948 - in reply to #192933)

cwk2.....I was just waiting for someone to make that connection.
Brad
aceboympk
Posted 2004-03-08 10:21 PM (#192949 - in reply to #192933)

Very interesting to be a Martin player and a new Ovation owner reading this thread. Oh, I suppose I couldn't pass up on grabbing one of the "refurbished" 2003 Collectos' Series for a bargain from MF. Thanks to everyone who added their opinions on this forum about the design of this model. I was compelled to find out about the Ovation sound in light of the criticism I found on this forum.

So, many of you may be curious what do I think. Maybe some of you don't care, but for those who do, I must say that I enjoy playing it so far. Impressive workmanship and the sound? Well its not similar to my HD-28. But folks, its not supposed to be and I didn't buy it to be. My Larrivee D-05 doesn't sound like my Martin either, and I won't try to add a SBT or UST to either the Martin or the Larrivee. Instead, I wanted a good A/E, and I couldn't find a better deal for such a high quality axe than I did on the Ovation.

What's it all mean? Play happy by playing what brings you to that place in your soul resonating where the spirit of music is living in you.

I haven't found another group of owners in any area who have a difficult time comparing their possessions to another manufacturer. From Ducatis to Nikons, people seem to take too much time to compare their tools to someone elses instead of enjoying them. When one talks, one doesn't listen. When one writes, one isn't playing. Just my $.02 worth.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-09 6:22 AM (#192950 - in reply to #192933)

Aceboy......Yeah, we will sometimes take a pot shot at other brands. There have been plenty of shots fired in Ovations direction. But if I may speak about the tenor of this board, I think we all have a healthy level of respect for any well made guitar.
As an example. I am a Chevy guy.(sorry Roger) I am because I drove a '92 pick-up for over 11 year and put over 250k miles on it. I will be glad to talk about how happy I was with that truck. However I would *never* have a window sticker of a little kid peeing on a Ford logo. I think this board has a simular philosophy.
I have had the same Ovation for over 30 years. It has been very good to me and I don't mind saying so. I have had a hard time finding a better sounding acustic at any price.
This thread is more about what Martin has done as a promotion. They did something right.
Brad
aceboympk
Posted 2004-03-09 7:08 AM (#192951 - in reply to #192933)

Brad,

Thanks for taking a moment to explain. Martin did something right in many ways, and their brand loyalty and awareness reflects their mission. Its a shame that Ovation hasn't been as successful because I'm very impressed with my new axe. It exceeds my expectations and that's significant.

Regards,
Mark
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-09 7:29 AM (#192952 - in reply to #192933)

I initial wasn't going to comment really one way or the other, but when I read "we will sometimes take a pot shot at other brands" I thought about it, and we've ripped some new ones over OUR OWN BRAND more than any other brand I can think of. I think you will find most on this board to be equal opportunity mud-slingers. Most of us appreciate great craftsmanship no matter who is responsible.
peterbright
Posted 2004-03-09 7:41 AM (#192953 - in reply to #192933)

If it sounds good, I like it. Some brands in general don't meet my expectations based on their selling prices...not a real good value for the buck. Others (including Ovations) often exceed what would be expected for the price.
alpep
Posted 2004-03-09 7:41 AM (#192954 - in reply to #192933)

I hate everything and everybody.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-09 8:53 AM (#192955 - in reply to #192933)

Consistentcy can be a good thing....
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-03-09 9:02 AM (#192956 - in reply to #192933)

As can a spell-checker.
John B
Posted 2004-03-09 9:14 AM (#192957 - in reply to #192933)

Being a proud owner of both Martins and Ovations, I couldn't pass up on this thread. I think of my guitars like I would think of children. They are all different but I love them all equally. When I play gigs, I take one of Martins and my 12 string Legend (the latter being my newest guitar). Which guitar I choose depends mainly on what song I'm playing or what mood I'm in. I'm trying to play the 12 string as much as possible these days since I am new to 12 strings and still getting used to it. I will say that the workmanship and attention to detail on my Legend is every bit as good as either of my Martins. I will also say (again) that you just can't beat an Ovation when it comes to "plugged in" sound.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)